[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do outstanding mathematicans have superpowers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1476930183429.gif (627KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1476930183429.gif
627KB, 500x363px
Things happened to me (smart but lazy):
* seeing random symbols when going to sleep.
* dreaming of solving problems when sleeping.
* hearing a woman explaining a theorem while waking up.
* associating handwriting to personalities.
* semi-consciously applying math problem solving when talking to people.
Mine are minor and stupid. But:
>He [von Neumann] believed that much of his mathematical thought occurred intuitively, and he would often go to sleep with a problem unsolved, and know the answer immediately upon waking up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_von_Neumann
>When asked about the methods Ramanujan employed to arrive at his solutions, Hardy said that they were "arrived at by a process of mingled argument, intuition, and induction, of which he was entirely unable to give any coherent account."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
>He was not a very careful person as a mathematician. He made a lot of mistakes. But he made mistakes in a good direction. I tried to imitate him. But I've realized that it's very difficult to make good mistakes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutaka_Taniyama
>>
>>8653177
your brain always works subconsciously, anyone good at maths has the goes to bed and wakes up with solutions. Bonus points, my brain spits out proofs anytime anywhere, shower, pooping, eating.

I try to maximize it by studying until I get stuck on everything then do something else until my brain just magically gives me the answer.
>>
File: richard_feynman.png (8KB, 664x79px) Image search: [Google]
richard_feynman.png
8KB, 664x79px
[reference needed]
>>
Time and time again, I associate EVERYTHING with math and time and time again I have noticed that you can't fuck with math.
It's math 24/7 with me, everything from simple arithmetic to complex things and it's a good way to clear your head in a way.
Stuck trying to comprehend a theorem?
Go do a near mindless activity (video games, sports, anything physical) but still keep that theorem in the back of your head. Eventually to me my brain associates something back to math and the solution is clear and present.
>>
>>8653184

This.

You're not special, everyone gets this at some point. Drop the pretension and get on with it.
>>
Yeah I'll usually go to sleep with a mathematical proof on my mind or a problem I am to solve or think of.

When I wake up, the problem is typically either answered or I will have been able to move on in the proposition, understanding the mathematician's logic.

It seems this happens with mathematics very visibly, but I am telling you this can happen with any field you study in for a while.
>>
>>8653177
So being smart as opposed to the masses being "not smart" (dumb): isn't enough? You have to fantasize about being superguy, supergenius. Can't you just call the masses stupid, as they are...no alternate facts? Even if you could solve everyone's energy needs with science, how you going to fix all the emotionally broken people. Energy, math and science can't cure severe emotional issues. Some wackos will come burn your lab down; or threaten to kill you if you experiment on ants or other bigger bugs while trying to keep people safer. Others will come to your schools and gun your classmates down. How you going to solve these guy's problems.

And if finding answers to society's ills isn't your focus, what do you live for? Why learn math or science?
>>
File: 1480409291253.jpg (372KB, 1600x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1480409291253.jpg
372KB, 1600x1400px
Very cool posts, thank you all.
>>8653348
>You're not special, everyone gets this at some point. Drop the pretension and get on with it.
I was more interested in hearing other people's experiences.
Once in a while you happen to read very strange things on the internet.
My experiences are more artistic than useful.
>>8653497
>And if finding answers to society's ills isn't your focus, what do you live for? Why learn math or science?
Who cares about society?
I do math to feed my ego.
>>
>>8653348
How does one drop said pretension if all are forcing that person to remain 'special'?
>>
>>8653177
Look up that MOOC learning how to learn.
One main idea taught is that you subconscious solves tough problems after some time. How?
>Really try hard to solve problem
>Try different methods for a long time
>After this take a break
>Subconscious starts working
>You get answer while pooping
This is why it's said to just look at difficult problems in the exam first, try to solve for 5-10 mins then move on to easier questions and come back to hard questions later
>>
>>8653177
Whenever I have a problem I am trying to solve, or a concept I'm trying to absorb, it'll usually stew in my mind, and click into place on its own. I have yet to have this happen in my sleep, or while talking to people, though. My mind also seems to be able to solve simple arithmetic that I can't solve quickly when trying to actively think about it, but sometimes I can just 'feel' the answer, and it'll turnout to be correct (or close to correct).

I suppose that'd make me one of those intuitionists.
>>
>>8654023
Cool. I will test this.
>>8654067
>Whenever I have a problem I am trying to solve, or a concept I'm trying to absorb, it'll usually stew in my mind, and click into place on its own.
I'm more of the stubborn kind.
I can't let it go because I'd feel bad/uncomfortable otherwise.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.