[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity Wells and Entropy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: iu[1].jpg (405KB, 1600x938px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
405KB, 1600x938px
Sorry if this has been asked before,but I was thinking about it on the shitter.

Light doesn't escape black holes, right? I'm assuming that means no energy or matter is able to.

With that said, couldn't a suitably massive gravity well serve as a "cosmic battery" of sorts? All in theory, of course.

We could draw in ambient energy via a gravity well and, in this fantasy where a gravity well can be activated and deactivated, retrieve energy as needed and do this indefinitely, right?
>>
>>8668870
>in this fantasy where a gravity well can be activated and deactivated
how do you mean?
you want to turn the gravity on and off?
>>
>>8669010
Not exactly, I can't think of a better way to describe it. I imagine a gravity well is passive but there might be some way to destroy it? And recreate it at some other point.
>>
>>8669013
>I imagine a gravity well is passive
A gravity well is just space time bent by large amounts of densely packed mass/energy. The gravity well of Earth and that of a black hole are fundamentally the same, except the black holes is larger and has a singularity at it's center. The bending of spacetime is a fundamental property of our universe, it cannot be destroyed.
>>
>>8669032
*black hole's
*its
god, where is my grammar
>>
>>8668870
The amount of energy needed to sustain an artifical gravity well would probably exceed the amount of energy it draws, but yes its theoretically possible
>>
File: 1443178549540.png (17KB, 481x436px) Image search: [Google]
1443178549540.png
17KB, 481x436px
>>8669085
>artifical gravity well
oh anon, I'm very interested in how you create an artifical gravity well
>>
>>8669103
Not him, but I guess he's figuring that if you gather enough energy you can create the mass to fold space? But that is by definition already a beyond fantastical battery so it's kind missing the point.

Alternatively, pumping energy directly into spacetime (???) to warp space locally would be... interesting. I'd be a lot more interested in reversing the process, though. It'd be pure flying saucer bullshit.
>>
>>8669130
>if you gather enough energy you can create the mass to fold space
a well created by a bunch of mass/energy is a natural well though, isn't it?
also
>fold
spacetime is bent, not folded

>pumping energy directly into spacetime
wat

I'd also really like to know how OP is going to extract the energy from his gravity well.
>>
>>8669034
black holes though
>>
>>8669172
Catch black body radiation along the event horizon?
>>
>>8669177
>except the black hole's (one) is larger
seems right to me
>>
>>8669181
that's not gonna be a lot
>>
>>8669188
Wouldn't it be all energy accumulated in time, though?
>>
>>8668870
>Also taking shit while posting

What if a blackhole is the start of a tube that is bend? Would is look the same from earth?

Could we
>>
>>8669194
if you don't mind waiting for trillions of years, then yes, you'd extract all of the black hole's energy
>>
>>8669205
Well the purpose is to use it as a means of staving off entropy; it should function as a battery that stores usable energy for as long as possible/releases it at a different rate than baseline universal entropy.
>>
>>8668870

As a purely hypothetical scenario, I think this already exists. It's called the Penrose process.
>>
>>8669172
Yeah I dunno where fold came from, think I had some sci-fi jargon bouncing in my head when I started pulling that other thing out of my ass. I guess fucking with gravity could be a thing if flying saucers are, but I'm hardly convinced of that.

>>8669188
If he made a small enough black hole, it's going to be a whole hell of a lot, but not for long.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.