[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1st/y Maths Major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: owuwi7fx1tcy.jpg (47KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
owuwi7fx1tcy.jpg
47KB, 480x480px
hey 4chan
if you were at yor first year as undergrad in maths what you wish you would know before you start/finish your first year like
> books/textbooks you WYW read
> protips you WYW heard
> mistakes you made and you WYW avoid
> working hours per day you WYW accoustomed to
> websites/blogs you WYW knew about

anything will be appreciated
>>
wtf does wyw mean?
>>
>>8642888
>books/textbooks
Read a tour through mathematical logic before the semester starts and then sit down, relax, and see how every piece of mathematics simply falls into place.

>protips

If you are struggling with a proof, take a break to jerk off, play videogames, eat, sleep, etc. and then come back to the problem. Do this always that you get stuck for more than 10 minutes without writing a new argument.

If you can't do a proof then you can always excuse that by telling yourself that you do not know the specific theorems needed to prove it. Then browse /sci/ and call other people brainlets to know you are not one.

Don't be a fucking book faggot and just keep a bunch of e-books in your phone, tablet whatever. When you are bored just start reading one. Try doing exercises in your brain but if that is not possible then there is no shame in also having a notebook and pen with you at all times to practice more.

Constantly think about mathematics. If a mathematical thought does not pass through your mind every hour then drop out and be the filthy engineer you were always meant to be.

>working hours per day

Work smarter, not harder or longer. Every day lurk the /SQT/ or have a book with random proof exercises and do at least one that you feel is right at your level. After that do whatever from reading more mathematics to jerking off. Jerking off while reading mathematics is the way of the field medalist.

Now, I am not saying you should only do1 problem. You should only force yourself to do 1 problem. As you love mathematics, odds are that out of curiosity you will explore 5 to 10 different problems a day in a more casual manner.

>websites/blogs

/sci/ is indispensable. /SQT/ to practice problems that "randomly" come to you (you can't predict what will be asked in a SQT thread) and other threads to keep your ego high as you shit on inferior majors.

Stackexchange but the same but in a more serious background if that is your thing.
>>
>>8642901
I guess it is "wish you would'.
>>
>>8642888
>undergrad in maths
Rofl. Just kill yourself now. Academia mythmatics is awful. The fact that you're on /sci/ shows that you're not golden boy material. So you're just wasting your time.
>>
>>8642901
wyw lad
>>
>>8642888
>Take proofs as soon as possible and get a prerequisite override if need be
>Take proof based linear algebra BEFORE abstract algebra
>>
>>8642906

> have a book with random proof exercises

Any book that's specific for this? What I've been doing until now is just the excersises proffessors give as a challenge and from books on different topics, but I don't feel it's enough.
>>
>>8642906
>>8642987
WOW just WOW
thanks

>>8642954
ok, thanks
>>
go to your professors office hours when you need help
Uni subjects aren't testing you on how smart you are, just that you understand the material

make a "cheat sheet" after every week with all the definitions practice problems... so when it comes to exam time you're all set

don't leave things until the last minute
try find out when you work the best and get into a rhythm

cal newport's blog has lots of great articles for study tips(he has a phd in comp sci from mit)
>>
>>8642954
I've been surprised there's a course on mathematical proofs in American/British universities. What do people even learn in there? Honest question, there's no such thing in my country.
>>
>>8642888

Honestly? I would just drop out and take up a job as a chef. You're smart enough to get into mathematics, why waste you're time on grinding 3 years through that when you can work in a kitchen and use your knowledge to produce good food?

I don't know anyone who is actually employed straight a maths degree, they had to take up something else i.e. finance, teaching, masters in engineering, just to get somewhere in terms of employment.

You've got a brain and probably have the work ethic so go do something that will net you good amounts of money.
>>
>>8644052
There wasn't one in mine.
Our intro to proofs course was high school geometry, and then in pre-calc we had some more intro proofs for trig
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.