[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is getting a degree in Geology worth it or is it a meme ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Is getting a degree in Geology worth it or is it a meme ?
>>
>>8599216
Petroleum geologist is basically god-teir
>>
>>8599227
>not doing petroleum geologist journalism

It's like you want to secure life as an indentured faggot
>>
>>8599227
desu i was more interested in hydrogeology

everywhere i look though for geology and job outlooks it's either "yeah there are jobs" or "fuck no there are no jobs don't do this"

then again i hear that about almost everything
>>
>>8599227
Petroleum geology will be a dead meme 50 years from now.
>>
>>8599252
50 years from now I'll be retired so does it really matter ?
>>
>>8599216
It's a pretty autistic degree for people who had pet rocks as children.
>>
>>8599255
Petroleum geology will be a dead meme 20 years from now
>>
It rocks
>>
>>8599266
gneiss pun
>>
>>8599216

Yeah.
The most employable science degree.
>>
>>8599216
I took a rock jockey class, it was pretty comfy.

Couldn't really give enough of a shit about rocks to study though. Not even sure I passed.
>>
Do what interests you. If we only did degrees that got us jobs, we'd all be business management students.
>>
What are some /sci/ outdoor fields? I hate being on the computer all day.
>>
>>8599238
An indentured faggot with a fuckhuge bank account
>>
>>8599216
It's for dudes who like to smoke weed, drink beer and look at rocks
>>
>>8599259
this
>>
>>8599356
>It's for dudes who like to smoke weed, drink beer and look at rocks

I knew a geologist. That's pretty much what he did.

He also was into jui jitsu and was kind of a bad-ass jackass.
>>
Is a masters really necessary or is it ok to just have a Bachelors?
>>
>>8600265
Yeah I don't know any personally but judging from the geologists on here and the geologists that my friends have told me about I think it's a pretty accurate conclusion
>>
>>8599216
It's fun, especially geophysics and plate tectonics. It's harder to find jobs though, so if you are not really into it, go for a degree in physics, chemistry or biology.
>>
>>8599216
Depends, do you like getting stoned?
>>
File: geology-lava-sample-1200x797.jpg (295KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
geology-lava-sample-1200x797.jpg
295KB, 1200x797px
I'm finishing a geology degree in April. Something I've noticed about the degree I'm getting.

My university graduated about 400 engineers and computer scientists last year. We had 6 geologists graduate from the program last year. I've sat in geology classes with 3 people in them.

I'm taking statistics this semester, dead last because fuck stats. My teacher put the statistics of the majors up on the board day 1 to introduce us to statistics. The class is 40% biologists, 25% exercise science majors, 15% computer science, and has exactly 1 (me) geology majors. This is despite the fact that as we consume the world's resources we need more and more people trained to find them.

My friends who graduated are getting $60,000 a year jobs right out of the gate. They are paid to stand around sipping coffee and say 'yup, that drill core contains sandstone', go hiking, and examine rocks used for building foundations. Exactly none of them I know are working indoors.

What the fuck are you people doing?
>>
>>8600612
> My friends who graduated are getting $60,000 a year jobs right out of the gate. They are paid to stand around sipping coffee and say 'yup, that drill core contains sandstone', go hiking, and examine rocks used for building foundations.

You are making me sad. My life was ruined by being a normie.
>>
>>8600612
I really just don't want to end up with a job where I sit in an office 5 days a week for the rest of my life. Just being able to go into the field a couple times a year would really help.
>>
>>8600612
What "job field" is that? Exploratory geology mapping?
>>
>>8600612
not spouting off to others about a career that people sleep on
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.