[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't all metals magnetic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: images (29).jpg (17KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (29).jpg
17KB, 470x313px
Why aren't all metals magnetic?
>>
>>8639489
QFT is weird
>>
>>8639489
Why aren't everything magnetic?
>>
>>8639531
Fucking miracles.
>>
>>8639548

and magic.
>>
>>8639489
because not all magnets are oriented north to south. some are fixated in an east to west orientation and thus anomalous
>>
>>8639489
Who says they're not?

Everything is paramagnetic to some extent, it's just that certain materials are able to maintain direction for extended periods of time at standard state, those are the "permanent" (ferromagnetic) magnets you're used to.
>>
>>8639612
I think the question is why it is that way for some metals and not others
>>
>>8639489
What makes metals magnetic? What is the property of matter that creates magnetism?
>>
>>8639489
Short: Lone outer shell electrons doing weird things
Long: fuck you, outer shell electrons is the only explanation you need for everything
>>
>>8639665
Electron spin
>>
>>8639489
says a lot about /sci/ when there are no actual answer to this simple question.

here explained by someone who does it better than I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFAOXdXZ5TM
>>
>>8639489
d orbitals
>>
>>8639671
And how does it work? Is there something about electron spin that is not common among all metals which affect it?
>>
>>8639700
it works based on the orientation of the electron when it spins. Because magnetism and electricity are related, you can use one to create the other.
you can for example, run a current through a bar of metal, or around it in a coil. and you will orient the electrons in a way such that a magnetic field is created. sometimes, this is a permanent magnetic field. another thing is that electrons have the tenancy to orient nearby electrons in the same orientation such that the magnetic field created by all electrons is uniform.
as far as non ferromagnetic properties go, im not too sure. however, not all metals are noticeably magnetic because the type of magnetism that is most strongly observed is ferromagnetic, and the main component is the element iron. when you start using other metals, you begin to lose magnetism because the iron content changes. an example is some grades of stainless steel.
that is the best i can explain it.
>>
>>8639730
here is a wiki article to help you digest what i said if you want a more clear explanation or something a little more comprehensive:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism#Explanation
>>
if your talking about ferromagnets:
All the electrons of the outer most shell of the atom need to have the same spin. This is only possible with half full shells.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.