[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the motivation for a non mathematician to learn about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1468029696649.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1468029696649.png
8KB, 420x420px
What's the motivation for a non mathematician to learn about complex numbers? What about infinite series?
>>
>>8663089
Complex numbers are extremely useful for modelling trigonometric functions due to De Moivre's theorem, so it is good for anyone who works with things that act like waves, such as physicists who work with waves or electricians who work with electricity.

Infinite series are a (usually) good way to turn a messy function in to something a little more clean. From there, you can sometimes find the derivative or integral of said function in certain conditions. Knowing if the series converges or diverges is important for knowing the radius of convergence, i.e. when it's okay to actually use the series to represent your function. Computer scientists and engineers may use just a few of the first terms of the series to approximate the function in that case (some engineer's go as far as approximating sin x as x on the interval [-1,1]).
>>
>>8663089
Those concepts are really trivial low-level math and therefore have applications everywhere. Just ask an engineer, but here is a warning:

Engineers are a weird bunch. Instead of writing the square root of -1 as 'i' they decided to write it as 'j' because they were not comfortable with a dick-shaped letter as short as i, given that the dicks they take up the ass are longer, like j. That said, those are still the complex numbers. Not some other weird set they discovered. The only things engineers discover are new cocks up their ass.
>>
File: sci humor.png (176KB, 1556x662px) Image search: [Google]
sci humor.png
176KB, 1556x662px
>>
File: malfoy reaction.gif (879KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
malfoy reaction.gif
879KB, 245x230px
>>8663123
I laughed way too hard at this.

t. math student
>>
>>8663089
Precal was specifically designed to filter out brainlets that can't handle things like complex numbers or series. Calculus, ironically, is much more simple than precal; but it's still good to know modern education still has standards and that I'm not attending with a bunch of ass hats that can't add or multiply infinite-fold.
>>
>>8663089
If you're asking this question you don't need to learn this stuff. Literally a single google search away.
>>
They have their uses in engineering, physics, computer graphics and surely many more fields.
>>
>>8663228
I don't get it
>>
>>8663382
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF
>>
File: 1458830277647.png (585KB, 855x643px) Image search: [Google]
1458830277647.png
585KB, 855x643px
>>8663123
>tfw Engineer
>the only engineering class where imaginaries have been involved was circuits
>the first class where I saw j used instead of i
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.