[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

weak force

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Weak-Force.jpg (27KB, 556x401px) Image search: [Google]
Weak-Force.jpg
27KB, 556x401px
I compiled some notes on the weak nuclear force. I expect there to be many things that could be either slightly or completely wrong so tell me if there is. Also let me know what parts I should get more information on.

> protons and neutrons are hadrons
> hadrons are made up of quarks
> three quarks make up a hadron
> each quark has a color
> a quark can be either red, blue, or green
> each quark has to be comprised of a red, blue, and green quark
> a set of the three-colored quarks is held together by a gluon that travels to each quark and changes its color
> a gluon is facilitated by the strong force; a gluon is the force carriers for the strong force
> a quark also has a flavor
> there are six flavors
> up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom
> the strange, charm, top, and bottom flavor all decay into either an up or down flavor
> this decay is facilitated through the weak force
> a neutron has one up-flavored quark and two down-flavored quarks
> a proton has two up-flavored quarks and one down-flavored quark
> the weak force has two force carriers
> W bosons and Z bosons
> W boson can be either positively or negatively charged
> Z bosons have no charge
> a neutrino carries either a W boson or a Z boson
> a neutrino can pass its boson to an atom via the weak force
> a positively charged W boson can go into a neutron
> It it does it changes one of the down-flavored quarks to an up-flavored quark
> this causes there to be two up-flavored quarks in the hadron
> therefore the neutron turns into a proton
> this changes the element of the atom
>>
>>8650703
These are not notes of the Weak force, they are noted on the Standard Model. The weak force does not involve quarks, gluons, and their composites.
>>
>>8650720
oh so I just described the Standard Model not the weak force?
>>
>>8650720
oh right it's supposed to be notes for both the strong and weak force. forgot to put that in there, was high
>>
>>8650720
>The weak force does not involve quarks
Both W and Z Bosons couple to quarks.
>>
>>8650703
>> three quarks make up a hadron
there are two types of hadron: baryons (3 quarks) and mesons (1 quark + 1 antiquark)
>> a set of the three-colored quarks is held together by a gluon that travels to each quark and changes its color
it's true that gluons are holding the quarks together, but it's more complicated than one gluon travelling around
>> the strange, charm, top, and bottom flavor all decay into either an up or down flavor
an up-type quark can change to a down-type quark via W-Boson exchange, that's called "Flavor changing charged current". Look up CKM-Matrix for all possible interactions
>> a neutron has one up-flavored quark and two down-flavored quarks
It's stricter than up-flavored and down-flavored, a neutron has 1 up-quark and 2 down-quark, there's for instance no charm-quark
>> a proton has two up-flavored quarks and one down-flavored quark
same here, 2 up-quarks, 1 down-quark
>> a neutrino carries either a W boson or a Z boson
No idea what you want to say with 'carry', but neutrinos can couple to W and Z bosons, yes
>> a neutrino can pass its boson to an atom via the weak force
>> a positively charged W boson can go into a neutron
>> It it does it changes one of the down-flavored quarks to an up-flavored quark
>> this causes there to be two up-flavored quarks in the hadron
>> therefore the neutron turns into a proton
>> this changes the element of the atom
Ok, you're describing beta decay here, but your wording is weird: what happens is a down-quark of a neutron emits a W-boson, turning the down into an up quark, so the neutron changes into a proton. the W-boson then decays into an electron and an anti-electron neutrino.
>>
>>8651128
I never said the weak force does not involve quarks. in fact i said the exact oppoosite
>>
>>8651145
>the W-boson then decays into an electron and an anti-electron neutrino.
So when a neutrino and antineutrino pair annihilate you get a W-boson instead of a photon? Or do you get both? And why is this different from a Z-boson, what will that decay into?

>No idea what you want to say with 'carry', but neutrinos can couple to W and Z bosons, yes
So can there exist a neutrino that's completely uncoupled? I'm not OP btw, but I'm also curious about the mechanics of the weak interaction. Flavor changing always seemed like a very weird thing for a force to do, it's so different from the other forces which are just attraction/repulsion.
>>
>>8651200
>So when a neutrino and antineutrino pair annihilate you get a W-boson instead of a photon? Or do you get both? And why is this different from a Z-boson, what will that decay into?
You can't get a W boson from a neutrino-antineutrino pair because the W has an eletrical charge, but a (anti)neutrino doesn't. The only way a neutrino and an anti-neutrino can couple is via the (neutral) Z-Boson. The photon is also neutral but it just couples to charged particles, therefore not to neutrinos.
A Z-Boson can decay to a particle-antiparticle pair, so lepton-antilepton (including neutrino-antineutrino) or quark-antiquark.
>
>So can there exist a neutrino that's completely uncoupled? I'm not OP btw, but I'm also curious about the mechanics of the weak interaction. Flavor changing always seemed like a very weird thing for a force to do, it's so different from the other forces which are just attraction/repulsion.
Maybe there's confusion about what "coupling" means. When a neutrino couples to a W boson for instance it doesn't mean that the neutrino is carrying a W boson with it. Coupling just means that there can be an interaction between these particles. So yeah, a neutrino can fly around "uncoupled", but it can always interact with a Z or W boson.
You can read something about Feynman diagrams, in this picture coupling means that there is a vertex in a diagram where particles meet.
>>
>>8651244
>You can't get a W boson from a neutrino-antineutrino pair because the W has an eletrical charge
Oh, I completely misunderstood then. W-bosons literally decay into an electron and an antineutrino. I thought when you said "electron" it was short for "electron neutrino". That's very interesting. So a high energy photon decays into an electron anti-electron pair (or is this only true for virtual photons?) and a W-boson decays into an electron antineutrino pair and the Z-boson decays into a neutrino anti neutrino pair. Just going by rest mass of the particles, this means that gamma ray photons have more energy than W-bosons which have more energy than Z-bosons? For some reason I thought the W and Z bosons would have higher energy than photons, are you sure that a photon isn't released as well when the W and Z decay? I also heard that at higher energies, where the electro-strong force and weak force combine, the photon and W-boson are both transformed into some new higher energy boson. I guess this higher energy boson can potentially decay into any two particles.
>>
>>8651244
>So yeah, a neutrino can fly around "uncoupled", but it can always interact with a Z or W boson.
Oh, so is this part of the reason neutrinos are so hard to observe, they only couple with a Z or W boson. Actually if I recall correctly, the neutrino can couple to a photon but only weakly. Where does this "weak coupling" appear, and how would you represent it on the Feynman diagrams? Also is it possible for a particle to be coupled by two bosons at once? I don't think there's anything physically making this impossible only that it's extremely rare.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.