[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How different would my brain look on scans, from 2 years ago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: download (21).jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (21).jpg
7KB, 300x168px
How different would my brain look on scans, from 2 years ago to now? Spent the last 2 years learning maths from scratch to calc 3 and linear algebra. Didn't know how to add fractions or do long division before this.
>>
>>8600401

kek, not very different. The knowledge you have is mostly stored in the properties of the membranes of your neurons. So the membranes probably look different, but you wouldn't really see any difference in terms of the anatomy.

Kudos though.
>>
>>8600412
I didn't mean a change in anatomy, but I was wondering whether there would be more visible activation in the parts of the brain associated with maths.
>>
>>8600430

Hmm... likely... Higher level activity is a little harder to observe with current technologies though.

Observations are usually seen through these sequence of events:

1. If you use areas of your brain often, then those areas become more easily activated.
2. With more activity more blood is, on average, required to deliver nutrients to those regions (e.g. oxygen).
3. With more blood being sent to those regions, the changes can be tracked over time using magnetic resonance of the hemoglobin in the blood (using brain scanning tech).

I don't know which regions are associated with mathematical reasoning, but these researchers from Stanford apparently have a "hunch":

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2015/09/17/this-your-brain-math/WMrjRMIyyBmtJCLhb5m2FM/story.html

They list:

- the posterior parietal cortex
- the ventrotemporal occipital cortex
- the prefrontal cortex

Those areas of the brain are associated with higher level reasoning and high level mental visualization abilities.
>>
>>8600401
How'd you learn math from scratch?
>>
>>8600501
Yeah seconding this question OP, how did you learn and how did you get the motivation for it?
>>
>>8600501
>>8600512

I studied the following modules with the Open University, a respected long distance university in the UK. You don't need any entry requirements to study with them. I don't have any A-levels, which are the normal entry route to university. Basically every university in the UK, including the really good ones, accept 120 credits from the Open University from specific modules at a particular grade boundary as an alternative to A-level entry.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mu123
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mst124
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mst125

On top of that I went through
Linear Algebra: Step by Step by Kuldeep Singh for linear algebra as it wasn't covered by the modules.

Didn't do anything special. Went through the textbooks (which are really good in my opinion), did practice problems, and attended lectures (the Open University usually has 1 or 2 lectures per month, which they host at a university local to you). I also posted on /sci/ or emailed my tutor if I needed something cleared up, but I was stubborn about that and did it rarely, since I wanted to understand everything myself.

I didn't really need to motivate myself as I really wanted to do this, so I could study engineering. What really drove me was a big sense of inadequacy due to my poor performance in high school (which occured for various reason I won't go into). I finished high school with a G grade, which is basically the lowest GCSE grade. It's very easy to paint yourself negatively when you fuck up so bad.

All in all, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I took the risk. Now I basically have nothing to do until September (will do some revision and maybe work through an engineering textbook), will hopefully get into the electronic/electric engineering program at Warwick or York. I have spoken to both and they accept OU credits.

Hope that was a good enough explanation.
>>
>>8600571

Making it must feel really good. Well done, anon.
>>
>>8600571

Seriously man, Kudos!
>>
>>8600584
>>8600702
T-thanks guys. W-w-we are all going to make it.
>>
>>8600571
Well done lad, looks like you're on your way to your dreams
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.