[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burning of Hydrocarbons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: fireplace.png (44KB, 133x132px) Image search: [Google]
fireplace.png
44KB, 133x132px
Hi,
I have a question for hard-core chemistry nerds. I'm wondering about hydrocarbon's oxygen footprint while burning.

CH4 reacts with O2 producing co2, water and heat.

But in a fireplace with the damper closed, does any o2 fail to bond with carbon and instead go on to react with more hydrogen, thus leaving more carbon in the residual ash? Thus, releasing less co2?

I ask because they "sell" methane as "natural" gas, as if they're hiding something bad about its use. Certainly wood is the only renewable energy source, while methane is a drug that allows for a population of seven billion but is destined to run out and leave billions in shock. It may take a few decades...
>>
>>8610322
Pretending to be interested in chemistry won't get you out of paying the carbon tax Ben and you will soon die by the hand of energy poverty like the rest of us. No wood for you!
>>
Incomplete combustion, carbon monoxide is produced rather than more water.
>>
>>8610322
they don't sell methane as natural gas, you faggot. natural gas isn't just methane, if it was they would sell it as methane and charge more for it. methane also burns very cleanly. when you see yellow in your flame that's due to carbon particulates, i.e. soot.
>>
GEN IV nuclear reactors
srs when the fuck are we going to build them
i don't want to choke on my fucking air
as Carl Sagan said molecules don't have passports and stay over other countries. When are all affected one another.
>>
Did a year of coal research first job out of uni
For all hydrocarbons, you can have incomplete combustion as anon said which primarily makes CO. There's also what's called "coking" which is carbon buildup from incomplete combustion as it turns to graphite instead of CO2. This is a minor product I believe, though maybe you can find a set of conditions that favor coke formation.
This is all assuming were talking about gas, as solid materials undergo a much different process where the structural carbons are broken apart and release hydrogen, followed by short chain hydrocarbons, etc. The charred wood/whatever is higher carbon content since the light hydrocarbons burn first.
Natural gas has been called that long before the meme of natural foods due to its natural occurence. In addition to methane it also contains 1-5% ethane and smaller amounts of light hydrocarbons.
If I'm not mistaken though the yellow color of wood burning is due to the energy of the bonds being broken apart. Hydrogen has a nice blue color, hydrocarbons have longer wavelengths, and carbon-carbon bonds give a nice orange glow.
Ash is mostly the metals and salts inside the feedstock, plus any unburned carbon. Like in fight club when theyre talking about the fat of sacrificed people combining with ash to make soap :)
Natural gas is certainly not unlimited, which is unfortunate because it's tge best feedstock for many large scale industrial processes like the haber process
>>
Do you think there will be efficient scrubbing technology to remove pollution from wood furnaces as well as coal?
>>
>>8610386
>implying we're not already dying of regular poverty
>>
>>8610322
>referring to gas companies as "they"
>not understanding what bonds are more stable and more likely to form
>putting quotes on "sell" and "natural"
>methane is a drug
please go back to >>>/x/ or buy a mass spectrometer
>>
>>8610322
I don't understand in your question what burning methane has to do with burning wood in a stove with the damper closed. In any case, the damper should never be closed if there is a vissible flame because of incomplete combustion, which leads to higher particle emssions and my result in a chimney fire from the tar and creosote depossited in the chimney.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.