[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /sci/'s opinion on Nicotine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: Is-Nicotine-Really-That-Bad.jpg (17KB, 556x270px) Image search: [Google]
Is-Nicotine-Really-That-Bad.jpg
17KB, 556x270px
What is /sci/'s opinion on Nicotine?
>>
>>8655222

It promotes memory.

other than being extremely physically addictive.

no.
>>
>>8655222
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Adverse_effects
>>
>>8655222
With a quick google search I have found Nicotine is actually good for you:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4151954/Does-explain-schizophrenics-smoke.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3799977/How-NICOTINE-help-prevent-obesity-dementia-Drug-reduces-appetite-slows-brain-s-ageing.html

http://www.livescience.com/1821-volume-knob-brain.html
>>
>>8655222
The neurotransmitter is acetylcholine, why smokers rarely get Alzheimer's.
www.google.com/search?q=acetylcholine+alzheimer's
>>
>>8655222
Nicotine might not be that bad. But inhaling burnt plant matter (and the load of other shit that is put into cigarettes) certainly is that bad.
>>
>>8655222
The problem is inhaling fumes from burning plants, not the nicotine
If only there was an easier way to consume it.
>>
>>8655465
Tinctures?
>>
>>8655222
2addictive4me
>>
>>8655465
>gum
>stickers
>chewing
>snuff
>vape
yeah
>>
File: how-snus-works-1a[1].jpg (15KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
how-snus-works-1a[1].jpg
15KB, 360x240px
>>8655465
>>
File: 1461396427908.jpg (37KB, 480x479px) Image search: [Google]
1461396427908.jpg
37KB, 480x479px
>>8655243
>dailymail
>>
smokeing = shit
use nicotine gum or patches

on wiki it claims it increases cognetive abilities
>>
>>8655222
It's not really harmful unless you're a fetus or baby-child.
>>
>>8655543
>on wiki it claims it increases cognetive abilities
Because it's a stimulate
>>
>>8655222
i stopped ciggies for a month or so and started studying hard until yesterday when i realized that i haven't memorized absolutely anything

bought a pack today, i already feel 'sharper', i'm not even baiting

either it definitely helps or my brain was dependent on nicotine to actually function, probably both
>>
>>8655526
>snus

I'm a neuroscientist in the US and know a couple academic scientists who snus a lot as you can just keep it in while doing labwork.

My PI said one of his colleagues when he was a postdoc would always smoke with a hand outside the window (this was before all the second hand smoke laws)
>>
Bad for your heart like all stims, only as risky as caffeine standalone. Only addictive when combined with an Maoi like those occurring naturally in tobacco.
>>
>>8655618
Nicotine withdraw and the nicotine buzz you got
>>
>>8655222
Any potential benefits of nicotine are far outweighed by the negatives....
>>
>>8655222
Apart from being highly addictive, nicotine itself isn't really that bad. The main health hazards of smoking are the inhalation of burnt, cured plant matter and the shitload of toxins and carcinogens that most cigarettes have.

Best option is nicotine patches or gums. If you want/have to smoke, grow and cure your own tobacco and cure it yourself (or find a local provider who does) and use a pipe.
>>
>>8655682
You conflate smoking and nicotine. And even smoking is overstated considering Greece and Japan have outsized smoking rates to their longevity.
>>
File: torus_earth.jpg (101KB, 445x378px) Image search: [Google]
torus_earth.jpg
101KB, 445x378px
Is it possible for 3-dimensional beings that exist within an n-dimensional universe (n>4) to build 4-dimensional objects?

Assuming the existence of non-baryonic matter, and matter with negative or imaginary mass. What i'm vaguely picturing is folding the 3-d space and combining 3-d objects in a certain direction through the 4th dimension. When I mention dimension, I am excluding time.
>>
>>8655222
It's only good if it's not in a tar based substance
Otherwise it's a good drug
>>
File: 1485518724947.jpg (70KB, 750x751px) Image search: [Google]
1485518724947.jpg
70KB, 750x751px
β€˜β€™In dependent smokers, smoking during withdrawal returns cognitive abilities to pre-withdrawal levels, but chronic use may not offer cognitive benefits over not smoking.[19][75]’’
basically dont its degenerate and it promotes cancer in vitro, its quite a loss on all levels
>>
nicotine is anti-estrogenic
>>
>studies linking oral/pharyngeal cancer rates are linked to smokeless tobacco exist
>studies also show no correlation, such as the studies in Swedish snus showing similar cancer rates of its selected non-users and the rates of its snus users

I also read studies showing a decrease in cognitive brain disorders like dementia if they consumed a regular amount of dark chocolate.
I think the study was sponsored by Hershey's though
>>
>>8655770
It's logically not possible for those in lower dimensions to even begin to understand how extradimensional objects might be "shaped" because all we can see of them are their projections in space.
>>
>>8655526
To be fair, snus isn't great for your gums. It's better than smoking overall but it's still bad for you.
>>
A great product to sell to developing nations, that have pro-enterprise marketing laws.
>>
File: 1485550429278.png (270KB, 816x634px) Image search: [Google]
1485550429278.png
270KB, 816x634px
It was used as a pesticide at one point.

I read that an overdose on nicotine is a euphoric way to die.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.