[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone with a better understanding of optics help me out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Capture.png (46KB, 732x208px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
46KB, 732x208px
Can anyone with a better understanding of optics help me out?
This isnt homework, obviously, but a practice test for my coming physics finals.

The question is:

>An engineer checks a part by shining white light in a 45° angle on a Silicate plate with an index of refraction of 3.9, which has a thin layer of Silicium-Oxide on the outside, with an index of refraction of 1.46.
>The thin layer shines in the correct kind of green, which proves to her that it has the correct thickness.
>a) How thick is the layer, if a wavelength of 560nm is assumed?
>b) Explain mathematically why she looks at it at an angle, instead of straight at it?

Now Im certain that this has to do with the fact that the index of refraction is dependent on the wavelength, and so the light will be split up into different angles for different wavelengths.
However I couldnt find a formula for that relation anywhere, and Im confused by the fact that the index is given as one specific number.
I will follow with what I have so far, but its not much.

Help greatly appreciated.
>>
File: IMG_20170121_153141.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_153141.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
Phonepost because lazy...
>>
Put the question in google. You're welcome.
>>
>>8618819
This is what Ive come up with:
>The light hits the first border, and the different wavelengths get separated.
>They then hit the second border, and get partially reflected at the same angle as the angle of incident.
>They hit the first border from the other side, and get refracted again.

But now they are all at the same angle as they were before,except on the other side of the normal.
All wavelengths are at 45°, but they are spaced apart slightly.

The angle is thus not related to the thickness of the layer, and I cant find the answer.

What am I missing? Does it have to do with total reflection upon hitting the first barrier the second time or something? I dont get it.
>>
>>8618820
Believe me /sci/ isnt my first resort for this sort of stuff.
However I couldnt find anything neither on Wikipedia nor in my script that would explain what to do here.
>>
Selfbump. Im still lost.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.