[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any graduate students here? I just started my first semester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 20170116_201151.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170116_201151.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Any graduate students here?

I just started my first semester in applied mathematics and am already feeling the pressure. I'm only taking 3 classes, one of which is the second semester of Undergraduate level real analysis using Rudin, but this real analysis class is sorta kicking my ass. Am I supposed to be spending all my free time on problem sets?

Does anyone have any advice about learning upper-level maths or any advice about graduate school in general?

Also should how soon should I start worrying about research?
>>
>>8624651
>upper level math
>undergrad course using baby Rudin

Pick one.
>>
>>8624673
Yeah I am taking a remedial class but it's good that I'm doing so because the grad level sequence would probably kick my ass even more. Is the jump in difficulty from rudin to graduate level texts really high? Will I ever get used to doing extremely technical proofs assuming I'm only barely slightly above average in intelligence?
>>
>>8624697
Grad class content isn't that much different, at least early on with upper division undergrad. The difference is that the content is convered more quickly and the profs don't hold your hand through the development of the content. That puts more work on you, which is why it seems harder. I took a grad level class this semester because I met the pre reqs. But the review material was from courses I hadn't taken so I dropped it for something else. I definitely could have made it through but it would have been a lot more work than I'm willing to put in.
>>
>>8624651
I can give specific advice for analysis. Read Rosenlicht, the first 150 pages or so. That's what made me understand and appreciate analysis. Rudin made much more sense afterwards.
>>
>>8624651
>graduate school
>caring about your coursework
>not applying to a particular PI with particular research interests

lmao
>>
>>8624651
So you're doing research postgraduate?
In that case, I think you only have to pass the modules. Just try to really get to grips with the material. If you can't do that, you won't be able to do the research. Almost eveyrone regrets not working harder in their first year, so since you have all these modules to do, you may as well make the most of them. First year is for background material anyway, then second year is experiment/research/start writing. Third year is for finalising and writing up. Most people leave the writing to the very last stage, and don't do the sufficient reading in first year, which is why they struggle.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.