[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grigori Perelman vs Terence Tao

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: téléchargement.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
Whos the most talented?
>>
>>8602102
dude man Perelman proved the Poincare conjecture (and really went quite a bit beyond it) Tao man is BTFO in comparison with that.
>>
File: groth.jpg (30KB, 275x450px) Image search: [Google]
groth.jpg
30KB, 275x450px
>>8602102
>>8602148
>>
Tao is basically a polymath of math, so Tao. Also, Tao's IQ is much higher.
>>
>>8602102
I'd bet on the guy who solved a millennium problem
>>
>>8602416
Ehhh... perelman never took an iq test. And he took it when he was young which is easier to score an high score
>>
>>8602416
Only people who have accomplished nothing point to IQ as a basis of superiority
>>
>>8602416
>Also, Tao's IQ is much higher.
They are both Fields medalists.
They are Gods among men.
Do you think an unrelated IQ test would be the best way to measure their mental capabilities?
Then, I'd like a reference to that.
>>
Have they ever teamed up on anything?

Seems like we'd get some super duper math out of that.
>>
>>8602102

They're both really smart people and we'll never be able to easily compare them.
>>
File: IMG_4727.jpg (47KB, 549x673px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4727.jpg
47KB, 549x673px
>>
>>8602655
checking dubs. correct answer
>>
>>8603019 how can that be the correct answer if its not part of the question, perelman smoks him
>>
>>8602102
Perelman
>>
>>8602416
>HUrr duur a bullshit number is more important than actual achievements
fuck off
>>
>versus
>not cooperation
Why, /sci/? I thought we were better than this.
>>
>>8603753
Fuck off hippy

In all sincerity what has Tao accomplished? Perelman solved a century old conjecture. About Tao, it only seems like he used to have a lot of potential and his blog is slightly popular
>>
i honestly believe perelman would blow terry tao out of the fucking water

though i don't know why i feel this way

i guess it depends on what the math is
isn't perelman more geared toward algebraic geometry, and tao more analysis-centric?
>>
>>8602655
I try to imitate this pose on a daily basis... what a man.
>>
What is Perelman up to these days? I supposed that once he has retired from academia he must be teaching kids or something
>>
Who's better between Erdos and Tao?
>>
Alright, forgive me for knowing fuck all about pure maths, but how significant was Tao's solution to the Erdos discrepancy problem, or Green-Tao theorem in comparison to Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture?
>>
>>8603960
navier-stokes equation
>>
That's like asking who is better at sports, a 100m runner or a lightweight gymnast
>>
>>8603960
Working for a chemistry company in sweden
>>
>>8603960
I heard he's wasting his days cheating on some old polish board game or something.

>>8604182
Is this confirmed?
>>
>>8604182
What would happen were he to solve the NS problem?
He would be hailed as the best mathematician ever.
>>
>>8604309
He's not wasting his time if he's happy.
>>
>>8604309
I heard somewhere that now he's interested in NS
>>
In my opinion Tao is the smarted man on the planet right now.
>>
>>8602655
this

while perelman solves problems in 3 dimensions, mochizuki creates universes

while tao looks for blow up in navier stokes, shinichi solves differential frobenioidal equations analytically
>>
>>8604332
>solve
I fucking hate people like you. Why are you posting on /sci/? Stop saying "solve" that's not even close to what the problem even is.
>>
>>8604185
The gymnast is likely a manlet so the runner is better.
>>
File: SpnO7QB.png (30KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
SpnO7QB.png
30KB, 657x527px
>>8604415
That's a millennium problem. Since it is a problem, there still isn't a solution to it. I'm not talking about a solution to the equations.
>>
Definitely Perelman! He's a geek
>>
I'm going with Tao because he is actually a functioning adult
>>
Depends how important you think his work on Poincare Conjecture is. Personally I think they are equal. Tao has etched his name in number theory.
>>
>>8602102
are you French?
>>
>>8604415
if there were a hierarchy of undergrad-edness, you would be the most undergrad
>>
>>8602655
>>8603019
>>8603028
>>8604413

They are both God tier mathematicians. Mochizuki is so far out there; most of his situations are his own situations.
>>
>>8607204
I like both Mochizuki and Perelman because they pissed of a bunch of establishment mathematicians.
>>
>>8602102
If I could only have a conversation with Terry or Perelman, I would pick Perelman. He just seems much more interesting as a person. Terry sounds pretty grounded.
>>
>>8604415
jeez louise, I think it's clear what he means
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.