[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deep Learning fags BTFO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: anime_smug.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
anime_smug.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
https://openreview.net/forum?id=Sy8gdB9xx
>Our results challenge the classical view of learning by showing that many successful neural networks easily have the effective capacity for sheer memorization. This leads us to believe that these models may very well make use of massive memorization when tackling the problems they are trained to solve. It is likely that learning in the traditional sense still occurs in part, but it appears to be deeply intertwined with massive memorization. Classical approaches are therefore poorly suited for reasoning about why these models generalize well.
>groundbreaking work
>the only 10/10 paper at one of most prestigious conferences in AI
Deep Learning is just glorified memoization. The most relevant field in CompSci has just been proved to be a hoax.
>>
What makes you think your brain works differently?
>>
>>8656904
Winter IA.
>>
>>8656904
dude the comeputer is like a replica of the brain man
>>
>>8656923

This. 99.99% of things I do everyday I know how to do by heart. I haven't learned them, I have memorized a huge fucking shit load of puzzle pieces that I can put together to solve a huge amount of situations.

also 99.99% of the time the pieces go together in almost the same way every time.
>>
>>8656938
That's utterly and completely missing the point. People want these kinds of systems to be able to GENERALIZE i.e. be able to tell that a cat viewed from a different angle or some shit from the cats it was trained on is still a cat. These guys do a bunch of experiments to show that what they more likely do is memorize and do shallow comparisons.

Not surprising really, this kind of supervised CNN-type crap has always rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully this gets people thinking more about GANs, VAEs, and other methods of learning that are more subtle than shoving a million labeled images through a network.

Glad this was shown before they started using these to diagnose cancer or some shit.
>>
>>8656977
blease describe GANS and VAES
Also, couldnt the shallow comparisons be refined later?
>>
>>8656904
hardly. The authors still admit that "large neural networks generalize well in practice."

>>8656977
GANS are a type of deep learning though. CNNs are on their way out already because adversarial examples are a problem.
>>
Deep learning a shit. Hand-crafted features are where it's at.
This once again proves that only human is capable of making breakthroughs.
>>
>>8657027
>GANS are a type of deep learning though.
Yeah but the way they're designed helps deter this kind of thing. If the discriminator is just memorizing then the generator will pick up on it and create data specifically to exploit that weakness, thereby getting rid of it. Theoretically anyway.
>>
>>8657042
GAN main purpose is not to train the discriminator but the generator. The discriminator is deliberately made weak so that the discriminator can learn experience from interacting with it.
>>
File: confused.jpg (8KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
8KB, 300x256px
>>8656904
>Deep neural networks work extremely well for certain tasks
>We keep finding new uses for them
>Deep Learning fags BTFO
>>
>>8656904
>including a tl;dr in a research paper
Is this a joke?
>>
>>8656904
Yes, we know that there is a lot of theoretical bleakness in ML. That's why it's more important to focus on the practical successes while we can still leverage improved computing power.
>>
File: 1479266334823.jpg (10KB, 157x157px) Image search: [Google]
1479266334823.jpg
10KB, 157x157px
You can't fool me. I know the practical successes of CNNs are too high and are going to replace countless millions of jobs and be worth billions. You're trying to minimise interest to keep those billions to yourself but I see right through your tricks
>>
>>8657797

Not to mention that you can build GANs with CNNs... this entire discussion is like, 'LOL WE /truck/ NOW! TEAR OUT THAT ENGINE!!!'
>>
File: alphago-vs-lee-sedol-2_w_600.jpg (43KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
alphago-vs-lee-sedol-2_w_600.jpg
43KB, 600x344px
>>8656904
Hi. You are wrong.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.