[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where are all the robots? it's 2017 and all we have are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 2015-Chappie-pictures.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2015-Chappie-pictures.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Where are all the robots? it's 2017 and all we have are these clowns:

https://youtu.be/NeFkrwagYfc

they look like they've all been out on the lash the night before
>>
>>8631176

>Where are all the robots?

Working in industrial factories.
>>
>>8631176
The real question is where is the demand and the funding for said robots, along with the fact that I don't think our production and all that is up to par when it comes to making the sci fi robot.
>>
>>8631176
just give them wheels ffs
>>
>>8631249
This. Make a decent non bipedal robot and focus on other stuff. I don't care if it has feet. Why would I fucking care.

Big dog is excellent, mount a human torso on it. Or not human. A bunch of arms like A C Clark predicts.
>>
File: Why not both.jpg (21KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Why not both.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
>>8631249
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGOUSvaQcBs
>>
>>8631176
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>8631207
This. Robots and AI are a reality, they just aren't the gay humanoid androids with feelings you see in crappy sci-fi shows like Westworld.
>>
>>8631176

Engineers are arrogant. They think because they can make a metal sculpture that they have solved the problem of creating a body.

Or maybe it's not the engineer's fault. Maybe it's the people that watch too much sci-fy and think if they see something in a movie it must be easy to replicate in real life.

I think people are spoiled like that. We have been fortunate enough that our imaginations have provided a pathway for actual implementations, but sometimes we get hubris as a species.

There are no flying cars, there are no general purpose AIs, and there are no robotic bodies that are not retarded. There is not even a guarantee that any of those things are even possible.

The human body is much more bad ass than plebs give it credit for. It will take a while before we produce anything that comes remotely close.

Asimo is still pretty damn cool though and is the best that we have.
>>
>>8631176
>>8631673
people don't develop expensive robots for some random novelty, certainly not for you specifically, you self-absorbed retards. There are robots everywhere, where they are actually used and designed in a practical fashion. Why the fuck would you think it would be some unrealistic stupid sci-fi shit?
>>
>>8631176
Soft Robotic advancements is lagging behind AI and industrial robots. We will probably need a breakthrough in CNT actuators if we want to build humanoid robots. Pneumatic and hydrolic actuators are still too bulky, slow and inefficient for soft robotics. But soft robotics is progresssing, beit slower than industrial robotics. We will hopefully see a lot of progress in the area of soft robotics as scientist find ways to exploit the unique properties of carbon nanotubes and as CNTs become cheaper to manufacture. Anyone interested in soft robotic actuators should checkout Harvards John. A SEAS and UT Austin robotics lab.
>>
every failure is a step forward
>>
>>8632735
>Harvards John. A SEAS and UT Austin robotics lab.

Cool. Thanks for the recommendation!
>>
File: progress.gif (907KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
progress.gif
907KB, 240x180px
>>8632742

You can say that again!
>>
File: hero3a.jpg (62KB, 879x1047px) Image search: [Google]
hero3a.jpg
62KB, 879x1047px
>>8631249
>>8631673
We have had robots with wheels for a while now. Pic related.

Sure getting around is a problem, but it's not the biggest problem.

>>8632735
Soft robotics is a meme, the only thing it's good for is making robots to squeeze into cracks and onaholes. Artificial muscles are a meme. Rotary electric actuators can do everything artificial muscles could do, except VERY VERY VERY VERY lifelike sexbots.

The biggest problem is that robots are dumb. Robots work decently in controlled environments. They aren't very good at dealing with surprises, unforeseen conditions, or the environment changing.

Most industrial robot arms can't even tolerate a component being out of place by a millimeters.

Part of being dumb means that tasks we find simple like picking up a can are EXCEPTIONALLY HARD for robots. This video might not look like much, but it is currently one of the most amazing things in robotics right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8zKZLqkfII

Because robots can't do much, what's the point of having robots everywhere?

>>Where are all the robots?
OP, I'd like to point out that you can buy autonomous robots like vacuum cleaners, drones, and toys at your local walmart.
>>
>>8632735
I meant UT Dallas, not Austin
>>
Any roboticist itt that dares to make a educated guess about when OP's pic will be reality (hardware wise)?
>>
>>8632735

This guy's right. Electric motors are too big/heavy/power hungy

We need a new technology to that can replace this. a Kind of a robotic muscle
>>
>>8633623
battery density is slowly but steadily increasing

in 5-10 years electric powered humanoid robots that don't weigh 100 kg will be possible
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.