[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/'s 30 smartest people alive today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

Hello all. You may remember some polling that was done here and on /sci/'s facebook group regarding the smartest people alive today.

I received about 700 votes over two weeks. Voters we able to select their top 30 from a list of geniuses or write in their own submission.

During each iteration of 5 people, one will be "highlighted" with the reasons for their selection.
>>
Durante. Greatest living programmer.
>>
File: js.jpg (75KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
75KB, 500x281px
30. Marilyn Von Savant
29. Chris Langan
28. Judit Polgar
27. Paul Allen
26. John Sununu
>With a reported IQ of 180, John H. Sununu is another individual who has proved equal to the eligibility criteria for acceptance into the Mega Society high IQ club. Born in 1939 in Havana, Cuba, Sununu studied mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, achieving his bachelor’s degree in 1961, his master’s in 1963 and his Ph.D. in 1966. After he graduated, Sununu worked as a professor at Massachusetts-based Tufts University until 1968, when he was appointed the school’s associate dean of engineering, a position he held until 1973. Between 1983 and 1989 Sununu served as the governor of New Hampshire; then in 1989 he became the White House Chief of Staff. However, in 1991 Sununu stepped down following allegations that he had abused his government travel privileges.
>>
File: mislav.jpg (115KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
mislav.jpg
115KB, 500x265px
>>8604777
Trips? off to a great start

25. Lawrence Krauss
24. Sam Harris
23. Kim Ung Yong
22. Richard Rosner
21. Mislav Predavec
>Mislav Predavec is a Croatian mathematics professor with a reported IQ of 190. “I always felt I was a step ahead of others. As material in school increased, I just solved the problems faster and better,” he has explained. Predavec was born in Zagreb in 1967, and his unique abilities were obvious from a young age. As for his adult achievements, since 2009 Predavec has taught at Zagreb’s Schola Medica Zagrabiensis. In addition, he runs trading company Preminis, having done so since 1989. And in 2002 Predavec founded exclusive IQ society GenerIQ, which forms part of his wider IQ society network. “Very difficult intelligence tests are my favorite hobby,” he has said. In 2012 the World Genius Directory ranked Predavec as the third smartest person in the world.
>>
File: ndt.jpg (30KB, 500x282px)
ndt.jpg
30KB, 500x282px
20. Chris Hirata
19. Gary Kasparov
18. Steven Pinker
17. Manahel Thabet
16. Neil Degrasse Tyson
>Neil deGrasse Tyson is a high-profile American astrophysicist and research associate at the American Museum of Natural History, and he is also Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City. Tyson was born in New York in 1958 and loved astronomy from a young age. In 1980 he graduated from Harvard with a bachelor’s degree in physics, and he went on to earn his master’s in astronomy from the University of Texas in 1983. He then went to Columbia, where he obtained his M.Phil. in astrophysics in 1989 and his Ph.D. two years later. Tyson achieved pop culture fame presenting educational PBS show NOVA ScienceNow from 2006 to 2011, and he has made numerous TV guest appearances. The awards he has received include a NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, and in 2001 Asteroid 1994KA was renamed 13123 Tyson in his honor.
>>
File: tao.jpg (75KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tao.jpg
75KB, 500x333px
>>8604790
15. Noam Chomsky
14. Donald Knuth
13. Alan Guth
12. Nikola Poljak
11. Terence Tao
>Born in Adelaide in 1975, Australian former child prodigy Terence Tao didn’t waste any time flexing his educational muscles. When he was two years old, he was able to perform simple arithmetic. By the time he was nine, he was studying college-level math courses. And in 1988, aged just 13, he became the youngest gold medal recipient in International Mathematical Olympiad history – a record that still stands today. In 1992 Tao achieved a master’s degree in mathematics from Flinders University in Adelaide, the institution from which he’d attained his B.Sc. the year before. Then in 1996, aged 20, he earned a Ph.D. from Princeton, turning in a thesis entitled “Three Regularity Results in Harmonic Analysis.” Tao’s long list of awards includes a 2006 Fields Medal, and he is currently a mathematics professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.
>>
>>8604793
10. Magnus Carlsen
9. Evangelos Katsioulis
8. Saul Kripke
7. Akshay Venkatesh
6. Shariah Afshar
>Born in 1971, Iranian American physicist and entrepreneur Shahriar Afshar has won a number of awards for his groundbreaking inventions. Afshar is known for his 2004 Afshar experiment, which he conducted at Harvard University. The optical experiment investigates – and, according to Afshar, contradicts – the quantum mechanical principle of complementarity. Afshar served as an associate at Harvard between 2003 and 2004 and was a visiting scientist at Canada’s Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in 2006. He is a visiting research professor of physics at New Jersey’s Rowan University as well as the president, CTO and CEO of consumer electronics startup Immerz. One of his notable inventions is the award-winning “4D” Soundkix mini speaker. In 1989 Afshar won a prestigious Iranian Khwarizmi International Award.
>>
File: hawking'.jpg (167KB, 500x333px)
hawking'.jpg
167KB, 500x333px
>>8604794
5. Grigori Perelman
4. Andrew Wiles
3. Edward Witten
2. Ruth Lawrence
1. Stephen Hawking
>Guest appearances on TV shows such as The Simpsons, Futurama and Star Trek: The Next Generation have helped cement English astrophysicist Stephen Hawking’s place in the pop cultural domain. Hawking was born in 1942; and in 1959, when he was 17 years old, he received a scholarship to read physics and chemistry at Oxford University. He earned a bachelor’s degree in 1962 and then moved on to Cambridge to study cosmology. Diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, Hawking became depressed and almost gave up on his studies. However, inspired by his relationship with his fiancé – and soon to be first wife – Jane Wilde, he returned to his academic pursuits and obtained his Ph.D. in 1965. Hawking is perhaps best known for his pioneering theories on black holes and his bestselling 1988 book A Brief History of Time.
>>
>>8604790
Nice b8
>>
>>8604773
1.Me
2 - 30.Irrelevant fucks and losers
>>
>>8604773
28. Judit Polgar
19. Gary [sic] Kasparov
10. Magnus Carlsen
LITERALLY 10% of the 30 smartest people alive are Chess players??? What the actual fuck? Understand Chess and you understand the Universe I guess?
>>
>>8604881
If everyone was an astrophysicist/mathmatician then society would get nowhere. You need a mix of all. Besides, /sci/ voted
>>
>>8604773
>>8604777
>>8604783
>>8604790
>>8604793
>>8604794
>>8604799

>I asked a question on /sci/
>And I got meme'd

Well done anon, now why did you make this shitty thread?
>>
>>8604893
Chess players are smart at playing Chess and little else, and these 3 are a prime example of that. Some random "social scientist" makes a greater contribution to society than them. "Chess is the greatest waste of human intellect outside of an advertising agency".
t. a Chess-player.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.