[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this realistic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: spessbattle.webm (2MB, 1600x880px) Image search: [Google]
spessbattle.webm
2MB, 1600x880px
Is this realistic?
>>
>>8649988
Yes, as realistic as it can be while remaining exciting. It isn't completely hard sci-fi, but it is pretty close in many respects. There's more research packed into that show than in most movies.
>>
>>8649988

it does not depict actual evens that have happened or are currently happening, so the short answer is, no.

the longer answer is, we don't have a good enough understanding of how things work in space to be able to tell you if this is realistic, because it depicts technology that doesn't exist yet. so it's really not an answerable question.

it looks more realistic to me than other space combat movies, though. the way the weapons create trails through the ship's interior is kind of cool looking.
>>
I dont understand. Are holes being blown right through the ship? If the ship was full of air then the air rushing out the holes would obliterate those passengers.
>>
>>8650001
Actually, that's one thing that scifi tends to get wrong. Unless you had a huge airlock open, a hole in a spacecraft would at most produce a gentle breeze as the air leaves. The pressure differential between atmospheric pressure and a vacuum isn't that big.
>>
>>8650001
No, they take the oxygen out of the ship during battles for that reason i guess.

earlier in the show there was a railgun going through a large ship full of air. It was spooky because all the air rushed out and there was no sound
>>
>>8649988
What the fuck is wrong with the particles, what they just appear out of no where? Or they just don't have any fucking kinetic energy?
>>
>>8649988
What show is this? it looks cool
>>
>>8650020
So the problem is there wouldn't be trails of debris hanging in space.
>>
>>8650070
the expanse.

cool scif and graphics

shitty writing in some parts (lots)
>>
>>8650008

desu you might even be able to plug the hole yourself. air is only 14 psi or so.
>>
no, its not realistic
>>
>>8650001
Delta-P ensures that it is only a problem if you are very close to the hole. As in under 4 inches. Divers have to work around worse changes in pressure than 1atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

>>8650156
There's a Heinlein short story about that very thing on the moon. A tunnel 3 men are trapped in has a small hole. They take turns pressing their asses against the hole. They survived, but had wicked hickeys on their asses and some frostbite.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.