[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the effects of poverty and a poor social background

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: rippleeffectimages.org_.jpg (373KB, 1125x750px) Image search: [Google]
rippleeffectimages.org_.jpg
373KB, 1125x750px
What are the effects of poverty and a poor social background upon highly intelligent children?

For this question let us assume that IQ is a proper way to measure general intelligence (although we all know that there is far more to it than what can be evaluate with IQ tests*).

Let us also state that the average IQ of the population is 100.

>a) So, how does children with IQ’s in the high range of 120-130 tend to do when trapped in ghettos and environments with little opportunity and access to information and culture? Does the extra IQ points make them stand apart from the others even in such environments?

>b) Now to even rarer children, the ones with an IQ of above 130: same question as “a”.

*One example is creativity. I have read many studies that argue against or in favor of considering creativity part of what we call intelligence. I have also learned that most researchers found that above an IQ of approximately 120 the relations between raw intelligence (IQ scores) and creativity tend to be less significant (in other words, an individual with an IQ of 125 might be much more creative than one with an IQ of 150).
>>
>>8662527
Poverty and deprivation makes people dumber.
>>
>>8662529

Yes, of that I’m certain.

What I wanted to know is if highly intelligent children tend to stand out from their peers even in poor conditions.
>>
>>8662537
Some do, but because most of the poor people of the world don't have social mobility their intelligence gets wasted away, unless they're determined and/or lucky to have an opportunity to use that intelligence for good.

You have to remember that the health and nutrition of the mother during pregnancy, and of the child itself affects intelligence greatly.
>>
>>8662527
>I have also learned that most researchers found that above an IQ of approximately 120 the relations between raw intelligence (IQ scores) and creativity tend to be less significant (in other words, an individual with an IQ of 125 might be much more creative than one with an IQ of 150).

This is real? Source?
>>
>>8663603
Or maybe the researchers were too stupid to understand the 150 IQ kid's creativity.
>>
>>8663603

It is called threshold hypothesis.

I have read about it in a book that contained many articles about the topic of intelligence and creativity, but I dont have it with me right now.

But here: this article mentions the idea (altough it dosent seem to suport it entirely):

>The basic idea behind the threshold hypothesis is that high creativity requires high or at least above-average intelligence. At this, above-average intelligence is thought to form a necessary but not a sufficient condition for high creativity (Guilford, 1967). More specifically, it is assumed that there exists a threshold in intelligence which is usually set to an IQ of 120. While creativity should be limited by intelligence below this threshold, differences in intelligence should be no longer relevant to creativity above it. Accordingly, the threshold hypothesis predicts a correlation between measures of creativity and IQ only in low to average IQ samples, whereas there should be no correlation in groups of higher IQ.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3682183/
>>
>>8662527

>A quality related to both intelligence and giftedness is creativity, which can be defined as the ability to produce valued outcomes in a novel way. Creativity is related to intelligence, but the correlation is far from perfect. In general, intelligence in a particular area seems to be a necessary condition for creativity but not a sufficient one. Individuals with IQs below 120 are less likely to display creative thinking than those with a higher IQ, but above 120, the correlation between intelligence and creativity is essentially zero.

from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471415960/sr=1-1/qid=1153713432/ref=sr_1_1/104-4251552-3286319?ie=UTF8&s=books
>>
>>8664623

also this:

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=_dK79AdKmIoC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=above+an+iq+of+120+creativity&source=bl&ots=Rbgvg9ef3g&sig=ISImRaL9GszOqqqbZOlRYm9NoRg&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwrt6rx4XSAhUGl5AKHRY2DQQQ6AEISTAG#v=onepage&q=above%20an%20iq%20of%20120%20creativity&f=false

see page 86
>>
>>8664623
lol
>>
>>8662527

It kinda works like this; you can't really make people go past their potential, but there are plenty of ways to make them worse.
>>
File: the son also rises.gif (98KB, 630x453px) Image search: [Google]
the son also rises.gif
98KB, 630x453px
>>8662537
>What I wanted to know is if highly intelligent children tend to stand out from their peers even in poor conditions.

tl:dr: yes.
>>
>>8662537
Education is a protective factor in regards to getting a mental illness while in poverty.

I think it would be reasonable to extrapolate that the level of education obtained by someone is indicative of the IQ of that individual.

So you could say that high IQ is a protective factor against mental illness.

but of course, how can a beautiful flower grow if it is blocked from sunlight?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.