[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel dumb.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: NES_Metroid_Mother_Brain.png (8KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
NES_Metroid_Mother_Brain.png
8KB, 256x240px
I'm well educated, but I have diagnosed math dyslexia. I've struggled my whole life with math and I can hardly do my time tables without freezing and fucking up. Feels bad man. I'm smart in other subjects, but when It comes to math, I'm probably talented at a 4th grade level, if even that.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can get better at math? I'm too ashamed about it, and I just don't know what to do.
I'm willing to try. I had to drop out of college because I couldn't even pass the very first math prerequisite class, once I get to even division I just fuck up.

Is there even a way to override math completely in college? Is there some special permit I can get that pretty much qualifies me to void math all together? Or am I forever doomed to continue shelling out money because I keep failing basic math?

Sorry for the long loaded question, I'm just frustrated and I sometimes want to just end my life because I can't go anywhere in life without getting passed math courses in college.
>>
>>8648065

Hmmm, have you tried reading a math text book?
>>
>>8648065
>math dyslexia
what fucking bullshit is this?
>>
>>8648068
I mean I don't really own any. My struggle with math a lot of the time was understanding and memorizing the steps needed for different equations and such. I switched schools 3 times, and each school had a different way of doing math, so every time I just ended up getting fucked and having to ditch what I learned to relearn, etc. I just don't have a fucking clue man. I know google is out there, but as a science and math board, I figure people here who are into science and math can lead me to the best possible direction of learning.
>>
>>8648065
>I'm well educated, but I have diagnosed math dyslexia. I've struggled my whole life with math and I can hardly do my time tables without freezing and fucking up. Feels bad man. I'm smart in other subjects, but when It comes to math, I'm probably talented at a 4th grade level, if even that.
>
>Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can get better at math? I'm too ashamed about it, and I just don't know what to do.
>I'm willing to try. I had to drop out of college because I couldn't even pass the very first math prerequisite class, once I get to even division I just fuck up.
>
>Is there even a way to override math completely in college? Is there some special permit I can get that pretty much qualifies me to void math all together? Or am I forever doomed to continue shelling out money because I keep failing basic math?
>
>Sorry for the long loaded question, I'm just frustrated and I sometimes want to just end my life because I can't go anywhere in life without getting passed math courses in college.

I love that game.
>>
>>8648072
No different than dyslexia, but with numbers. My brain has a hard time processing numbers correctly, and as a result I get lost in my train of thought and I can't complete an equation very quickly. I almost feel like I'm retarded. But I'm not. Im super capable in every other field, I just literally can't do math.
>>
>>8648083
Sucks don't it?
Why should I have to keep paying over and over for a class I'm trying to pass. I should at least get a few rebuttals before having to fork over another fucking 200 bucks.
>>
>>8648094
Lmao no I meant Metroid
>>
>>8648080

if you want a legit chance, first you need to get over the anxiety... sounds like you never really gave math a legitimate try outside of public school
>>
>>8648102
LOL, Yeah metroid is the best!
>>
>>8648107
Dude I wish I could, but I just don't know of any websites or resources that will help adults who struggle with math, versus some wird 90's outdated kid flash card site lol. I need some different way to help me better understand how to memorize numbers, and use special tricks and techniques. My schooling was pretty shit, so we weren't taught all those fancy tricks to make math easier and more fun.
>>
>>8648116
Kahn academy.

Honestly, most everybody just memorizes their times table and adds or subtracts as needed.

Like virtually everybody knows 8*8=64 or 7*7=49 just from memorization as a kid, but for things like 7*8 its simple, just 64 - 8 = 56.

Like where do you struggle? There's not a lot of techniques for division and times tables, its just basic concepts. There are some very rapid computational techniques you can memorize, but I don't think anybody really does that anymore.
>>
>>8648120
Thanks, I forgot all about Kahn academy!
That's generally how I do math too, 9x9=81, and then I just subtract or add whatever I need left. But that starts to get super tricky when you're doing algebra and long division, etc. I just get so fucking lost I cant stay focused, etc.
>>
>>8648116
>>8648120

I usually prefer a physical textbook because websites usually do suck

don't think about memorizing things, that isn't the point

just start by finding an algebra 2 text. Then read it. It's that simple.
>>
>>8648065
Well a coat will help with the freezing.
>>
>>8648065
Copy what you read onto your own paper. The act of writing will help you focus
>>
>>8648065
you dont need to be good at arithmetic to do math.

after algebra you barely even work with real numbers unless you're applying it to something.
>>
Can't you just tell the college? If you have a diagnosis, at least in my uni, they allow special calculators and tests for dyscalculic people
>>
>>8648065
>>8648120
I didnt even know my arithmetic tables and times tables. I started using anki to try to start memorizing them. Im making good progress sofar.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.