[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemical engineering modelization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: mixer.png (225KB, 800x664px)
mixer.png
225KB, 800x664px
Hi /sci/, 2nd year student in chemical engineering here.
I'm doing a internship in a malthouse and I need to do a modelization of the kilning process, where the germinated barley is dried to produce malt. The goal here is to predict the final humidity of the malt for different temperatures, durations and air recirculations percents (using matlab/python).
I never done this before so I'm a little confused right now. Anyone has any ideas or tips of where I should start?
>>
>>8607810
Also a 2nd year ChemE student, and you have my dream position. Any tips/warnings for getting into the industry? If you dont mind me asking, whos your employer?
>>
>>8607927
Try doing some home brewing so you can start understanding the industry, got my job by giving the interviewer a beer I had made myself. The processus is mainly biochemistry, so I hope you like biology/biochem. However, chemE is also very useful as transport phenomena and the likes will help you optimise the different processus.
Sorry but I don't like to post personal infoon 4chan so I can't say who I work for.
>>
>>8608017
Thanks!
>>
>>8607810
>engineering major
Don't you have a cock to be sucking right about now?
>>
>modelization
>processus
I believe the right words are modeling and process(es).
>>
Hi anon. Can you tell me which simulation software is this? Thanks.
>>
>>8608045
>Butthurt unemployed physics major reporting in
>>
>>8608892
That's comsol. It's very easy to learn but customisation can be a pain in the ass (a lot of stuff is hidden to make it easy for baby's first CFD)

Not op btw, but I work with comsol
>>
>>8607810
> Chemical engineering modeling*

>Hi /sci/, 2nd year student in chemical engineering student* here.
>I'm doing a internship in a malthouse and I need to do a model* of the kilning process,

> Anyone has any ideas or tips of where I should start?
How much data did they give you access to? Start by writing down the mass and energy balances around both phases (the liquid and the vapour phases), if you can assume ideal mixing these will be a set of ordinary differential equations.

Once you have those written down and checked the degrees of freedom of your model and post it here. I will correct them before you start writing the simulation code.
>>
>>8608983
More like totally comfy butted PHD in math major with a 300k starting salary reporting in
>>
>>8609039
You can't even abbreviate PhD correctly.

Stay in your containment threads where you meme post with all the other NEETs and redditors.
>>
>>8607810
Do what >>8609016 said, and if you have difficulty in doing that, consult unit operations and process modeling text books.
>>
Found some old articles (1960s) about a similar system but with corn. Trying right now to adapt the model for barley. Pretty cool, even has some empiric formulas that should make this easier.

>>8609016
>>8609375
Thanks for the advices! Do you know any good process modeling text book I could use?
>>
>>8610239
I think
>Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation by B. Wayne Bequette
is the standart textbook. I'm not sure if it contains any examples of malting process, though.
>>
>>8610239
>Found some old articles (1960s) about a similar system but with corn. Trying right now to adapt the model for barley.
All foods have very similar thermodynamic properties. Anyway your job is to create model and simulation not to optimize the parameters so you can essentially use that model as is and tell your boss which parameters need to fitted to their data.

>Do you know any good process modeling text book I could use?
Read the first two chapters of Seborg Process Dynamics and Control.

For simulation I recommend you just use some quality notes if you can. It shouldn't take you more than an afternoon to learn how to write non-linear simulations and yet most students never learn because they overcomplicate it or study from poor quality textbooks trying to sell MATLAB or whatever software they're shilling.

If it's taking you longer than the thread will to 404 you can join the /sci/ whatsapp group for my contact info and message when you're done.

Good luck in any case.
>>
can chem eng's get jobs in nanotech or should I switch to mechanical?
>>
File: laughsinmotherfucker.jpg (35KB, 657x640px) Image search: [Google]
laughsinmotherfucker.jpg
35KB, 657x640px
>>8609039
>Math PhD
>$300k starting
How many confirmed kills do you have again?
>>
File: IMG_3527.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3527.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>8608999
Ay COMSOL right now
>>
>>8613151
>Solution in just a few minutes
You are blessed, Matt

I don't like that the GUI freezes when I run the solver. Doesn't happen in other CFD software I used
>>
>>8613643
Not a fan either, but it gives me time to look at memes every 5 minutes.

What else do you use? ANSYS?

May god grant you fast convergence
>>
>>8614340
I've used starccm+, flow-3d (niche) and comsol. Never used fluent as their license was too expensive.
>>
>>8612199
I'm a cheme working in particle nanotech R&D, but you should what a field is really about from professional and not popular sources before you hop on it.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.