[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematical induction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 20170205_173726.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170205_173726.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Working through old problems that I haven't done yet and I've been stuck on this one all day now.
Anybody mind telling me what I'm doing wrong?

I don't understand where that [math]\sqrt{n + 1}[/math] is supposed to come from in the end.
Is this the wrong approach?
>>
>>8653657
didn't you simplify something incorrectly in the steps between the >= and the next =? it's a multiplication, not an addition
>>
>>8653674
(2n+1)=2(n+1)-1
>>
>>8653657
Use this statement:

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P)) --> ∀n(n∈P))
>>
you forgot to multiply the. (-1/(n+1)) by everything else, 2 rows b4 the ???
>>
Lol just finished doing induction proofs in discrete math. Some of the algebra was pretty annoying and the way to manipulate things was stuff I've never seen
>>
>>8653703
Examples? Did it involve factorials?
>>
I think I have the answer but I don't know latex, so this will take a while to format. Check back in a bit OP.
>>
>>8653657
The crux of the induction hypothesis is that the original proposition is true.

So assume 2n choose n > = stuff.

Then just show 2n+1 choose n+1 > 2n choose n.

If that's true, then 2n+1 choose n+1 >= stuff.
>>
File: test1.gif (3KB, 250x176px) Image search: [Google]
test1.gif
3KB, 250x176px
>>8653913 here, finally done with latex.

Continuing from >>8653657, at the line where you used the induction hypothesis
>>
File: test2.gif (8KB, 370x292px) Image search: [Google]
test2.gif
8KB, 370x292px
>>8654044
>>
>>8653913
I'm gonna go to bed, if you're still about to post something I'll see it in the morning. Thanks for the effort.

>>8653702
Looks like I did, thanks. That didn't help me solve it either though, I think I have a wrong approach altogether.
>>
File: test3.gif (8KB, 523x185px) Image search: [Google]
test3.gif
8KB, 523x185px
>>8654050
And this is it

I used blue to indicate cancelling a term, and gold for annotations

I'm not sure if this is correct though
>>
>>8654052
>>8654050
>>8654044
>>8654053
Oh wow, guess I'm not going to bed then.
>>
>>8654050
Lines 4 - 5 of this image are the same, disregard the duplicate line

Everything else seems correct, but I already spent a few hours looking at this so I'm not the most reliable source. Anyway op, you really ought to use the homework board (>>>/hm/) for these kinds of threads!
>>
>>8654053
Thanks a bunch for this, anon, looks correct to me.
I can rest easy now.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.