[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need an explanation for this phenomenon about LCM's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: happy racoon.png (276KB, 424x412px) Image search: [Google]
happy racoon.png
276KB, 424x412px
Hello guys

I have number N and want to find the LCM of all numbers from 1->20.

I figured out this methodology seems to work but cant figure out why?

First I find all the primes starting from 5 -> 20, which means this is 5,7,11,13,17.

Multiply them all together and get a lower bound for N.

Now this is the magic that I dont understand.
I take the floor of 2nd root of 20 and then floor of 3rd root of 20.

This gives me 2**4 and 3**2 multiplied by my previous lower bound.

This seems to work for me every time, I don't know if its mathematically consistent or a coincidence.

I just want to know why this works, why can a combination of 2's and 3's describe all missing factors of my number N?

Thank ypou
>>
File: akarin angry.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
akarin angry.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>8603283
I have one part of it figured out though:
I understand why 2**4 and 3**2 work, because for all numbers under 20, finding the nth root will give me the highest possible multiple for 2 and 3, which is 18 and 16..

What remains is I dont understand how it magically happens to find the exact correct amount of factors needed between 1 and 20.. for example 12, in which 2*2*3 was needed.
>>
>>8603287
coincidence
>>
>>8603290
Can you show me counter example please?
>>
In all cases, multiplying each prime with the highest multiplicity will give you the lcm. It comes from the fundamental theorem of algebra that every number is a prime or product of primes. And the fact that the lcm is divided by each of the numbers.
>>
>>8603379
Ok but what about this case,
>>
File: angry mayushii.jpg (30KB, 172x195px) Image search: [Google]
angry mayushii.jpg
30KB, 172x195px
bomp
>>
>>8603551
Write out all numbers in terms of thier primes and multiply by the highest power of each prime.

Ex. 1,2,3,2^2,5,2*3,7,2^3,3^2,5*2

Lcm = 2^3*5*7*3^2
>>
>>8605301
Yes, but why taking the root of 21 and 3rd root of 21 give me the number of 2's and 3's required to produce the LCM.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.