[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im not cool

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: F1.large.jpg (102KB, 1800x885px) Image search: [Google]
F1.large.jpg
102KB, 1800x885px
help
>>
>>
>>8623950
What am I looking at?
>>
>>8623950
>>8624040

Left image is a T1 transverse MRI of the brain. Looks like there is nothing in the left side of the skull. Probably intentional left hemispherectomy from possibly intractible epilepsy?

Right image is a coronal T2 showing the CSF filling up the empty space where the left brain used to be.
>>
>>8623950
>>8624040
>>8624066

And also, nah, you probably aren't cool but I give you props for posting interesting MRIs. Looks like this fellow is an older human. The brain looks well developed (aside from the missing half...). Hopefully his seizures were cured and he didn't suffer significant losses in language function. they likely have significant right sided hemiparesis/paralysis now though... unless the surgery was done super early (before 5 years).
>>
>>8623950
>have epilepsy
>get half brain removed

lmao is this the now lobotomy?
>>
File: is_150406_brain_seizure_800x600.jpg (165KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
is_150406_brain_seizure_800x600.jpg
165KB, 800x600px
>>8624196
no. lobotomies were used for various psychiatric disorders, such as being overly aggressive and disruptive alongside their hallucinations.

Essentially, this is a last resort for intractable epilepsy.

It goes like this:

1 - kid is seizing. Is it real? EEG.
2 - They're real. try drugs to abort and control seizures.
3 - drugs don't work? use higher doses
4 - high doses dont work? try different drugs.
5 - drugs just aren't effective? time for surgery. take out the area of the brain from which the seizures seem to be originating (tumor? take it out, sclerosis? take it out. not sure? do an EEG and see where the brain is slowing or is dysfunctional and take it out. You can do this even more eloquently by placing electrodes directly on the brain to see even better where the seizure focus is).
6 - still seizing? try step 5 again or take out a bigger chunk.
7 - cut the corpus collosum (bridge between two brain halves).
8 - if all else fails, see what is most important, motor/language function or remainder of intelligence and sanity by taking out the affected side of the brain. Hemispherectomy.
>>
>>8624279
Ketogenic diet/MAD should be somewhere on that list before "remove half of the fucking brain" IMO.

Even if its effects are still being researched, it certainly works (for me at least, t. generalized epilepsy)
>>
>>8624279
you forgot vagus nerve stimulator
>>
>>8624279
>Hemispherectomy.
it's not done any longer
>>
>>8624305
>>8624301

True that, Forgot about those. Ketogenic diet is rough I hear. one burger and you run the risk of a grand mal.
>>
>>8624502
I hope you mean one hamburger bun. I eat burgers all the time with just cheese, sometimes pickles.

If you haven't had epilepsy or experienced side effects of anticonvulsant drugs, believe me when I say being on a carb-restrictive diet is absolute heaven in comparison.
>>
>>8624301
>>8624677
Currently working on my project for my BSc, gonna take a look at how polyunsaturated fatty acids can be used to modulate Kv channels in rat hippocampus cells. They're supposedly one of the key molecules involved in the effect of the ketogenic diet.
>>
File: 1482594987995.jpg (114KB, 655x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1482594987995.jpg
114KB, 655x1600px
>>8624279
wew lad stuff like this makes me realize how limited our understanding of the brain is
>>
>>8625715
It's fucking sad really. As you know the problem with studying brains is you really do need it to live so it would be hard to find a volunteer with a fresh one for you to experiment on.
>>
wow you guys really
like my thread.

can you imagine how a person feels when the two
halfs of the brain are not connected anymore ?
that seems like a nightmare to me. whyich half of the brain is you, then ?
Is the one half just living on its own passively whilst the other speaks and acts with the world ?
>>
File: giphy.gif (484KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
484KB, 500x280px
>>8625727
You certainly get some interesting pathology.

Specifically with cutting/damaging the corpus callosum you can get something called Alien Hand Syndrome. Essentially one of your hands seems to act with its own will (often mischievous and with its own personality).
>>
I have Schizoaffective disorder guys? Medicine doesn't work for me. What part of my brain to cut out to fix problems? Please help, I'm serious.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.