[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terraforming the love planet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Venuspioneeruv.jpg (2MB, 2008x2158px) Image search: [Google]
Venuspioneeruv.jpg
2MB, 2008x2158px
Let's discuss this a bit, /sci/
Is there known semi-practical (think doesn't take raping the kardashev scale or several billion years) method by which to alter Venus' albedo?
Anything, chemical based or cloud seeding, that could possibly react in some way with the atmosphere and make it reflect more light, thus hopefully having the effect of warding off some heat which is ultimately the main enemy in working with that planet.
>>
sexy planet very bb
>>
No magnetic field (no internal dynamo)
No plate tectonics
Surface temperature 737K
Rotational period of nearly 225 days.
Too close to the sun.

Yeah, Venus is not really an ideal prospect for terraforming. It makes Mars look like a garden of eden. Even if you were to somehow make the atmosphere and surface hospitable, it would still lack the magnetic field that is pretty critical in protecting life from UV radiation, much like Mars.

Would cloud seeding even be able to cool the planet down enough anyways, with its proximity to the sun? How many years would a cloud albedo effect take to cool the entire planet down to a habitable temperature? Where would you get the water to create the clouds, and how would you prevent it from being stripped away by solar winds?
>>
File: Ship_dropping_ice_in_ocean.png (903KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ship_dropping_ice_in_ocean.png
903KB, 640x480px
>>8657682
>>
We could move it from its orbit to one at a farther distance from the sun.
Surprising as it may sound it's technically possible, but it would take millions of years and it would also collide with earth.
>>
>>8657682
Venus' albedo is already .84. How much brighter do you expect to be able to make it?
>>
>>8657682
i can alter your mom's albedo with some cheap booze and a box of french fries so maybe you should try that
>>
>>8659474

How do you propose to cool it them? Put a fan there?
Either make it get absorb heat from the sun or radiate more. Ain't no rocket science.
>>
>Build a fuck-huge rail gun on its surface around equator.

>freeze massive bullets of atmosphere and fire them at mars

>thousand years later the rotational speed has increased enough that a day is more like a month instead of a year.

>all that atmosphere is now on mars, impacts have melted polar caps. bam, two habitable planets bitch

>steer water laden comets into venus to import water.

And don't give me that "no magnetic field so atmosphere will leave mars" bullshit. Solar radiation will strip an artificial atmosphere away in tens of thousands of years. It doesn't just blow it away overnight. We would have an atmosphere on mars for plenty of human generations if we made one. Also we can keep replenishing it.
>>
>>8660002

I don't think railguns will work at that temperature or atmospheric pressure.
>>
>>8660056
It would have to be an intense gun for sure.
>>
>>8659964
>How do you propose to cool it them?
I don't. Why would I want to?
The question was, how to raise the albedo.
>>
I think if forcefields or some practical equivalent are invented Venus would actually be better than Mars just because of the gravity issue. Any babies born on Mars will be fucked up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.