[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DAILY MATH CHALLENGE THREAD #3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Problem 1.png (8KB, 743x398px) Image search: [Google]
Problem 1.png
8KB, 743x398px
Welcome to the 3rd day of the Daily Math Challenge Thread! Work on math problems, post your solutions, and feel free to add your own problems!

Today's problem is pic related, with a second problem in the next post for those who don't like group theory.

Remember to have fun and take it easy.
>>
File: Problem 2.gif (5KB, 744x213px) Image search: [Google]
Problem 2.gif
5KB, 744x213px
>>8670377
And here is #2.
>>
>>8670377
i don't know any group theory
>>
>>8670380
That's why there's a 2nd problem.
>>
>>8670379
Hey, OP. Any tips for this one?
>>
>>8670377
my group theory is so rusty, all I know is that there's a nontrivial a s.t. a^2 = e and I've been trying to work with that. any hints?
>>
>>8670379
9/10
>>
>>8670377
can you just take the kernel of the map f: G to G defined by g to g^k? since f^2=0 map
>>
Give a pair of infinite fields where the additive group of one is isomorphic to the multiplicative group of the other.
>>
>>8670453
Telescoping series.

>>8670507
Let the mapping φ: G --> S_G be the regular representation. Show that if φ(x) has an odd permutation then G has a subgroup of index 2.

>>8670522
Correct!

>>8670538
Not sure I follow, can you explain?
>>
>>8670538
it's possible that f is the 0 map, say if the group is [math]\mathbb{Z}_2 \times /mathbb{Z}_k[\math]. In that case the kernel of f is everything
>>
>>8670566
I mean [math]\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_k[/math]
>>
>>8670453
[math] \dfrac {1}{a+b} = \dfrac {1}{a+b}\dfrac {a-b}{a-b}=\dfrac {a-b}{a^2-b^2} [/math]
Similar to what you do with complex numbers.
>>
>>8670570
why does g^k kill Z_2 if k is odd?
>>
>>8670592
nevermind, I was being dumb. You are right about Z_2.

Still, how do we know that the kernel has k elements? Also (and maybe this is a dumb question) why is the kernel even a subgroup? If G is nonabelian I don't see why xy must be in the kernel if x and y both are.
>>
>>8670605
>Also (and maybe this is a dumb question) why is the kernel even a subgroup?
kernels are always subgroups (in fact they're exactly the normal subgroups of a given group), and you need to check xy^{-1} for the subgroup test, not xy
>>
>>8670621
The kernel of a homomorphism is always a subgroup. Why is your f a homomorphism?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.