[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to approach puzzle games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1080p_01.png (350KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1080p_01.png
350KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /sci/, I hope this kinda thread is allowed here. I'm more often lurking the discussions here.

I don't really game much, but when I play I do like puzzle games. Some of them are really hard like snakebird or stephen's sausage roll or spachechem. One mistake can mean that you won't be able to solve the puzzle.

And this got me wondering are there any mathematical methods/rules one could apply to such or to puzzles in general? I tried searching for stuff but I did not find anything, or is it impossible because of the always different rulesets? (even though many aspects are often simmiliar)

Hope the question makes sense, english is not my naitive language.
>>
>>8600556

Brute force or machine learning.

If you want to create formulas that are more condensed, then that would be dependent on the ruleset.
>>
>>8600556

Intuition from experience.
Logical thinking.
Brute force.
>>
>>8600561
>>8600570
Ah that's what I thought the answers would be, been thinking about this for some time.
Had some ideas about min-maxing, but that doesen't work.

And I thought maybe some graph-theory or topology could be applied, but I do not know enough about that stuff.

Backtracing is the only thing that somewhat works I think, but again depending on the game.
>>
>>8600585

>>8600585
>Had some ideas about min-maxing, but that doesen't work.

That could work. That's like machine learning or as the other poster put it "intuition from experience".

The robot or the human could learn how to reduce the amount incorrect moves. Probably, the human/robot would not actually make the move, but would mentally make the move to see what would happen. So the goal would really be to reduce the necessary mental moves (i.e. trial/error). That's a minimization task that an AI or human could use to learn.

Probably the robot or the human would break the game into sub-games in order to minimize the amount of trial/error necessary to find the correct path (kind of like how that go AI loosely works).
>>
tree search.
>>
>>8600556
>spacechem
>hard
>>
>>8600556
There is a bunch of mathematics on how to solve puzzles AFTER you have precisely formalized the rules. I'm not aware of anything substantial on the topic of going from a puzzle that a human understands to a mathematical model.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.