[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Programming is hard. True CS is not for plebs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1486169020167.png (921KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486169020167.png
921KB, 1280x720px
Ignoring Bootcamps/Popular Framework jocks/Code monkeys/Idiots real programming is difficult. A rigorous study of CS Algorithms, Graph theory, Cryptography, Category theory Combinatorics, Topological applications, Programming Language Theory, Homotopy type theory, Recursion theory is serious shit.
>>
>>8650036

>all the parts of CS that are about math are really fun and interesting.
I know that is why I'm studying math.
>>
>>8650036
I find this stuff much more interesting than "coding" but finding free material and building your own curriculum is difficult.
Anyone recommend some good books to start out with?
>>
>>8650053

/thread
>>
Show me an undergrad CS curriculum with all of that and I will agree CS is not for plebs.
>>
>>8650059
I say this as a pure math major, if you think CS is so easy then take an Operating Systems call in ASM and C. Being good in your pure math classes does not directly translate to ability to code in non-trivial ways.
>>
>>8650059

Eh I'm a CS/Math undergrad, I would argue that the cs degree is useful for job/software engineering, and the mathematics is good for edification and can mostly be self taught if you are actually interested. I haven't had a single class that used type theory/cat theory/topology yet, but I'm just learning them on my own.

It really isn't that hard if you aren't a lazy shit. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>8650068
CS undergrad builds foundations, graduate school is where you can specialize in more applied or theory. But in your Junior and Senior year you can already begin to specialize.
>>
>>8650068
Lol, I'm pretty sure the percentage of employed software "engineers" who are self-taught in CS (may have gotten degrees in other subjects) is higher than the percentage of employed mathematicians who are self-taught in math.

Pretty easy to see which benefits the most from a formal education.
>>
>>8650072
Nah. CS majors are too dumb to do theory.
>>
>>8650098
Most CS majors are required to take theory courses. I saw them as an extension of my math courses in proofs.
>>
>>8650089

Well to be perfectly honest I wasn't being very truthful, I would never want to be a code monkey ever. I mainly just am only interested in combinatorics and computational mathematics, I want to do research in that area, and I want a CS degree for that reason. I would never in a million years want to be a software engineer in reality, although it is a nice fall back option for if I totally fail at all my goals.

I'm do not disagree with you that most SE work is self-taught javascript crap that you could teach to a child. My argument is more that you can easily manipulate and chose classes/topics that make sense for you.

At my school I am not going to take a single class related to any of the following: Web dev/mobile/games/software engineering/ databases/ etc etc. I will be able to finish my degree in CS without having ever learned any code monkey crap. Choosing an entirely theoretical route, combined with lots of Mathematics department work is totally doable at any normal university as far as I've seen.
>>
>>8650108
OP here, I agree with you (you are not replying to me btw, I'm just supporting your position). Hence why I excluded "popular frameworks" in my OP.

Although, Clojure/Haskell/Elm may provide interesting studies into Functional Programming.

I am studying CS (supplementing it with my pure math background) and agree with you.. I want to do more theoretical CS work.
>>
>>8650105
Math majors take the theory courses. CS majors take courses in HCI, UX and Intro to Java
>>
>>8650132
What shit uni do you go to
>>
>>8650132

Yeah, that was nothing like my uni. That sounds pretty shitty.
>>
>>8650132
OP here, maybe you're right. I just choose all the theory courses or hardcore low level courses.
>>
>>8650132
Don't forget the Hindi language courses.
>>
i greatly respect people who can write good code and have a good understanding of whatever they're doing.
>>
>>8650132

the hardest course i've ever taken was not a math course, it was a compsci course.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.