[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i want to start from scratch. basically i have never taken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: books pls.jpg (27KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
books pls.jpg
27KB, 275x183px
so i want to start from scratch.
basically i have never taken a college level class in any sort of physics, but i am extremely interested in learning it and i have the drive and motivation. also i want to be a nuclear technician in the Navy. before any of that happens though i would like to get ahead of everyone else, the first problem is, i dont know where to heck to start, so my question is, what are some great books for people just getting into the field! what books best helped you?
>>
>>8626513
Go to school?
>>
>>8626513
To better understand physics, then you should shoot for a basic understanding of algebra and calculus.

/sci/ has already compiled everything you need to know to understand Physics auto-didactically.
>>
>>8626533
well the navy is going to provide me with the schooling, i want to learn it on my own, iv started with "physics for dummies" right now, but it would be nice if i could have some other suggestions

>>8626536
i think i have an okay understanding of algebra perhaps calculus would be a good path to start as well though.
>>
>>8626513
Here's the link: http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations

I'd talk to someone on /k/ for advice on how to go about becoming a nuclear technician. There may be a way for you to enlist and allow the military to pay for your schooling as you work to become a nuclear technician. It's also a hardcore approach to getting some routine built up into your life, which I'm sure you're missing since you're asking /sci/ for career/schooling advice.
>>
>>8626554
No, drop that shit now and go read the wiki page I linked. The shit that you're reading is meme-tier.
>>
>>8626556
i have taken the ASVAB and i scored proficiently enough to be placed in the field, i am for sure going to ask /k/ about how the schooling is, i do know that the military school for it is 2 years long.

>>8626558
in all honesty i kind of assumed it was, thank you!
>>
The Art of Problem Solving, How to Solve It and Precalculus by Sheldon Axler the best 3 books you could ever read before taking classes.
>>
>>8626588
cool and nice! i will look into those for sure!
>>8626558
okay i just got the Young and Freedman - University Physics with Modern Physics, book, thanks for the wiki link anon.
>>
File: Required Reading - easy mode.png (3MB, 1360x2765px) Image search: [Google]
Required Reading - easy mode.png
3MB, 1360x2765px
>>8626513
>>
>>8626595
The Sheldon Axler book is by far the best precalculus book. If you read it, calc I will be a breeze because the hardest part about that course is the arithmetic, not the calculus itself.
>>
>>8626605
unfortunately im not the greatest at math, but i understand that in ordcer succeed i need to get good at it. ill look into sheldon axler forsure.
i may have them already! thanks.
>>
>>8626601
is this just for science in general?
>>
>>8626627
You'll always be limited in life by how much math you know. Almost everything, in a way, is built off of some form of mathematics.

The hardest part is getting a solid foundation of the mathematics involved. Building this knowledge will leave you on a far better footing than your peers in problem solving, which I'm sure is much needed to become a nuclear technician. It'll probably be the weak point of many competing for the same position.
>>
>>8626697
no, you are certainly correct, most people hate math because of its complexity, but i think that complexity however is what draws me toward it, iv failed high school level mathematics before admittedly, and i feel like most in my position just from that, would be the same people who say they hate mathmatics. i am truely glad i was atleast able to take away the fact that without mathmatics, we would not know much of anything in our universe, and that what is making me strive toward a goal like becoming a nuclear tech, simply because i have a desire to learn and get better at it. i know its getting a little philosophical but i feel most people in the field would have that very same thought process.

or i could just be talking out of my ass...
>>
>>8626738
Yeah, well just don't give up. Many like you do and just waste their time on some meaningless bullshit.
>>
You could try open yale physics or MIT's physics sequence.
Both lecture series are avaliable for free online, there is alot of notes from the course... solved problems and so forth. The MiT lecturer is one of the best at teaching physics, and does lots of live demonstrations.
I would watch the lectures and take note of the main ideas, go read a physics textbook to supplement the lectures, taking a survey of the fundementals, and where your math gaps are. The better you understand how all the ideas of physics relate to each other in terms of a the bigger picture the easier time you will have

If you want to be spoon fed, try khan academy

Getting into a good study routine, studying everyday will hold you in good stead for whatever path you end up taking
good luck with your endeavour
>>
>>8626758
of course, the last thing i want to do is admit defeat and do some meaningless task the rest of my life, knowledge doesn't come without that feeling of wanting to give up, and that is my favorite part, because than i know im being challenged. thanks you though anon, i will not give up.

>>8626793
i think iv seen some things from khan academy before when i was in highschool. looking into the MiT lectures sounds like a great idea though!
>>
Anyone have precalculus by sheldon axler 3rd edition? I only have the second edition.
>>
>>8626513
https://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/

you can stop at phenomenology probably
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.