[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does this make you feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: abc.jpg (50KB, 635x854px) Image search: [Google]
abc.jpg
50KB, 635x854px
Ludwig to Bertrand: "I'm not sure if I"m an idiot or not, if I am, I'll be an engineer, if not I"ll go into philosophy"
>>
File: 1371307603473.png (31KB, 775x380px)
1371307603473.png
31KB, 775x380px
Philosophy is the last resort for pseudo-intellectual teenagers who are too uneducated to talk about actual science and math where their baseless drivel would be objectively disproved.
>>
>>8657133

yo tard muffin, verifying theories through falsification is from philosophy, Karl Popper, look it up faggot
>>
>>8657133

lols, math and science were bastard children birthed from philosophy. you mad bro?
>>
>>8657133
Retarded

Go meme about Calc II in another thread
>>
>>8657133
you should kill yourself faggot
>>
>>8657133
how are integrals treating you pseud?
>>
>>8657128
The scientifically useful philosophy consists of someone who knows everything known in a scientific field, thinking WHAT IF expanding on that thought through logic, and discovering a new aspect of an old topic, that can be quantified. In this respect every scientist ever who has discovered anything unless by complete accident, has used philosophy as an indispensable tool. This work is the very pinnacle of reasoning and creativity combined.
>>
>>8657133
You know math becomes indistinguishable from philosophy the further in you go
>>8657139
>bastard child
You mean postmodernism?
>>
>>8657133
Empiricism is philosophy you fucking idiot. Also people seem to always neglect ethics and politics, both branches of philosophy which clearly have really big practical applications.
>>
>>8657139
Philosophy is just playing with words to convey the feeling of "deepness", words are a human thing, basically it's just boring poetry, it has no universal reach.
Math and science is universal, it existed long before human existed ("there is more food on this tree than this one, so I'll go on the first tree" is an optimization problem done by animals for exemple), it cannot be born for something as insignificant as phoilosophy.
>>
>>8657128
philosophy is just inconsequential meaningless mental masturbation, at least engineers are useful.
>>
>>8657489
HOW DARE YOU FUCKING SAY THAT YOU RETARDED PIECE OF SHIT YOU SHOULD FUCKING ILL YOURSELF BEFORE I TAKE CARE OF THAT YOU IDIOTIC CUNT
>>
>>8657490
sorry i bursted your bubble, OP
>>
>>8657128
It's fine. I think what he means is that engineering is a safe career, anyone who is moderately intelligent can be a successful engineer.
Now philosophy, you'll only be a successful philosopher if you're genuinely a very intelligent, deep and creative thinker. What he's asking Bertie is essentially "Am I onto something?" "Do I have the potential to actually make a contribution to philosophy?".
>>
File: mfw.gif (599KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
599KB, 200x200px
>>8657128
>mfw people think philosophy is a science just because they used to call physics 'natural philosophy'
>>
>>8657128
Philosophy is empty grandiloquence, just like atheism.
>>
>>8657133
false you damn fake scientist, probably an engineer
philosophy is the mother of science, without the Logic work we couldnt have computers
>>
>>8657517
>being a STEMlord AND a christfag
how do you cope with your inferiority?
>>
>>8657128
>"I'm not sure if I"m an idiot or not, if I am, I'll be an engineer, if not I"ll go into philosophy"

I'd see a certain point to it. All knowledge in natural sciences and engineering are based on solid proof/experimental data. You may sometimes have trouble understanding the consequences of a statement, but there is always something about any statement you can say with 100%: is it true or not.

Philosophy doesn't have that, because it deals with all the questions which natural sciences cannot answer. As a consequence, some of it ends up being empty babbling, but some of it is also quite meaningful (i.e. Interpretations of QM)
>>
File: 1483804941465.jpg (984KB, 2958x3870px) Image search: [Google]
1483804941465.jpg
984KB, 2958x3870px
philosophy is nothing but art of convincing people that you are right
any system that was introduced to me during my philosophy lessons was quite credible and convincing even though many of them were conflicting and contradicting each other
all those "profound thinkers" did nothing but mystify people with their analogies and ebin cherrypicking in order to convince they are such

it has some valid and sublime goals, like preparation of death, and philosophy of life in general, but only occasionally.
main goal of is control over people's minds: the good philosopher is the one that has a lot of people he managed to convince and maybe even disciples
to think that philosophy is humankind's endeavour to find the ultimate truth, having that considered, is ridiculous
to think it has any sort of rigour - even more so
>>
Did he truly say that? Any proof?
>>
>>8657133
Only bitch faggot 15 year olds who like Nietzsche fit that definition. Real philosophers like Wittgenstein and Carnap and Quine were geniuses. Even today we got Saul Kripke, a prodigy in logic. He is a fucking genius.
>>
>>8658535

Yes, read Wittgenstein's Poker, it was when Ludwig was considering going into philosophy and spoke with Russell about it.
>>
>>8658635
It says the book is about Wittgenstein and Karl Popper arguing though
>>
>>8658644

Yes I own the book, the argument is 10 minutes, the book is 300 pages, it's giving the back ground and context of both Ludwig and Karl, and considering Ludwig was Bertrand's protege, he plays a prominent role in this book.
>>
>>8657128
spoken like someone who's never done any real engineering.
>>
>>8658668

Ludwig was an engineer you moron
>>
>>8658672
Really? Then why the fuck does he speak like he's never done any real engineering, buttmuncher?
>>
>>8658702
Because the tropes of what people thought about applied maths vs. humanities was at one point reversed.
>>
>>8657489
>Science
>is
>philosophy

By the way, if you don't have enough people in the world of human affairs who philosophically value science (and, by extension math/engineering), you don't get science funding, you don't get scientists, and you don't get science.

Yeah, people should stop mentally masturbating over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. But philosophy has many useful fields, such as ethics ("should we pour our money into researching medicine, or weapons?" That is a question with philosophical answers that effects how science is performed directly)

tired of the "philosophy is just the parts of philosophy I think are useless" meme.
>>
ITT: science undergrads who knows jackshit about philosophy discuss "philosophy"
>>
>>8657316
>someone who knows everything known in a scientific field
not posible
>>
>>8658820
triggered much you cocksucker?
>>
>>8658879
Please do not be insulted if I bring up the simple facts about this board.
>>
>>8657128
He looks like Dmitri Shostakovich.
>>
File: 38908249-satellite-wallpapers.jpg (427KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
38908249-satellite-wallpapers.jpg
427KB, 2560x1600px
all the philosophy bashers on /sci/ gotta go

it's like making fun of your mother for having bad genetics

she gave birth to math, physics and the scientific method

so if you like these things, or derivatives of, you should shut up cuz your brainlet is showing

all top tier scientist respect their momma, you should too
>>
>>8658769
what do you mean?
>>
>>8657138
So philosophers started mentally masturbating a topic that scientists had taken as common sense hundreds of years before?
>>
>>8658993
you should go back to your circlejerk board /lit/teral retard
>>
>>8659361
You should kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
>>8659378
>he's /lit/erally shaking right now
>>
>>8657133
have you guys learned the quotient rule yet?
>>
>>8657128
Engineers are idiots though?
>>
>>8657133
>everyone taking my bait
I thought /sci/ was for the smart-o's
>>
>>8659501
Sheldum of Big Bangs says so so it must be trueth.
>>
>>8657471
>>8657489
>>8657517
>I'm a brainlet and I can't deny
>>
>>8659898
>i'm a philosophycuck and i'm unemployed
>>
>>8659898
As an engineer I've never seen a philosopher do anything beneficial for humanities ultimate goal.
Spoiler: The goal is not to live in our own garbage until we get grilled by our own sun
>>
>>8659905
I'm an engineer m8.

>>8659908
They indirectly benefit mankind by giving science orientation. Without philosophy there's no scientific method and we'd end up studying pseudoscientific and false ideas.
>>
>>8659924
>pseudoscientific
And yet it didn't prevent "Women studies" and similar bullshit
>>
>>8659935
One atomic part doesn't define the whole.
>>
>>8659938
No, but it sure as hell point out the errors in the system
>>
>>8657138
>>8657139
>>8657145
>>8657147
>>8657148
>>8657419
>>8657426
>>8657725
>>8658563
>>8659481

what's with the phylosophy shilling? Is /lit/ raiding us?

You are unenployed for a reason, brainlets

>>8659535
>i was merely pretending to be retarded
false flag, fucking shills.
>>
>>8659924
>They indirectly benefit mankind by giving science orientation. Without philosophy there's no scientific method and we'd end up studying pseudoscientific and false ideas.
>doesn't realize that anthropogenic global warming is a mainstream scientific theory

boi...
>>
>>8659935
garbage ideas like "cultural studies" get momentum because those faculties are specifically marketed to plebs. why do you think facebook news outlets peddle that shit so hard?

don't blame philosophy for the shortcomings of the herd and our ingrained media obsession. people will subject themselves to the programming (brainwash) regardless.
>>
>>8659946
>what's with the phylosophy shilling? Is /lit/ raiding us?
Majoring in philosophy is fucking retarded, I agree. However, studying it in your freetime once in a while isn't a bad thing to do. I mean, science is built upon the philosophical principal of the scientific method and the foundations of mathematics are built upon logic.
>>
>>8659955
*principal
principle
>>
>>8659955
you might be right.
Also you might be a shill using sound logic to confuse me.
You shouldn't really try to reason with someone with acute paranoid delusions.
>>
"I don't believe in empirical science. I only believe in a priori truth." - Kurt Godel
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.