[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If we met with an Alien race

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: russian x-files.jpg (287KB, 1920x1832px) Image search: [Google]
russian x-files.jpg
287KB, 1920x1832px
To what degree would be able to communicate with them? According to science about 90% of all communication is based upon body language.
But does that only apply to Earth based lifeforms or could some of it be universal?

For example, we know that communicating with animals in general is pretty easy. But is it only because of our shared evolution, or could their intellect play a role too? For example, dogs are able to read our facial expressions and detect our moods based of smell, body language, vocal tone. We can do that as well, with most animals too - cats, birds, bats, etc. Most people find it really easy to "read" whether an animal is comfortable, happy, distressed or hungry.

There are universal gestures as well, reaching back for millions of years. How most animals sigh the same way we do. In fact, fish sigh too. There's sneezing, universal gestures for getting comfortable, being agitated, checking whether somebody is following us, hissing and showing teeth when angry, making loud noises when scared etc.

Theoretically if we ran into Aliens who had eyes and ears could we make them understand us on some level with these basic signals?
>>
>>8654912
did anyone else just watch arrival?
>>
>>8654924
That was a terrible movie
>>
>>8654940
you just don't like seeing a female lead you sexist fuck
>>
>>8654912
I would eat Scully out for days on end
>>
>>8654942
Shut your whore mouth, Amy Adams has been a favorite of mine since Enchanted. But Arrival was legit horrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15UKexKf4k
>>
>>8654912
Depends on the circumstances of the meeting. If they are coming to us then they'd very probably have the technology to reverse engineer us and our culture to make some kind of smart human megaphone for their thoughts prior to making contact (i.e. Contact).

If we're meeting them then we'd probably have such technology.

I don't see there being much successful direct communication between species barring that we live in some kind of Star Trek universe where aliens are actually just blue and green humans with pointy ears.
>>
File: in0o6d.jpg (182KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
in0o6d.jpg
182KB, 1067x1600px
>>8654942
denis villeneuve has turned into a hack, his older films were of much higher quality
>>
>>8654942
>you just don't like seeing a female lead you sexist fuck
people who acually think like this don't belong here
>>
File: 1481523018723.gif (208KB, 323x221px) Image search: [Google]
1481523018723.gif
208KB, 323x221px
>>8654924
>>8654940
agreed, so much wrong with this fucking flick.

>>8654942
just because there's a female lead doesn't mean the movie needs to follow female "logic"
>>
>>8654912
The more I think of it the less I buy into the whole "the alien race will be so fundamentally different" argument. when both civilizations are so advanced that they could possibly meet in space I think communications will be very quickly figured out.
>>
It's this sort of silliness I want to quash. People who have followed my thread realise it is a destination that ends in madness, because it is a place that NO OTHER HUMAN LIVES. I am not going to keep digging down just because nobody is talking to me.

Communication. All these aliens have been figuring out is how to help us communicate with them. We've been a bit rowdy and hard for them to understand, but it is fine.

We are individuals joined by a bajillion whatever quantum strings you want. You are simply a representation of 'you' in 3d space. You aren't part of a singularity nor ARE you a singularity. You're both.

We are all human. Please, stop thinking that I am anything more than just a human.

Or you will go mad and be left alone like I have been.
>>
>>8654912
Run your own experiments by trying this with the гoпники
>>
>>8654912
Establish communication.
Make yourself known in a non threatening way.
When the other being sees you, just stop. Sit down. Wait for it to do something.
If it is at least comparably smart to most humans, it will have figured out that it is its turn.
The smart thing to do here, is to mimic, then reciprocate by furthering the communication. Sit down and, do a motion that you assume the other life form can mimic. Slowly lift your hand to day hi. Keep the hand raised. Now you need to do the same. Lift your hand. When the other lowers theirs, you do so also. Now is a good situation to do some show and tell. If you happen to have a snickers bar, break it in half, and give the other half to the life form, and keep the first one. Eat half a snickers bar. If the other life form gives you something, take it. If it eats the half snickers bar, you eat what it gave you. If it does not, you do not.
Now that you have an alien pal, try to invite it home with you. slowly get up, and take two steps towards a route to your home. If it follows you, take it home, and show it some neat things you have, and a geometry textbook, if you have it.
>>
>>8655183
please leave
>>
Many encounter reports involve the 'aliens' telepathically communicating with the contactees

One particularly interesting case was in Ruwa, Zimbabwe in 1994, where several children reported the same thing.
You can watch their interviews here
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bgZE8s0hBRQ
>>
>>8655503
There's an awful lot of presuppositions in this post. Like the fact that Aliens are vaguely humanoid in shape so they have hands (though it could be argued that intelligent life requires extremities capable of fine motor movement) and the fact that they can digest carbohydrates, even though their physiology might be drastically different from ours and could be based on silicone for example.

Thus - great job - you just poisoned the first extraterrestrial we've ever met, it's not like their kin would be upset about that, possibly breaking off all communications, or interpreting this as hostile behavior or even an outright declaration of war.

Or worse, what if they can digest it, and they decide they like it? What if they're really into carbon based food- and might just decide to hunt us down because we're a delicacy? Seriously. RULE NUMBER ONE. Don't ever feed the ayy lmaos. With anything.
>>
>>8655859
I'd assume it either knows not to eat it, or it knows to eat it. If it knows what we eat, then it will know roughly what we can eat. If it offers you something, it may be for one of two nice reasons, either for you to eat, or for you to study. If it eats the snickers then assume it knows what we can eat, and assume it knows it can also eat it. If it does not eat it, then treat the situation as an exchange of samples.
If they make it here, they are superior to us technologically to such an extent that our only chance of survival is in their good will.
>>
>>8655599
Worst approached ufo case, ever.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.