[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oxygen Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: KidsColorPeriodicTable.png (38KB, 792x612px) Image search: [Google]
KidsColorPeriodicTable.png
38KB, 792x612px
Since Oxygen is on the same column as Sulfur, Selenium, and all the smelliest chemicals, and elements in the same column share properties,

Is the reason we don't see aliens that our planet is so disgusting, and don't realize it?
>>
>>8648163
No.
>>
>>8648163
>>8648381
1. Ayylmaos may not even have a sense of smell. To assume extraterrestrials would have similar sensory organs to us is naive, their means of perceiving outside information may be completely different from our rather basic sight/sound/smell/taste/feel type. Or their own biology, or the environment they evolved in, may not have facilitated need for olfactory senses.
2. They may have a completely different biology, one that perhaps prospers in environments we would consider hostile. Also, our arbitrary notion of what is and isn't "disgusting" doesn't have to be shared by ayylmaos. So like I said above; no, it's unlikely.
>>
File: 1485241936527.jpg (549KB, 1636x868px) Image search: [Google]
1485241936527.jpg
549KB, 1636x868px
>>8648163
you got the wrong table, op
>>
>>8648163
What does selenium smell like? Is it worse than fucking pyridine?

>>8648396
Kek
>>
>>8648395
Chemoreception seems to be the basic sense of all organisms from single cells to insects to us and for very obvious reasons. I think in all likelihood aliens will also have some sense of chemoreception which is atleast homplogous to smell, just as insects have antennae.
>>
>>8648395
To think that alien life wont have some sort of chemical detecting sense (aka smell) is naive
>>
>>8648395
Youre right that they may like it though or be indifferent. Actually with chemoreception they may still not be able to detect it properly. Depends how they evolved, their environment i guess. Their own chemical composition.
>>
>>8648163
You are fucking retarded or trolling
>>
>>8648402
And what do we have to base this on? Life that developed under relatively similar circumstances, in a relatively similar environment. Variations within a planet's atmospheric composition alone could drastically change the resulting organisms it produces, now factor in other environmental changes such as proximity to it's native star, global temperature, chemical make-up, and you could get life that functions very dissimilar to us.

>>8648403
I agree, a means of detecting hazardous/beneficial chemicals would SEEM useful. To think this process of detection HAS to be "smelling", because you're used to it working like that here on planet Earth, is naive. But, to think that an organism HAS to even have a sense for chemical detection in the first place, just because it "wouldn't make sense" to us for it not to, is stupid.
>>
>>8648399
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2012/05/15/things_i_wont_work_with_selenophenol
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.