[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To any and all mathematicians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

How tf am I supposed to visualize/conceptualize connection forms?

Things I understand:

>a 1-form, df, is the outside derivative of a real valued function, f: R^n --> R,
>and a k-form is just the outside derivative of a (k-1)-form

>if f: R^3 --> R, then df: R^3 x R^3 --> R
>So, df takes a point and a vector and shows how f varies at the point in the vector's direction

>If you take the covariant derivative of one frame field to another, you get a matrix of 1-forms, called connection forms

So what is special about the (1,2) and (1,3) entries, but not the (2,3) entry? Like, how does this relate to the shape operator?
>>
>>8613044
I always found it much easier to consider analysis from an algebraic perspective. Don't even bother with visualization and intuition at this level. Just get very good at the logic of symbolic manipulation and then the more clear geometric interpretations will link later once you master the more menial thing
>>
>>8613044
Explain like I'm 5
>not a 5 yr old
>>
>>8613044
Don't visualize you idiot.
>>
>>8613863
>I always found it much easier to consider analysis from an algebraic perspective. Don't even bother with visualization and intuition at this level. Just get very good at the logic of symbolic manipulation and then the more clear geometric interpretations will link later once you master the more menial thing

Wow, I've never heard a more succinct summary of why analysis is the shittiest, ugliest, and least intuitive branch of mathematics. Thanks anon.

t. combinatorialist.
>>
>>8613863
>Just get very good at the logic of symbolic manipulation

Can't just teach
[math](a*b)^n = a^n*b^n \\ Yet,~if~n=(a^x+1)[/math]
There's a skipping iteration occurring, would you agree?
That shit's meh on abstract-ness
>>
>>8614277
This to be quite honest. It seems more natural to gain an intuitive understanding of the machinery driving mathematics on a simple abstract level than it does to just muddle through the rules and let intuition build around those. The former allows you to translate the philosophies of a field to other areas, whereas the latter rigidifies one's understanding and prevents them from moving between ideas fluidly.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.