[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sci/ can you clarify the definition of order pairs for me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: pfHaq2C.jpg (17KB, 644x527px) Image search: [Google]
pfHaq2C.jpg
17KB, 644x527px
In set theory ordered pairs are represented as {{a},{a,b}}. Can someone explain how this works? Sets can be unordered so {{a}, {a,b}} is the same as {{a,b}, {a}} so how do you use the above to know that {{a}, {a,b}} represents (a,b)?

Also, say that a=b then {{a}, {a,a}}

From here how do you reduce this to {{a}}?

Is it because {{a}, {a,a}} is the set that contains {a}, {a, a} and {a, a} and {{a,a}} can be re-written as {{a}, {a}} so this reduces to {{a}} and using the same principles with {{a}, {a,a}}you get {{a}, {a}, {a}} which is simply {{a}} ?
>>
>>8604522
Compare the representation of (a, b) with (a, a) and (b, a) and you'll see they are all different.

{{a}, {a, a}} = {{a}, {a}} = {{a}}
>>
>>8604522
>From here how do you reduce this to {{a}}?

Not possible. {{a}} and {{a},{a,a}} are two different sets.

Anyways to know that {{a},{a,b}} is (a,b) you simply need to know:

The first element is a if and only if {a} is an element of the ordered pair {{a},{a,b}}

And the second element is b if and only if {(first element, in this case a),b} is an element of the set.

It is as simple as that. Say you have the set {{1},{1,2}}

The first element is the one that such that {element} is in the set, and if we try {2}, that is not in the set. If we try {1} then that is in the set.

Now we know what the first element is so we construct {1,x} and then set x=2 and find that such an element is in the set, therefore that x is our second element. And x=2 so 2 is our second element.
>>
>>8604532
Thanks here is my follow up question:

We have {{1},{1,2}} representing (a,b)

Since the first element is {1} then we have (a,b)

Now we look for {2} in {{1},{1,2}}

but is {2} an element of {1,2} ? this confuses me.
>>
>>8604549
Correction: Since the first element is {1} then we have (1, b).

>>8604531
So, {{a}, {a,a}} is reduced to {{a}} because {a,a} is just {a} and since we already have the other {a} around we can get rid of it to just get the set containing {a} or {{a}}
>>
>>8604532
I re-read your statement. I think I get it now....

So say you have the ordered pair (2,1)

Then what you do is check to see if {2} is an element of the set {{2}, {2,1}} which it is, so you get (1,b)

Then you check to see if {2,1} is in your set which it is so you then get (2,1)

Is that how it works?

What if a=b?

Say {{2}, {2,2}} then you check if {2} is in your set and if {2,2} is in the set?
>>
>>8604557
Sorry typo again meant to say

>Then what you do is check to see if {2} is an element of the set {{2}, {2,1}} which it is, so you get (2,b)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.