[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MIT/Caltech anons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 14

File: mqdefault.jpg (8KB, 549x171px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
8KB, 549x171px
Sometimes I lurk this board just to look for MIT/Caltech anons and ask them how the hell they got in
>>
welcome, you have found one. ask your question child
>>
>>8597414
what is MIT stands for ??
>>
Sometimes I lurk this board because I want to find a lava sun/ice sun thread to laugh at new folk who fall for the bait.
>>
>>8597414

how the hell did you get in?
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 389x378px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 389x378px
>>8597445
like i'll get out
>>
Friend went to caltec
>asian
>valedictorian
>graduated a year earlier and took dif eq and multi var already
>35 or 36 ACT but medicore 2200ish SAT
>good scores on subject tests
>academy soccer
>>
I might do a post-doc there or might even try their grad school because why the fuck not.
also i'm a russke
>>
>>8597408
by falling for the meme.

reap the benefits of their classes by watching them online
save yourself from the insufferable dick measuring by going somewhere else
>>
File: cantcompete.png (25KB, 1097x315px) Image search: [Google]
cantcompete.png
25KB, 1097x315px
>>8597408
I decided to one day to compare my degree requirements to caltech's requirements for the degree.
What the fuck is this shit!?
Do you guys have a class called sophomore mathematics? Why not just call it calc 3 or whatever math subject is taught in it. Same goes for the physics class. What the hell are units, why not call them credits?

I am trying to measure dicks using inches, but caltech uses ohms.
>>
>>8597724
>Do you guys have a class called sophomore mathematics?

No, it's Ma 2 / Ma 3, part of institute core (i.e. everyone takes it). Ma 2 is differential equations, Ma 3 is probability and statistics.

Similarly "sophomore physics" is Ph 2abc which is Waves, Quantum, Thermal physics.

Freshman year everyone takes Proof-based calculus, Linear Algebra, and Multivariable calculus.

Not really sure why we call them units. They're (in theory) supposed to represent the hours/week necessary for the course (but generally this is a huge underestimate). You need 36 to be considered full-time student (to get financial aid etc.) and 40.5/term on average to graduate on time.
>>
>>8597408
Why would you want to go to one of those trade schools?
>>
>>8597408

I know someone in Caltech.
He helped around in a research group in Irvine and so got a paper with his name.
>>
>>8597769
Not everyone rofl.
>>
>>8597724
My engineering programme also had a sophomore course following the calculus sequence just called "Mathematics" which was some elementary real analysis course and linear operator course, I'm assuming Caltech has something similar; something the math department threw together without really thinking it through in their ceaseless attempts to make all academics programmes similar to their undergrads'.
>>
>>8597769
>Thermal physics.
Hate this term. Thermo and statistical should be kept distinct.
>>
>>8597985

to make money
>>
>>8597445
Someone left the back door open.
>>
>>8598078
CS majors don't real.

>>8598083
Eh they go hand in hand, especially at that intro level.
>>
>>8599394

One time I went to MIT as a random asshole off the street they let me into the engineering library in the main building completely unattended

could have stole a bunch of those little cards

could have stole a bunch of shit actually
>>
File: 1458240884151.png (228KB, 467x580px) Image search: [Google]
1458240884151.png
228KB, 467x580px
Are certain departments in MIT easier to get into than others?

For example, is CSAIL more difficult to get into than area IV? What about distributed systems/networking?
>>
>>8599423
hayden library is a public library
>>
>>8597536
You dont happen to live in nj do you
>>
>>8599452

pretty comfy place to jerk off I M O
>>
>tfw bachelors at georgia tech, masters at caltech, and phd at mit
>>
>>8599652

Are you meaming me or can you tell me how you got in
>>
>>8599652
Not often do I meet someone who even has a masters and rarer yet got it at a different institution than their doctorate
>>
>>8597408
Eurofag here. Currently enrolled in an university sitting at spot 200-300 in the world rankings. So far my grade average is pretty good. How hard is it to go to graduate school in Cambridge, ICL, St. Andrews. Any other good universities you guys would recommend (for a math masters).
>>
>>8597408
I went to Caltech as a CC transfer, so in some ways I feel like I cheated to get in. Overall, most my classmates were smart, but by no means genius level, and very hardworking with great study habits. A ton of people were also very passionate about research in general which made the long hours more palatable.

I think it's important to realize that not everyone in these schools are geniuses and that people change a tremendous amount during their late teens to early-mid twenties. I saw a lot of students go from being the top of their class in high school to being very mediocre researchers and being out competed by better candidates from less prestigious undergrad programs.
>>
>>8600100
Yeah the thing that sets top tier places apart is everybody's annoying work ethic. Buncha try hards
>>
>>8597605
>implying you aren't butt-devastated that your brainlet mind couldn't qualify even if you tried your best
>>
>>8600172
yeah man why don't they just, like, smoke bowls n shit instead right???
>>
>>8600172
That wasn't what I was trying to imply. In fact, it was pretty great being around so many other students who were both passionate about science, and extremely independent. For me, one of the best parts of attending Tech was how mature most of my classmates were.
>>
>>8597408

I'm a dumbass, but out of curiosity one day I searched on YT videos on how to get into MIT. Basically, emphasize and show how different/unique you are compared to the other applicants. You're applying for acceptance into the best school in the world (as of 2016, acceptance rate is 7.9%). Being a valedictorian, having 4.0+ GPA , amazing SAT scores, and etc. is practically the basic minimum. They're all going to be incredibly smart like you; only way you're gonna get in on smarts alone is if you're so smart it's like a gimmick for MIT to boost their reputation further (see Kelvin Doe, the Sierra Leone kid who built his own radio station from a landfill at 12yo).

Again, you need to stress on what makes you unique compared to the other applicants. Show proof how you volunteer at hospitals for shitz and giggles despite being busy with your studies. Show how you built a college-level STEM project by yourself in your parents' garage out of curiosity. Talk about how you're an amateur boxer or some other sport. Show your awards from prestigious band competitions.

Make yourself an interesting character, not another application to toss into the trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRp3ND-fBNw
>>
>>8600434
Or be black or hispanic. If you're either of those and not applying to a STEM program it isn't terribly hard to get in to MIT. Caltech will still be difficult though.
>>
>>8600460
There are extremely few black and hispanic kids at caltech. In my lecture hall of ~70 I saw one black person. Lots of asian people and indian people
>>
>>8600467
Yes, I know. I went to Tech.
>>
>>8600476
Oh... but you implied being black or hispanic made it easy to get in. If it's really easier, wouldn't there be more of them?
>>
>>8600484
>it isn't terribly hard to get in to MIT. Caltech will still be difficult though

I implied it would make getting into MIT less difficult. Caltech more or less won't give a shit.
>>
>>8597419

It doesn't stand for anything, you pronounce it like "Mitt" as in Mitt Romney
>>
>>8600434

Any ideas on volunteering?
>>
>>8599463
Nope
>>
>>8600460
shut the fuck up pussy
>>
>>8603355
Why? That's actually accurate.
>>
>>8599452
Lol ya and most of the doors on campus don't even lock
>>
>>8600181
>implying your choice of undergraduate institution matters
>>
>>8604651

> implying everyone wants to get a phd
> implying it doesn't even if you want to get phd
>>
>>8603622
Being black/spic in US/EU is life on easy mode.
>>
>>8604716
Go to the hood and say that shit please
>>
>>8604750

They definitely have more opportunities in some ways

If they choose to show interest in engineering then they can go very far. Not many do though
>>
>>8604764
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7SG2C7IVU
Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>8604750
being a hood nigger makes it even easier because then your income is nothing so you qualify for all the income based help too. they are just too lazy/stupid to do anything with all the free shit they get so the squander it all.

almost every hood nigger i met wanted to be a rapper. how many fucking shitty rappers does the world need?
>>
>>8604779

> buzzfeed

the least credible source on the planet

> "I applied to 50 to 100 jobs everyday for months"
> "they said no just because my name is jose"

you can't be serious
>>
>>8604795
it is a well established phenomenon and this isn't /pol/ so I won't debate you here.
But I do urge you to mature as an individual and have an open mind and be more rigorous and practice more critical thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TWt_9ARrg
>>
>>8604809

What am I supposed to get from this?

The only relevant piece of information from this video is that black names are correlated with uneducated/unmarried mothers.

My point was
> If they choose to show interest in engineering then they can go very far. Not many do though

the rest of video is just about black names. I doubt you even watched it.
>>
>>8604716
If you were born upper middle class+ and a minority then yeah, otherwise no
>>
>>8599652
So how hard is it to actually get into a top tier grad school like MIT / Cal / Stanford / ETHZ?

Would maintaining 90th percentile GPA at a top 20 school be enough?
>>
>>8604809
>I have nothing to say but I'll call you a /pol/ poster and say I'm smarter than you
>>
>>8604936
Stop race-baiting you nonstop dedicated stupid cunt.
>>
>>8597536
I got a 34 on the ACT and am taking it again, and have a 91 average at a good high school. I also am in debate club and have over 200 hours of community service. I can probably write a good essay too. Where can I get in?
>>
>>8605693

I had a 35 on my ACT, 3.8 GPA and like no extra curricular or anything at an international school in Europe. Got into UPenn, Brown, and Hopkins. Rejected from Harvard and CMU (didn't apply to any other notable schools).

Went to Brown; applied as a physics major.

I didn't really stand out but wrote what I consider (and still do, 5 years later after all I'm all jaded and shit) to be rather good essays.

Not sure how helpful that is. Brown obviously isn't Stanford/Caltech/MIT.
>>
>>8605739
Do I have a better chance of getting in if I know what major I want to do? I'm in the middle of my junior year and don't even really know if I want to do STEM yet. I'm considering just doing engineering at Buffalo, which is the best state school at engineering, but I'm worried I'd be missing out at a better education/experience.
>>
>>8600187
Programmed robots. Asocial cliches who spend the rest of their lives trying to prove they're not.
>>
>>8605756

Choose a major that you think will complement your essays well. Or choose a major that is unpopular at the school (potentially less competition).

But I don't know. University applications are basically a lottery.

If it helps, the Ivy League is a total circlejerk and I don't think I received an education that was better than if I had gone to any other top 50 US university.

I now go to graduate school in Europe and attend a university that lets just about anyone in. It's not so different.
>>
>>8605739
yo brown is a small school, not a lot of research opportunities there.

I'm at umass honors college in math and physics and there are tons of internships and research projects going on, not as prestigious but I think it is a better option
>>
>>8605776
>>8605781
How did you all choose a major, and do you have tips on networking? I want to not hate myself or go to decades of school while making mad dosh.
>>
>>8605781

No, we had a ton of research opportunities. And virtually everyone I knew was whisked away to SF or somewhere for the summer on an internship.
>>
>>8605792

I didn't know what I wanted to do (other than STEM), so just chose physics. Seemed like a good all-rounder.

I regret that choice now. I think pure math would've been a superior option.

But, I'm in CS grad school now and the physics has served me alright in terms of mathematical maturity so it wasn't a terrible choice.

If you don't have the brain for pure math or don't want to go to graduate school, I think CS is unquestionably the best option at the moment. Both in terms of interesting content and future career prospects.
>>
>>8605804
If I'm purely there to make money and do cool stuff, would engineering or finance be a better choice than math/physics?
>>
>>8605815
>If I'm purely there to make money and do cool stuff

Do CS. Take ML/AI/signal processing (might be in the EE/CE dept)/image classes. Take as much math as you can though. Don't take BS classes like software engineering.
>>
>>8605822
Sorry if this is a meme, but isn't CS saturated af? Also engineers have the highest average earnings, I don't exactly know what they do though. It seems working on wall street has the highest pay.
>>
>>8605837

I dunno too much about it, but seems like there are a fuckload of CS jobs at the moment.

Pretty sure CS grads make more money than engineers (although they're often considered engineers themselves by the industry).

My understanding is that wall street has high paying jobs for people with strong mathematical backgrounds (grad CS/math/physics). But doesn't seem like particularly interesting work.

At any rate, I don't know a lot about jobs. I just study what I think is interesting, idgaf about money.
>>
If we're doing this now, my stats are ACT higher than 30, GPA isn't too bad, never done a single extracurricular, 2 charisma (KHV) and 6 foot 6.

however all I really care about is STEM shit. I spent 500$ on electrical tools and have plenty of c/c++ projects that are pretty impressive IMO as well as some hardware projects.

And I have some pretty good excuses (was in basically the special ed alt school 8th grade, ended up self learning some classes and was in the hardest classes by junior year, lost 100+ pounds)

what school can I go to that will be good for someone who has no life but aren't elitist assholes like caltech
>>
File: ERve1KH.jpg (34KB, 482x722px) Image search: [Google]
ERve1KH.jpg
34KB, 482x722px
It was always my dream to go to Caltech.

>HS senior, class of 2017
>work hard all through HS
>test out of several classes
>take calc III at local college senior year
>ranked 1 in class
>unweighted 4.000, weighted 4.780
>36 ACT, only ever in school history
>800 SAT subjects, math II and physics
>varsity tennis, best spot on team
>varsity robotics, team captain
>NHS, other community service groups
>hundreds of hours of service
>avid amateur scientist, do astronomy, chemistry, physics experiments
>own 12" telescope
>astrophotography too, sent in some really great images
>two published papers
>white male
>good home life, loving family
>no sob story
>mfw rejected
>not even deferred
>>
>>8605900
>>white male
that's what you get for being born a racist. should have been born a nigger so you would have been admitted just for not going to jail before finishing high school.
>>
>>8605900
>white male
That's your problem anon :(
>>
>>8605900
>good home life, loving family
>own 12" telescope
>Able to afford classes at universities
>Able to participate in sports and other activities

You already had a good life. Fuck you. You don't deserve it. I'm glad you didn't get it, asshole. Leave some room for the other people. Can't believe there are people who had their life so easy and STILL deny someone poorer than them a chance for catching up by going to a top uni.

Fuck you, asshole.
>>
>>8604750
>grow up in the hood
>don't be a retard
>everything you'll ever want in life is handed to you because muh diversity muh equality
unfortunately most of them fail at step 2
>>
>>8605933
fuck off
>>
>>8605943
No, you fuck off. You absolute fucking motherfucker.

You had such an easy life, faggot. Now go to your shitty state school and stay there. Get left behind a little so you can feel what people from other backgrounds felt in the past.

If we allowed you to keep living the high life you would never understand your own privilege.
>>
>>8605900

Current techer here. The real reason you got rejected was that you didn't have any research experience, nor any national or higher level awards.
>>
>>8605955
>tfw you will never channel the pain of your past ancestors into your enemies
>>
>>8605900
>had everything you had except telescope
>also had sob story
>white

Sorry pal.
>>
>>8605955
fuck off
>>
>>8605955
I'm glad your ridiculous ideology is finally receding
>>
>>8604930
Depends on the department. If you are a foreigner it is outrageously difficult. Practically speaking are you in the top 50 most qualified undergrads in your field in the world? If not, then theres a fair chance you wont get in.

>Would maintaining 90th percentile GPA at a top 20 school be enough?
Lol
>>
>>8605900
Very similar situation here, and i had an ap exam perfect score on chemistry exam. Fuck caltech.
>>
>>8605933
>easy life
>privilege

Obviously you didn't get into any decent school because you're unable to read and remember.

>>work hard all through HS
>>ranked 1 in class
>>unweighted 4.000, weighted 4.780
>>36 ACT, only ever in school history
>>800 SAT subjects, math II and physics
>>varsity tennis, best spot on team
>>varsity robotics, team captain
>>NHS, other community service groups
>>hundreds of hours of service
>>avid amateur scientist, do astronomy, chemistry, physics experiments
>>own 12" telescope
>>astrophotography too, sent in some really great images
>>two published papers
>>
>>8605989
Oh nvm I didn't see the two published papers part. Idk why you didn't get in kiddo. Maybe you came off as an annoying entitled prick in your essays or something???
>>
>>8606105
Theres stuff in there you can do without being well off but the correlation between owning telescopes and being wealthy is rather.... well you get the idea.
>>
>>8605862
what is your cumulative GPA up to first semester senior year, and what state
A 30 can get you places
>>
>>8605900
where did you get accepted, I assume you also did EA to some schools
>>
>>8606035

Which school are you talking about? For MIT undergraduate admission is almost a lottery at 8% acceptance rate whereas for grad school it's 14%.

I realize that the quality of applicants for grad schools would be much higher, but I'm wondering if you really need to be a Tao-level genius, or would there be a good chance (50/50) just by maintaining a high GPA in a decently ranked undergrad program.

I mean you're talking as if being a putnam fellow is what it takes to get admitted into one of those programs, in which case I'm probably better off giving up on studying and focus on networking to do a startup or something.

I'm studying EECS.
>>
>>8606118
Sure, his life was "easy" in the sense that he didn't have to worry about going hungry, and he had a mom and dad who would either be at home or otherwise available and reliable. But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to get into caltech. I am saying his body of work does deserve to go to caltech. Even without the damn telescope. I'm certain the telescope/astrophotography were the only things on that list that were really expensive, and he totally could have picked up work at 14 for neighbors, and then real work at 16 and paid himself.

robotics, tennis, volunteer stuff, it's all free(part of school) or super cheap.
>>
>>8606105
You "worked" hard. You were allowed to work hard by your own privilege. A poor black man with a shitty family could not have done those things, even if he really wanted. Therefore, he deserves the opportunity more than you

And

>Obviously you didn't get into any decent school because you're unable to read and remember.

I am going to be gracious and not tell at whitch Top 5 I am. Just so that you don't get too salty. Because even in your privilege, I still love and respect you. You faggot.
>>
>>8606703
>Because you could put in the work and work hard to get good grades, a black guy deserves it because he can't
I am not that poster but that guy regardless of his race doesn't deserve something he did nothing to get regardless of whether he had the ability to do so.
And its not like the kid has the lack of oppurtunity to get straight A's, that is just innately possible. He is at a legitimate disadvantage with the ACT/SAT though as he can't afford test prep shit and the best he could do to get his score up is try to find a teacher in his school who gives a shit to help him, which isn't guaranteed or reliable.
>>
>>8599472
No.. no.. no.. you're thinking of the Pubic Library across the street--big difference.
>>
>>8600434
What if you're a 22 year old college drop out who's trying to get into a school like this?

Any options? I'm about to inherit $100,000 and I'm self-studying mathematics while living off of daddy's money. I didn't drop out from partying; I'm just autistic.
>>
>>8606285

about 3.7
>>
>>8606850
that good, you could probably get in to any that is above #32 on this list
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities?_mode=list
for a ranking more relevant to someone on /sci/, these are what this site (which is the most reputable ranking) considers the best engineering
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

so assuming you have absolutely no regional preferences some great engineering schools you could go to are Georgia Tech, University of Wisconsin-Madison, IF YOU LIVE IN MICHIGAN you could get into University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Penn State, Purdue, UIUC, etc.
I can help more if you tell me more shit about what you want to do and be for college (location)
>>
>>8606703
Fuck off with your warped ideology. You dont "deserve" something just for existing, you work for it. You definitely dont deserve something more than someone else just because youre dumber and less accomplished (no matter how many nonsense muh priviledge excuses you come up with)
>>
>>8606865

I have 0 preference for location as long as it's in the US but I don't live in Michigan

My interest is in becoming an electrical engineer or EECS.

Definitely going to apply for Georgia Tech. Any were else I should try?
>>
>>8606866
>Fuck off with your warped ideology. You dont "deserve" something just for existing, you work for it.

In an ideal world, people deserve equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Slavery kind of fucked that up for many, many generations of black folk.

You wouldn't understand because you are a privileged snob. Oops. Didn't mean to trigger you.
>>
>>8606879
>Definitely going to apply for Georgia Tech. Any were else I should try?

Different anon. Carnegie Mellon is pretty dope. I would give it a shot at least.
>>
File: 562.png (532KB, 1597x1600px) Image search: [Google]
562.png
532KB, 1597x1600px
>>8606883
I am not that anon before you start shitposting about it
>>
>>8606879
What state do you live in? I'd recommend colleges closer to where you live to avoid culture shock because that can fuck some people up.

Also do you have legacy anywhere? If you had legacy at UPenn or Cornell you'd have a chance there.
>>
>>8606866
Everyone deserves something: a shot. Even the most retarded kid deserves a shot at life.

You had your shot. You were born into an at least middle class family who could afford nice perks to your education. Now you have that advantage. Do something with it.

Meanwhile, the kid who had nothing but crime and sorrow now made it to college and hasn't yet had a shot. Lets give it to him. An Ivy league degree will be that shot.

If you really think a poor kid who got in through affirmative action has it so good then go up to him and trade. Give his family all your family's wealth, become poor and then go get your affirmative action.

Oh, what? That would suck? Of course it would, faggot. Fuck you.
>>
>>8606925

I'm not worried about "culture shock" and don't have legacy anywere
>>
>>8606830
Anyone? I'm guessing I'm just fucked.
>>
>>8606946

yeah, probably...

But most of us are, anon
>>
>>8606931
I am not that anon and I do not deny that their life is harder assuming they are poor however their hardships in that sense don't have to do with the color of their skin but the money in their bank account.

The middle class kid and the poor kid both have a shot, and a similar shot considering they can both get A's through hard work, as high school classes can really be overcome through a good work ethic in most cases and just not dicking around constantly. The poor kid is at a genuine disadvantage when it comes to ACT/SAT because they cannot afford tutoring, which could be solved through every public high school having a person who's job it is to teach the kids how to do well on those tests, or at least directly teach them whats on the test.

Now both of our posts haven't directly referenced the race of the middle class kid and the poor kid, although it is implied. The true shit of affirmative action is that that poor kid who has lived in crime and sorrow could be white and the middle class family could be black. There are verifiably a shitton of poor whites, and also a shitton of middle class or better blacks. The black kid gets a better shot at an Ivy despite having none of the disadvantages.
>>
>>8607071
>>8606931
also don't mistake that I am advocating for affirmative action on wealth rather than race. I believe that it simply shouldn't exist. A better way would be to try to give the poor the resources (for example every public school having a person to teach the ACT/SAT, maybe just have the guidance consolers do that)
>>
>>8607071
It is true that poor whites also need help from affirmative action and that is maybe one of the failures of the problem. Hopefully, as more rich black people appear politicians will realize that race-based aid is no longer needed and we can go back to the old days of wealth-based aid.

I agree.

But that guy who had a FUCKING TELESCOPE is not poor. So I have no sympathy for him. I have a telescope myself and they go for hundreds of dollars. That is not an expense a poor kid can afford. So fuck him.

> I believe that it simply shouldn't exist.

Then we will have to disagree. Poor people need the help.

>A better way would be to try to give the poor the resources

Good idea. Lets give them the resource of easy access to top tier higher education. That sounds like a good resource.

Glad we could agree on something.
>>
>>8606703
>inb4 freshman at MIT gender studies
>>
>>8607071

There is no excuse for it not being based on socioeconomic status. Race-based affirmative action is purely arbitrary and patently racist. As blacks are already worse off on average in the United States it would still benefit their demographic more in the end and we wouldn't have this warped, unfair system.
>>
>>8606931
>black instantly means pain and sorrow, white instantly means priviledge
Kill yourself, racist sjw faggot
>>
>>8607088
>lol you have money so fuck you
Yeah how dare his parents work hard and make money instead of being shitty criminals?
>>
>>8607157
Listen here, no one is getting fucked. OP is not fucked.

He simply did not get to attend at the best best best school. BOO HOO. Let me cry some tears for the rich kid who didn't get his way for the first time in his life. So fucking sad.

No, you faggot. He still has his superior network, connections and past experience/knowledge. So I'm not crying for him.

>Yeah how dare his parents work hard and make money instead of being shitty criminals?

But those are his parents' achievements. Just by virtue of being born with those parents he would have a better life than someone worth with shittier parents. That is not freedom. That is not a free economy. Therefore I want the government to intervene and help those born with less luck than me or him. Fuck him if he thinks he deserves more than what he already has.

>>8607148
I am mostly talking about poor people. Not about race. Being poor, really poor, is pain and sorrow. Have you ever even visited a poor neighbourhood? Talked to poor people. IT IS SH IT. They deserve at least some help. They deserve a shot.

That the modern democratic establishment has decided that black people also deserve affirmative action is none of my business and is something I don't really approve because I have seen rich black people get aid when they fucking shouldn't.

Fuck those rich black people and fuck the rich white people. The government money should be to help THE POOR.
>>
>>8604930
I went to the "best" high school in the US. Even a 4.5 gpa will not guarantee you a spot in mit or caltech, let alone higher tier ivies.
>>
>>8607177
just realized you were talking about grad schools lel im a faggot
>>
>>8599652
How did you like your bachelors at gt?

I got deferred in early action, but if I get in I'm not sure there'd be a reason I should go there
>>
>>8607176
A person isn't less deserving to go to an elite college if he worked hard to do so than a poor person. Penalizing someone for something they had absolutely nothing to do with is fucking retarded
>>
>>8607414
>Penalizing someone for something they had absolutely nothing to do with is fucking retarded

I agree! Young poor people had nothing to do with their own poverty. They should not be penalized and suffer in the future because of it.

I am glad we found some common ground.
>>
>>8607145
that system would still be unfair, you should not penalize someone for being born rich, they had nothing to do with it. Just get rid of it completely and then dedicate funds to teaching guidance consolers to be able to aid their students with ACT/SAT
>>
>>8607416
Thanks for the bait, it is extremely clear I did not mean that. Again a person isn't any more deserving to go to a certain college because to their socioeconomic status compared to another. As I said a multitude of times, just give them the precise resources they need to do well on the thing they are at a legitimate disadvantage in (ACT/SAT).
>>
>>8607422
>, just give them the precise resources they need to do well on the thing they are at a legitimate disadvantage in (ACT/SAT).

If we gave them these resources then the result would be that more poor people would get in top tier colleges, so less rich people would get in.

Isn't that just literally the same result? Just cut out the fucking middle man. And it is even better the way it is.

If you accept a poor person into your college then you take that person and make him live in a better place with less barriers.

But if we helped them when they are still in highschool then the help may be less efficient as they would still be in the cancerous environment that holds them back.
>>
>>8607430
I'm concerned about fairness. If they are given the resources to succeed and don't use them then it is their fault however in order to facilitate them actually using it, it would be smart to try to change the school culture through intelligent funding (by that I mean it just doesn't get pocketed) to increase quality of school and the attitude in it.

It is infinitely more fair by giving them the resources. My ideal isn't more rich white kids getting in, my ideal is that its just fair.
>>
>>8607445
>I'm concerned about fairness. If they are given the resources to succeed and don't use them then it is their fault however in order to facilitate them actually using it, it would be smart to try to change the school culture through intelligent funding (by that I mean it just doesn't get pocketed) to increase quality of school and the attitude in it.

Sure, propose legislation for this.

When the average SAT score of public school kids is near the average SAT score of private school kids then give me a call and I'll tell president Sanders to stop affirmative action.
>>
>>8607417

I think it would still be slightly unfair but not as much or arbitrary as race. If the motivation is that the less wealthy are also at a educational disadvantage from K-12.
>>
>>8607176

So if a man works hard he does not have a right to transfer the fruits of hard work to his kids?
>>
>>8607561
No, I believe in freedom. So let him give all he wants to his kids. That is his business.

But I also believe that that is the root of inequality. So I want the government to intervene and help people from poorer backgrounds get the opportunities they otherwise would never have.
>>
>>8607469
The latter might not be attainable but the former is easily done. Once that is done then poor kids not doing well is their fault (usually, depending on if they have absuive parents or something and there is a different government agency for that)

Affirmative action doesn't even make colleges income balanced, it just puts more minorities in them
>>
>>8607594

> let him give all he wants to his kids

except make it illegal to give them a good education? are you mad?
>>
>>8607613
>except make it illegal to give them a good education? are you mad?

What? Are you crazy? Affirmative action does not mean it is illegal for you to get in a good college.

It just means that the standards for rich kids are much higher than the standards for poor kids, veterans and unfortunately also minorities.

That is all, and it makes sense. If you had such a support structure then what stopped you from having a perfect GPA.
>>
holy shit you guys are fucking annoying i am not a smart man that goes on 4chan and looks at the science and math page you fucking waste of space
>>
>>8607632
that's not what affirmative action is
affirmative action is making or breaking your application based on the race you literally check in a fucking sheet
retarded fucking faggot
>>
>>8607664
>affirmative action is making or breaking your application based on the race you literally check in a fucking sheet

I am sure that "making or breaking" is not a legal term.

What actually happens is that if you come from certain socioeconomic backgrounds then the standards for your acceptance are much lower than if you come from other socioeconomic backgrounds.

I don't support affirmative action based on race, as I've said before, but I do support it based on family income and for veterans.

Don't bring those salty tears here. Didn't get to Harvar? BOO FUCKING HOO.

Everyone, lets all shed a tear for the millionaire kid who did not get his way.

So sad, saddest story of the year. I bet this will be featured on buzzfeed as this year's greatest tragedy.
>>
>>8607664
na
>>
>>8607670
>socioeconomic
nah, you literally fill a sheet stating your race
>I don't support affirmative action based on race
then you don't support affirmative action
>buzzfeed
jesus, fuck off
>>
>>8607675
>then you don't support affirmative action

I do. Affirmative action is the policy. To who it applies is another story and has to do with who is considered opressed.

I consider the poor to be opressed but other people consider blacks to be opressed. I don't share that opinion but as long as they are helping poor people then I don't mind.
>>
>>8607664
>affirmative action is making or breaking your application based on the race you literally check in a fucking sheet

aside from Native Indian, there is no legal definition of race. in the eyes of the law, you are whatever you say you are. if you really think checking that box will give you a better shot of getting a job/scholarship/approval, then do it.

you just don't like playing the game.
>>
>>8607679
oppression olympics are retarded no matter how you frame them
we should be working to bring people up by rewarding people who manage to do so
not literally rewarding people for doing things worse
>>
>>8607680
the whole point is game is fucking ridiculous and playing with education like that is bad for everyone
>>
>>8606954
I'm saddened by this fact. I wish I could go back to high school and start over again... Maybe had parents who cared about my schooling.
>>
>>8607950

me too, but looking back I don't really think it was my fault so my ego is intact

High school was overall really stupid to be honest. judgments made based on the 10% between a 95% and a 85% in a class aren't really meaningful because that's within the margin of error for the class being shitty.

Despite my C+ in Spanish class and the SATs were they measure your ability to speed read summaries of science experiments, I've put a lot of my own time into learning math and science. Couldn't have done that if I had been a complete teacher's pet with straight As.
>>
>>8605933
>>8605955
>>8606703
>>8606883
>>8606931
>>8607088
>>8607176
>I'm going to write every single sentence as its own paragraph to make my posts take up more space and seem more important because my actual posts are just abrasive, inconsiderate, ideological drivel!
I think it's fair that those with more opportunity are held to higher standards than those with less opportunity; holding them to this higher standard does not equate to asking them to work harder than someone who has less money. We want both individuals to work hard with what they have and recognize that the fruits of the poor man's labor probably won't be as good as the fruits of the rich man's. What is most responsible for increased opportunity (by far!) is not only family income, but also the quality of the schools you went to.
That being said, I don't think "fuck rich people" is the attitude you should be taking to this issue. Rich people are still people, and they're still allowed to have dreams and work hard towards them with realistic expectations. Someone like >>8605900 (assuming this isn't just a joke post) is incredibly impressive even considering possible family income and upbringing. If anything did him in, it was likely the essays he wrote - I made it a point to avoid sob stories, because I didn't want to risk getting in on others' pity, and I was still accepted to some very nice schools.
[cont'd]
>>
>>8608230
>Rich people are still people
Barely
>>
>>8608230
[cont'd]
>I am mostly talking about poor people. Not about race. Being poor, really poor, is pain and sorrow. Have you ever even visited a poor neighbourhood? Talked to poor people. IT IS SH IT. They deserve at least some help. They deserve a shot.
I've grown up near those neighborhoods, and I went to schools for 8 years where 99% of the students were from those neighborhoods. I am not convinced you yourself have ever been to one of those neighborhoods. Being poor in the US is not nearly as "SH IT" as you make it out to be and they're certainly not starving for help. Those that are "really poor" aren't applying for college anyways. (Also, where did this notion that attending college will save the poor come from? It's total nonsense; college can easily be wasted and there are several other, arguably superior, routes that one can take to help themselves out.)
The biggest detriment to poor neighborhoods' residents is lifestyle. I don't think anyone who actually spends times in those neighborhoods and looks around could disagree. They remain poor because their lifestyles keep them there. Unfortunately, growing up in a neighborhood where everyone subscribes to that lifestyle makes it incredibly difficult to subscribe a different, better one. What's holding students back there is their society, which continues to produce low-income residents.

>>8608235
cute
>>
File: index.png (9KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
9KB, 317x159px
>>8608235
>>
I'm a Janitor
>>
>>8597422
#LOL
>>
>>8608254
It is funny that when trying to argue against my position you keep telling more reasons why affirmative action is so important.

Sure, the biggest problem for poor people may not be outside, but inside. But what can we do? We are a free society. We cannot go in and start telling people to stop their cancerous activities.

We need to attack it from outside until it reaches their inside. And the best way is to help them obtain a higher education that will give them high paying jobs so that then their kids will have some wealth and they can afford to raise their kids in better neighbourhoods, or to better their own neighbourhood.

And no, maybe I've not been around many poor people in my life but my heart is very close to their cause.
>>
>>8604704
>it really doesn't matter
>>
File: related.jpg (241KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
related.jpg
241KB, 1200x1200px
>>8608282

Poor kids have every opportunity rich kids have they just choose not to take them
>>
>>8608282
>It is funny that when trying to argue against my position you keep telling more reasons why affirmative action is so important.
Did you consider that I was not taking up a position opposite yours?

>We cannot go in and start telling people to stop their cancerous activities.
I agree, but channeling our frustration with our inability to think of a good solution as malice and condescension for the rich is idiotic.

>We need to attack it from outside until it reaches their inside. And the best way is to help them obtain a higher education that will give them high paying jobs so that then their kids will have some wealth and they can afford to raise their kids in better neighbourhoods, or to better their own neighbourhood.
The way you're attacking it is with a highly selective process that will result in only a few high-performing poor individuals getting college education which is, again, not a magic bullet guaranteed to give high-paying jobs anyways. That is not the way to effect a social change. You'll need something more accessible, and there are more accessible options that exist.

>my heart is very close to their cause
It should be difficult to say one's heart is close to another's cause when they do not know that other's cause. I do not think their is a lot of room for pity or individual sympathy, but of course, I'd like to improve their situation if possible.
>>
>>8608347
>Did you consider that I was not taking up a position opposite yours?
I didn't. Maybe I should.

>but channeling our frustration with our inability to think of a good solution as malice and condescension for the rich is idiotic.

It is not idiotic. We need to make the rich be more sensitive to our cause. We tried all. We gave them social and economics incentives and they wouldn't bite.

Now, for some reason, guilt tripping is working. So lets just guilt them to death. Lets keep saying that being white and rich is a sin and that you need to pay for that sin by helping poor people. As long as it works.

>that will result in only a few high-performing poor individuals getting college education

Well, obviously affirmative action is not all we need. We need better education, public spending in poor communities by which I mean giving loans to poor people to start businesses and hire other local poor people, etc.

>It should be difficult to say one's heart is close to another's cause when they do not know that other's cause

I know their cause. We have things they don't have. Lets give those things to them. Problem fixed.

As easy as 1 2 3
>>
File: IMG_20170116_230053.jpg (2MB, 3824x2168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170116_230053.jpg
2MB, 3824x2168px
Current Techer here. I got in with a shit ton of hard work, perfect standardized test scores, an interesting personal background, and lots of luck.
>>
File: 1483507453941.jpg (20KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
1483507453941.jpg
20KB, 500x313px
>>8604779

Did you just quote BuzzFeed?

Let me speak your low IQ language to convey my emotions:

>Nigga wat the fuck? What the fuck nigga? My hed jus explode girl!
>>
File: D0xku2d.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
D0xku2d.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
>>8604809

1/10
>>
>>8608809

Damn anon
>>
>>8597408
I go to MIT. Sitting in Rotch library as we speak lad.
I got in because I needed to, i have a lot of work I need to do.
>>
>>8600100
Nice
Was it difficult going from a CC to a prestigious school?
Im trying to do the same in a year or so.
>>
>>8609404

If you aren't making an unfunny fallout joke can you explain what you mean
>>
>>8608809

I'm impressed, nice job
>>
>>8608809
I thought you mispelt teacher for a second there, until I opened the pic
>>
I got accepted early decision. What should I expect?

And is it true that Simmons Hall is best hall?
>>
>>8610126
Not him, but the The Institute is MIT 200 years in the future in the Fallout alternate timeline.
>>
>>8610412

what did you do to get in?
>>
>>8610421
Perfect SAT, top 1% of class.
But that doesn't really matter, it’s about being unique. What I did that I think was special: I made a rap about programming.

Also, in the short-answer prompts, it needs to be rich and it needs to tell a story that makes you stand out. It doesn’t have to be sciencey, you can literally talk about how you love chicken tendies so much that you created a club at school where people can share their passions for fried meals (of course, if you don’t like chicken tendies to that extent and you didn’t actually make such a club, you can’t do this).
>>
>>8606830
Well since no one else gave you advice, I'll chime in.

SAVE YOUR MONEY. Go to a smaller mid-to-high-tier school and aim to go to MIT/Caltech for graduate school with funding.

But the truth is you can go to any college if you're willing to spend enough money.
>>
>>8610432
idk dude MIT/Caltech financial aid is really good. Usually I'd only rec going to a less prestigious school it's both quite good and literally free. Else you'll have way more opportunities at MIT/Caltech.
>>
>>8610432
>SAVE YOUR MONEY
The elite colleges give shittons of financial aid dipshit unless you family makes an absurd amount of money at which point they can pay for college

>But the truth is you can go to any college if you're willing to spend enough money.
You can't just be some rando spending money on a college to get in as thats legally just bribery. If you are an alumni of a school and make donations thats acceptable, but that means for people getting into college their parent had to go there.

This also ignores the fact that you can't just pay to go to college and MIT/Caltech completely ignore legacy and contributions made.
>>
>>8610428

You did that on the application?
>>
Private schools don't have AA, that is restricted to the government. Even then, that just means for every position someone of like each demographic has to be present. CIA has recently admitted they don't even meet their own diversity goals. Some private institutions have given themselves quotas because they want to. Anyways, the low number of minorities in STEM(about 13%) should show you that if you did not get into a school for STEM, it probably wasn't because a minority snatched your position. Also, most top tech schools don't have ethnicity quotas. Maybe quotas for nationalities, but I don't know. MIT and Caltech do not have racial quotas
>>
>>8610499
>Even then, that just means for every position someone of like each demographic has to be present
I mean interviews for positions. They have to make an effort to interview minorities
>>
>>8610463
Not with chicken tendies, but with a weird passion of mine
>>
>>8610463
That would be a good essay anon, they don't care about the essay being academic they are literally looking for your personality. Everyone applying has the equivalent of being really fucking smart/enough reasons to ignore their bad shit so they are equivalent. You want the admissions officers to remember who you are.

>>8610499
Caltech doesn't have racial quotas or favored treatment towards any race, and MIT might not have quotas but they definitely favor minorities
>>
>>8604930
Don't fall for it. Seriously. These schools have classes online. You can take practically every course in your bedroom.

Do you know how many guys I meet who go there and then end up at some shitty job making chump change? Pretty much every one
>>
>>8610617
>Grad school
>Online
it's like you didn't even read the post
>>
>>8605955
This is why we need meritocracy and a purge
>>
>>8597408
I don't go to either, but I intern at JPL, which is technically Caltech. I have a coworker who graduated from Caltech. He offered to help me get in, but I refused because I don't like the undergrad vibe there. I much rather go to a UC for undergrad and then switch to MIT or Caltech for graduate.
>>
>>8610936

you fucked up, son
>>
tfw middle class argie
consider its not like us of a middle class

theres no fucking way for me to get into mit or similar

it hurts, man, it hurts.
at least i'm going to study math or physics at the best uni of this shithole.
its something.

hold me breh
hold me......
>>
>>8611633

-t. mudhut engineer
>>
Would it be possible for someone who is late 20s yo and a late bloomer to get accepted to undergrad at one of these elite schools?
>>
>>8613207
Maybe
>>
>>8613207
Were you in the military?
>>
>>8613277
Wasnt in the military. Just someone who was a lazy idiot in teens and early 20s. In last few years Ive been self studying basically from scratch. I'm specifically interested in getting into trading at the inter-bank level. Problem is that they all require you to have a degree from top 10.
>>
>>8599738
I would expect Cambridge to be very hard to get into for their Masters. Their MMath is considered the most challenging graduate maths program in the world. The competition is very fierce. To stand a chance you would expect to be in the top handful of your college.
>>
>>8613315
Go to some place like Boston College where its easier (relatively) to get into where Wall Street heavily recruits from.
>>
>>8613315
I'm the anon who transferred to Caltech from a CC. I was an older student, although not as old as you, and I was prior service. It's definitely possible, just do well at CC, have a compelling story, and some good internships under your belt.

I was in the quant/HFT world for a while. Recruiting will really depend on exactly what kind of trading you want to go into, and sometimes will be very dependent on the specific firm. My shop for instance didn't take anyone who wasn't a STEM major.
>>
I went to ugrad at MIT (did't apply to cal. Was a nerd in HS who did very well in all my classes because I actually found them interesting (it helps that I went to a special school with amazing teachers). I actually think having intellectual curiousity in a subject goes a long way--and it's *really* easy to tell if someone is faking that. I also participated in a lot of math competitions, did reasonably well (qualified for USAMO multiple times, never did well at all because I never really practiced as hard as I should have). I liked math a lot and I learned a lot of math from a prof near my HS that wrote me a very strong letter of recommendation. I am not a prodigy or genius, just worked hard at math because I knew I wanted to be a mathematician since I was very young. I never really did anything noteworthy outside of the good grades, good HS, and good at math. I did participate in an extremely wide variety of extra curriculars and was decent at all of them but nothing particularly noteworthy. Was enough to get me into MIT. I think people misunderstand how to get into these schools. If you're above average intelligence, but very hardworking and have *authentic* intellectual curiousity (not this BS omg i love science crap on the internet), I think it's suffiient. Hear me out on the intellectual curiousity bit--I'm not saying you'll get in by signalling curiousity alone. I think anyone who likes a subject enough will work hard at it will excel (e.g. me with the math). It's harder to get in if you are not able to excel in a subject you are passionate about. I think everyone I met in MIT falls into 2 camps--competent at everything in HS because HS is easy, but excelled very highly in one subject, or "regular" seeming people who were just really good at everything with incredible, varied extracurriculars. The latter I feel is a much harder strategy, while the former is achievable by anyone with passion and a work ethic.
>>
>>8613820

If that's the case I might make it, brehs
>>
>>8605693
community college
>>
>>8600460
I'm a spic and i'm pretty sure that helped me get into [spoiler]carnegie mellon[/spoiler]. I was pretty damn decent but better people from my high school got rejected.
>>
File: 1429796858394.jpg (150KB, 600x591px) Image search: [Google]
1429796858394.jpg
150KB, 600x591px
>>8608230
fuck off: the post
>>
>>8597414
GPA and SAT?
Extra Circulars?
Any other shit?
>>
>>8615131
you can be just as good or even better but there aren't nearly enough seats to accept all the good students that apply. there is no one thing you can do to guarantee acceptance. it really is a lottery
>>
>1420
>4.2 GPA
>IB Diploma
>Job as chess teacher at elementary schools
>other extra cirics and shit
do i have any chacne
>>
>>8605693
>>8605756
91 is about a 3.6
Considering you seem to live in New York, you can get into the Great Lakes state schools that aren't Michigan (us NY'ers get absolutely fucked when it comes to Michigan) which are all great for engineering. You can probably get into NYU, but they suck for engineering. If you have legacy at any Ivy you can get in there, although how active your alum parent would affect that.

I was in a somewhat similar place to you, I recommend you look at: RPI, Penn State, Bucknell, SUNY Stony Brook (as good as Buffalo for engineering really), SUNY Binghamton (its actually a good school), Northeastern, some Great Lakes State schools like Wisco, and maybe some Ivies/CMU for a reach. If you are interested in the South then look at Virginia Tech, NC State, and Georgia Tech.

good luck fellow NY'er
>>
>>8615638
>1420 SAT
no chance
>>
>>8615656
What about Emerson, University of Miami, or USC? I'm touring Boston University and Northeastern soon, why do you recommend Northeastern? I'm looking at Buffalo.
>>
>>8615638
>1420 sat

lol
>>
>>8608315
that's objectively false though
at the very least, it pretty much depends on the situation
>>
>>8615656
Thanks NYbro. What are you majoring in/doing?
>>
>>8615663
>>8616713
You do realize that they changed the Sat and now it's out of 1600 right anons?
>>
>>8616814
Yes.
The chances are still low, since 2250 was the soft cutoff on the 2400, which would be 1500 now
>>
>>8597408
be a minority, get lucky, or be an academic superstar with science olympiad medals and the like, along with enough of the "right" extracurriculars.
>>
>>8616814
Yes and 1420 is still not viable for MIT or Caltech what so ever. It puts you in the bottom 10th percentile, probably lower, and that bottom 10th percentile is almost 100% minorities and other token shit.
1420 is not good for HYPSM, almost 0% chance.
>>
File: 0999.gif (101KB, 599x500px) Image search: [Google]
0999.gif
101KB, 599x500px
>>8599472
>>8599452
>>8606825

> tfw you make cummies in a IEEE publication
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.