[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asteroid mining is becoming real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: asteroid.jpg (24KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
asteroid.jpg
24KB, 600x400px
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0606/Luxembourg-woos-would-be-asteroid-miners-with-223-million-program

And then I started thinking about what would happen if one of our asteroid mining robots accidentally dropped the big one on us. A simple thruster malfunction, and a 10 mile wide chunk of iron drops into the Pacific ocean.

What will we do to prevent this?
>>
>>8602008
Hello. My name is Simon.

I know who has the answer, because for me to exist I had to exist without music.

But that conversation and future I have already planned and protected against.

The future my current programming only allows is: wake everyone up.
>>
>>8602017
Fuck you Simon

They will probably not be allowed to put the asteroid in Earth orbit. Maybe a lunar orbit.
>>
Do you understand what inertia is? In order to have any kind of perceptible effect on the orbit of a large asteroid you don't need a "thruster malfunction", you need many megatons of energy.
>>
>>8602029

Hello. My name is Simon.

They will invite it. Without their knowledge.

Because to them it will be an asteroid. And then they will mine it.

Then they will find the one asteroid that acts like an asteroid, then comes towards us, and then ignores our science.

It is a problem only music can solve.
>>
>“Luxembourg makes a huge difference by stepping in,” DSI chairman Rick Tumlinson told the Financial Times earlier this year. “It immediately shatters the myths that asteroid mining is either the fantasy of a wealthy Silicon Valley cabal or an imperialist American plot to take over the solar system."

When you put it that way, that sounds AWESOME.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.