[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You are on a game show and you have 3 identical doors. Behind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: mh.png (76KB, 2000x1111px) Image search: [Google]
mh.png
76KB, 2000x1111px
You are on a game show and you have 3 identical doors.
Behind one door is a car.
Behind each of the other two is a goat.

You want to pick the door with the car but you don't know which one it is.

Once you pick a door, the host will flip a coin.
If you picked a car, the host will always ask if you want to switch.
If you picked a goat and the coin lands heads, the host will ask if you want to switch.
If you picked a goat and the coin lands tails, the host will simply reveal your goat and you lose.

So you picked a door and the host asks if you want to switch.

Should you switch?
>>
File: trolley.png (235KB, 507x612px) Image search: [Google]
trolley.png
235KB, 507x612px
>>
>>8625569
-1/12
>>
>>8625569
Yes
>>
>>8625569
No
>>
>>8625569
Maybe
>>
>>8625569
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>8625569
How can an irrational number have infinite decimals if the point assigned to it on the number line is finite
>>
>>8625574
Id let the train go over the 5 people then tell it to reverse and run over the other people too
>>
File: monty.png (50KB, 374x382px) Image search: [Google]
monty.png
50KB, 374x382px
>>
File: pigeon_PNG3426.png (433KB, 584x538px) Image search: [Google]
pigeon_PNG3426.png
433KB, 584x538px
Humans are brainlets.
>>
>>8625569
It's 50/50
>>
>>8625569
Out of the way brainlet psueds, real /lit/ intellecual here to save the day.

You need to look at the problem in an entirely diffferent way. The Monty Hall problem isn;t looking at the probabilty of the prize behind a door, its looking at the probabilty of winning if you switch.

Since theres a 2/3 chance of you being wrong to begin with, if you initially choose the wrong answer (1/3 chance), and decide to make a switch once the other door is revealed then you are basically switching your starting probabilities (i.e: 1/3 to 2/3) so now you have a 2/3 chance of winning if you switch instead of the 1/3 chance if you stay with your original pick.

Of course, its a little more complicated and detailed than that, but I doubt /sci/ brainlets would be able to understand the details anyway.
>>
not that hard just go through it once with always switch and once with always stay. In the end i get staying 33.3% and switching 16.7%. May as well have a tinking error there.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 618x412px
It doesn't matter because the RNG of the universe is rigged in such way that regardless of my choice the car will never be behind the door I choose. Heck, the door I open probably doesn't even contain a goat because it escaped.
>>
Are people ITT pretending to be retarded, or did they just not read the question?

>>8625569
Probability you have the car after the host asks if you want to switch is:

P(C|A) = P(A|C)*P(C)/P(A)
= (1)*(1/3)/(2/3)
= 1/2

The other doors would each be 1/4, so no, you shouldn't switch.
>>
File: d-k.png (175KB, 694x585px) Image search: [Google]
d-k.png
175KB, 694x585px
>>8627046
>>
File: monty.png (558KB, 2530x1636px) Image search: [Google]
monty.png
558KB, 2530x1636px
>>8627059
You saying you think I'm wrong?

https://repl.it/FKky/1
>>
>>8627174
don't engage with SJWtards. they are braindead and can't into maths or science.
>>
>>8627174
you are ignoring #2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem#Standard_assumptions
>>
>>8625676
I'm 12 by the way
>>
>>8625569
Easy.
Fuck the goat
Because I'm arab
>>
>>8628028
This

Who needs a car anyways if you can pump oil inside a goat's asshole?
>>
File: mh.jpg (81KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
mh.jpg
81KB, 500x277px
>>8625569
Oh look, it's this thread again.
>>
>>8627174
>>8627046
lel dumdum read the question again
>>
File: answ.png (89KB, 426x616px) Image search: [Google]
answ.png
89KB, 426x616px
>>8625729
That's not true because of pic related.
>>
it is 50:50 either there is a goat or isn't
>>
>>8625569
>you don't see the coin toss
>>
The easiest way to explain the monty hall problem is this. Imagine the same game, but with 100 doors.

Now I let you pick 1 of the 100 doors. After that I open 98 doors to reveal there is no car, leaving only your chosen door and another one left. Do you switch to the other one or stay with your choice?
>>
>>8628984
But I still don't get it.
There is still a one-to-two chance either way right?
Why does switching make the difference?
>>
>>8628984
Oh i get it now lol
>>
>>8627046
>this is the average /sci/ user

Let me explain it flawlessly for you all.

You are effectively selecting a door two times, before he reveals one goat, and after he reveals one goat.

Initially you have a 2/3 chance of picking the wrong door.

Let's say you pick one of the wrong doors. He then, is forced to open the only other wrong door. Therefore switching will give the correct answer.

The above scenario happens 2/3's of the time which means that switching every time will give you a 2/3's probability.

The rest is self-explanatory e.g. picking the car right and switching to the wrong door will only happen 1/3 of the time because you will only initially pick the car 1/3 of the time.

For the "stay" option, you could either pick one of the goats and chose to stay even after the other is revealed (this doesn't happen with switch) (2/3's chance of this happening as well) or pick the car and get it right (only 1/3).

Countless simulations have proved this correct too. Now stop trying to prove the correct answer wrong. Find something better to do with your time.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.