[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to major in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: slav.gif (5KB, 258x258px) Image search: [Google]
slav.gif
5KB, 258x258px
-Statistics with CS minor
-Double major in stats and CS
-CS with stats minor
-Other?

Want to get into grad school and do stats, ML, analytics, etc.

pic unrelated
>>
>>8636305
Play me

https://lichess.org/QlE4dgXk
>>
>>8636313

https://lichess.org/DoJ2OODv
>>
>>8636305

Double in Statistics + Mathematics or Statistics + EE/CpE minor. CS majors/minors are worthless, you can learn far more CS material much more quickly by self studying it.
>>
>>8636355
Do you think having CS on the degree would aid in getting into grad schools? I've heard grad schools for stats think programming/cs skills are a big plus
>>
>>8636305
Stats and take courses you're interested in. There is no point in having minors or 2 majors if you're planning on having a PhD.
>>
File: 1467658330657.jpg (90KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1467658330657.jpg
90KB, 500x379px
>>8636340
WHATS GOING ON NOTHING IS HAPPENING
>>
>>8636305
Follow your passion OP and suck all the dicks you want its your life
>>
>>8636305
the double major
>>
>>8636305
statistics is extremely useful for literally any STEM major. I don't know that you'd need to major in it though unless you want to specifically go to grad school to become a statistician.

stats with physics for example will make you a better researcher.. anything requiring research, the guy who knows statistics will be the most important.

people only care about double majors in STEM if the second major is something polarizing and shows that you have more interests than just math/physics/CS whatever... if you do physics + philosophy/english/economics/ it will probably be more interesting to people than physics + math/statistics/CS or whatever... that's what I've read at least and it makes sense since most STEM majors are autists that can't even talk to a person IRL without visibly shaking with anxiety.

plus, a physics major will have more research in undergrad than any physics double major will and therefore have a much better chance of grad school... double majors aren't really the best way to go if you want to go to grad school.. they're good for people that want to just go to undergrad... THEN it's really good to get a double major. CS + statistics if you want to do big data, and CS + math if you want to go the theoretical route... both really good options... but if you wanted to go the theoretical route, you'd just get a CS PhD anyway....

TL;DR rarely is a double major a good idea... maybe.
>>
>>8636582
This guy gets it.
>>
https://lichess.org/tASKZiLo
>>
>>8636582
seems like a worthy price to reward ratio though, plus college is cool and learning can be fun
>>
>>8636582
Don't listen to this guy. You can do everything a single major does with two and even better yet, at the end of the day you will have twice the degrees/majors.
>>
>>8636582
this. double majoring is a waste of time if your first major was worthwhile already

get a good GPA
do summer internships
do research for a professor

you are now perfect candidate for jobs and grad school
>>
>>8637047
All these plebians are projecting because they we're only capable of a single major.

If you're strong enough double major child you won't regret it.
>>
>>8637056
>child

autism detected
>>
>>8637031
stop
>>
File: lichess01.png (3KB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
lichess01.png
3KB, 250x180px
>>8636313
sort it, or abort it
>>
>>8637038
you certainly CAN do it. i just dont think its worth your effort. the time spent taking extra classes could be spent publishing. you only have so much time and effort to give, so you might want to distribute it wisely

>>8637056
undergrad detected
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.