[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to be the next Grothendieck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: pepe.jpg (31KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
31KB, 399x388px
i have no math training

but i have training in continental philosophy, post-modern philosophy, so i'm already doing complex work
>>
>>8602694
what is a growthendick ?
>>
>>8602697
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=grothendieck
>>
>>8602700
so why u lurk instead of working on your skill ?
>>
File: Maths.png (4MB, 4133x3331px) Image search: [Google]
Maths.png
4MB, 4133x3331px
>>8602694
>>
>>8602694

I can maybe help.

I was a math brainlet until I was 23/24 (never even took trig) but now I am an applied math major and just finished ODEs, a mathematical logic class and some linear algebra. I'm 25 now.

I know it's not much but I am proud of myself.
>>
>>8602808
your undergrad and graduate selections are by far the best I've seen in /sci/ and I sincerely congratulate you.

you are lacking texts in some (somewhat) more applied topics like measure theory, probability, differential equations, and dynamical systems in undergraduate, and you're lacking variety at the graduate level (for example, algebra is not only algebraic geometry). I am not fit to recommend the necessary additions.

even the bourbaki meme is funny in the context of such a nice list
>>
Is Boubaki really that complex?
>>
>>8602819
tips? ressources? your way?
>>
>>8602879
no, it's just monumental, historical work. you're unlikely to be using them for modern classes, I used a bourbaki book only once in a class for undergrad (and it was a free topic kind of class, so that was the prof's call)
>>
Nice b8
>>
>>8602887
but didn't the whole boubaki project fail at the end?
>>
I want to be the next Einstein.

I only know basic arithmetic and have had extensive janitorial training.

Before you laugh at me, I know this is never going to happen.

That said, why must life be so unfair? This is a grave injustice. Everyone should be able to be the next Einstein if they want to. Someone should do something about this. Where is the righteous indignation? Where are the protests? Is NO ONE morally outraged by this?
>>
>>8602886

The easiest way is to enroll in community college classes, which is what I did. Take the last math you remember attempting.

Go to ALL lectures, do ALL homework and some extra. If you get stuck, go to office hours and get help.

If you're an autodidactic, then get simple books to learn new subjects. For example, I used Cohen for precalculus and trig.

Then use something like Stewart for calculus. The faggots on this board might recommend Spivak or Apostel, but you simply won't have the mathematical maturity for those kinds of books yet.

Here is the order of tackling math:

Skim the chapter, see what it's trying to get at in the most general sense. 10-15 min

READ the chapter with pen and paper. READ the example problems and DO them yourself, follow their arguments. If it skips an algebra step, then do it yourself and see why it works. I cannot stress this enough. When you start to see how the method works, then try earnestly to solve the example problems, looking at the solution when stuck. This can take anywhere between 2-12 hours depending on how quickly you grasp it. I cannot stress this enough: math books are read SLOWLY and worked through yourself.

THEN: do the problems. Just a smattering of all of them until it sticks. Don't do a bunch of the same type of problem that you know how to do, once you can do 1-2 problem types without help, move on.

Using this method, you should be able to do a whole chapter in most math books in about 1-2 weeks with 2-3 hours of work a day. It's really not that much. Every so often, closed book test yourself. Studies have shown that trying to actively recall information is the best way to actually learn it
>>
>>8602968
Just call yourself Einstein
>>
>>8602962
of course not, what are you talking about?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.