[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EU vs. US eduation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: european-union-flag.gif (18KB, 390x265px) Image search: [Google]
european-union-flag.gif
18KB, 390x265px
Let's be honest. What's superior in terms of education in the STEM field?

What's the better investment? Your average University in the EU or in the US?

Some arguments:
In Europe there are no grade curves and 100% exams, people have a limited attempt of tackling exams, you can't transfer credits from highschool to College/University in Europe unlike in the US, no grade inflation, ...

So what's your excuse Burgers?
>>
>>8601949
>In Europe there are no grade curves and 100% exams, people have a limited attempt of tackling exams, you can't transfer credits from highschool to College/University in Europe unlike in the US, no grade inflation, ...
sure but you have to live in Europe instead of gloriously free America
>>
>you can't transfer credits from highschool to College/University
what does that even mean

also
>burgers get unlimited attempts
i'm pretty fucking jealous, then again it probably has something to do with their schools being expensive as shit. as long as you pay up you're good, in yurop they can't milk you for money so they kick you out
>>
File: 20170114_203722[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_203722[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>
>>8601949
Eduation....
what even is that ?
>>
>>8601980
>>you can't transfer credits from highschool to College/University
>what does that even mean

They take easypeazy math classes in highschool and can get their needed credits for this particular subject approved and added. Basically baby linear algebra or calc 1-3 (whatever they call it), do it on low-level in highschool and just scraping on the surface and still get academical credits for it. In most countries you have real analysis, la/analytic geometry w/e and still have to pass the exam for this subjec tin universit ybecause it's more in-depth.
>>
>>8601949
All that and still America isn't going to collapse unlike your sinking ship of a failed nannystate experiment. Go back to sucking Muhammad's cock, you dumb cucks.
>>
>>8602089
>posted from the US whereas China is basically pulling on the nuts and literally owns the country
>>
>>8602094
>falling for the owner of debt calls the shots and not the guys with the biggest guns meme
this is why you're a loser, eu.
>>
>>8601949
Burger here:

My teachers design exams such that the average grade is ~50% (and are really good at it, averages are almost always between 45 and 55). Does this mean everybody fails? No, it means a test was designed which effectively differentiates between bad, average, good, and great students. The best way to do this is to have a test with a wide distribution of scores, not a huge clump at the bottom or a huge clump at the top. At the same time, obviously not everybody deserves an F, so grades are curved. This system gives the average student a C, above average a B, and a spectacular student an A. Below average gets a D, and if you're in the bottom ~20% of the class you fail.
You only have one chance to take any exam.
There are never make ups of any kind, except in the case (which I've never seen happen) of a serious medical emergency.
The only credits that transfer are the highest level classes in high school, which cover more than the lowest level classes in college. Why should somebody have to go backwards and start college taking classes at lower levels than they studied in high school?

These were the policies which you had issues with. Why are they bad?
>>
>you can't transfer credits from highschool to College/University in Europe unlike in the US
You are naïve as hell, as expected from Europeans. The majority of decent universities here do not transfer AP or IB credits, and if they do, then it is usually for pushing one gen-ed class away, but you aren't getting AP or IB Chemistry credits transferred as a chem major, even if you ace the exam. Reason: lack of proper lab experience.

>people have a limited attempt of tackling exams
Everybody here does, unless you are unironically taking into account technical courses in high school, which are the lowest level courses possible.

>no grade inflation
Grade inflation only affects high schools and meme-tier universities such as Harvard, but the higher GPAs from every applicant still leaves GPA as subjective and unreliable as it always was. Reason: all 3.6s are not equivalent when you compare the courses the applicants took, and some people could have an unfair advantage by having a teacher who is too lenient on grading whereas others have the opposite.

>In Europe there are no grade curves
You're being delusional. Even in secondary schools there, the so-called "rigourous" courses have a significant curve.

8/10 bait
>>
>>8602006
So, you're saying European unis are better because they teach what is taught to American kids in high schools?
>>
>>8601949
University in the US (and the UK) is very much like school. The uni tells you when to take exams, how fast you should progress, and how many lectures you are allowed to take in the first place.

I studied in Vienna, and enrolling in a course meant that you decide how fast you progress, when you take exams, in which order to take them, etc. Uni didn't give a shit about how you were doing.

Studying should be a highly personal experience, only between you and the subject matter. It shouldn't be the university that decides when you're ready to move on to the next stage/topic/lecture. If you happen to think that you might need another year of deeply focusing on thermodynamics, you should be allowed to do that without having to jump through loops.
>>
>>8601949
>>
>>8602627
Yeah...I just can believe that f.e. Lebesgue-Integrals, Topology, ... are taught in highschool right in the US.

>>8602629
I agree
>>
>>8601949
>EU

There are 28 countries in the EU, each one will have it's own system. In somewhere like the UK, Scotland (and I think Northern Ireland) has education devolved. So your question doesn't really make any sense.
>>
>>8602646
motivated students take classes at their local unis

i have friends who were studying rudin at princeton while they were still in high school
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.