[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Li-Fi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: lifi.jpg (33KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
lifi.jpg
33KB, 800x450px
Do you autists think this will ever be useful or is it just a meme?
>>
Optical Wireless Communications too, not just Li-Fi
>>
>>8661454
It's technically feasible and offers a lot of advantages (especially with respect to bandwidth), but considering the drawbacks as well as the fact that most applications will be bottlenecked somewhere else anyways, it's not worth implementing yet.
>Optical Wireless Communications too
In a broader sense, this is a lot more practical and advantageous, especially for telecommunications infrastructure at the backhaul level. A fiber-optic cable could be replaced by a series of laser transceivers, avoiding major easement costs and hurdles.
>>
How fast can you switch a regular LED?
>>
>>8661638
Fast enough for 10+Gb/s transmissions
>>
>>8661635
What drawbacks do you mean? If you mean range of the light, there doesn't need to be line of sight for transmission to succeed, it just slows it down.
>>
>>8661653

What??? That sounds amazing. How?

Doesn't the short wave bounce off of everything? Even wifi in the other room is sometimes a challenge, so how is li-fi viable without a line of sight?
>>
>>8661666
As long as light can hit the receiver, it will receive data transmission. When the wave bounces off objects, it'll lose its strength and information like radio waves do. But, since lifi is designed to be covering a small area, long distance data loss isn't a problem
>>
>>8661676

Ah, I see. So, "doesn't need to be a line of site", means behavior similar to what you might expect in a remote control?

When you mentioned that obstacles are not too much of a problem, I was excited about the possibility of using li-fi for building an indoor positioning system (i.e. analogous to GPS).
>>
>>8661653
>>8661676
Go ahead and try bouncing your TV remote's infrared signal off a wall and let me know how that goes.
>>
>>8661702
Indoor positioning like obstacle detection or something smaller? You could use sonar for obstacle detection
>>
>>8661709

That sounds fun too, but I was hoping for something that would enable sort of the opposite.

GPS isn't very accurate and uses techniques that are not applicable indoors because of the typical obstacles you would encounter inside a building (e.g. shelves or people in a supermarket).
>>
>>8661708
It's not a very high powered signal coming from the remote
>>
>losing all the signal when something obstructs the light path
That's just fucking ridiculous
>>
>>8661708
It works pretty well actually.
>>
>in the future, DDoS'ing someone means causing a blackout in their home

If someone figures out the link there's gonna be some bad home raids.
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1417050207032_massive.jpg (183KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1417050207032_massive.jpg
183KB, 1200x1200px
>>8661454
I've been reading Ember War books and they use IR exclusively for communications.

No, I don't think this technology is very viable for popular in-home data communications. There are too many flaws with it. The main one being that the IR receiver needs to be exposed enough to pick up the IR signal. Most small devices are so small that simply holding them can cause problems with receiving. Things like smartphones normally have a 3rd party non-slip case on them which further obscures the IRr's aperture.

Sure, this would be quite fine for those of us with the concept of not blocking the IRr aperture, but the world is ruled by retards.

However, having this type of system along with your normal wifi system is good. If the wifi drops out, this can take over and vice-versa. Overlapping redundant systems are always a good idea.

>>8661708
That works well, depending on the power of your remote. I did it all the time back in the 1990s. If you use a camera that has IR "night vision" you can see the LED in the remote blinking and tell how far the light is effective and how much it bounces around.
>>
>>8662109
That's an easy fix. Just have the hardware on the light to be normally-on and if it detects x amount of ms continually off it will stay on instead. No need for a software fix, a capacitor transistor setup can do that easily.
>>
>>8662109
Wouldn't they have to be inside the home because of how light won't travel through walls?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.