[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Immortality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: DNA.jpg (639KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DNA.jpg
639KB, 1920x1080px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortalised_cell_line
I was looking over this Wikipedia page and from what i know. If our cells were to be made immortal would that not also make us immortal?
>>
>>8597043
No because cells also deal with problems that aren't solved by maintaining proliferative capacity, which will eventually overcome the body unless you treat them
>>
>>8597043
Yes. But we would also develop cancer that had to be removed constantly.
>>
I've been seeing a rise in biological immortality threads on /sci/ and in the news. What's up with that?

Also there has been a rise in want to be edgy nihilist shit posters as well.
>>
File: cJESO5gpZDE.jpg (35KB, 604x285px) Image search: [Google]
cJESO5gpZDE.jpg
35KB, 604x285px
>>8597076
I think you could circumvent that problem, by not making your cell immortal. But increase the length of your telomeres and then repeat the treatment after a while. Then senescent cells should become able to divide again, but cancer cells that would proliferate a lot faster than normal cells, would not be able to proliferate indefinitely.
>>
>>8597085
/pol/esmokers have been shitposting here for a while
>>
>>8597094
so like a temporary treatment of telomerase?

Cells don't always enter senescence just because they run out of telomeres, IIRC. If the cells just accumulates enough stress it'll just shut down growth indefinitely anyway, after accumulating proteins that are made in response to cell arrest signals (cells will normally say fuck no to mitosis if it knows crazy shit is going down, ie you got shot with x-rays).
>>
>>8597076
You can have non-tumorigenic immortalised cell lines i.e. immortalised cells that aren't cancerous.

There are other problems with immortalising cells, this isn't really a good one to start with.
>>
File: 1417094727487.jpg (136KB, 646x914px) Image search: [Google]
1417094727487.jpg
136KB, 646x914px
>>8597107
apologies on behalf of /pol/.. we should never interfere with /sci/'s white-guilt + EM drive threads.
>>
File: bog5.jpg (119KB, 1000x581px) Image search: [Google]
bog5.jpg
119KB, 1000x581px
>>8597115
I'll get the Bogs on you for that
>>
>>8597115
What does /sci/ have to do with white guilt?
>>
>>8597085
SAD and college freshmen realizing uni doesn't suddenly make you whole.
>>
>>8597109
>so like a temporary treatment of telomerase?
yes, I think directly cellular immortality, would be dangerous because of the likelihood of survival of "rouge cells" and I don't think a universal cure to cancer will be developed in this century.
If you went with stimulating regrowth of telomers with spaced intervals .Then you could reduce the likelihood of rouge cells turning into full blown cancer.

Is it possible to reinduce the ability of replication in senescence cells? - yes it is. If it takes more than just applying a telomerase treatment, then that would complicate things, but it would still be feasible.
>>
>>8597131
Isn't that what SENS currently trying to do? Treatment where you go in get it, come back 20 years do it again, and repeat.
>>
>>8597185
don't know what SENS is trying to do, as far as I understand then it is that guy, Aubrey de grey or something like that, I was under the assumption that he was more meme than man.

But if that is what they are trying to do, then they sound somewhat reasonable, since they must have reached the same conclusion that I have.
>>
>>8597198
>more of a meme
Well he hasn't been proven wrong with his idea, and used his own most of the millions from his inheritance to help fund his group and work.

If he was a meme that would be taking it too far.
>>
Life extension that leads to biological immortality for 1st worlders: 2030s.

Calling it now.
>>
>>8597250
seems a little short.. let's say there is a periode of a ~7 year drug trial, before such a drug can enter the market. So the blueprint of a potential drug should already be in the progress now, if your prophecy were to be true.

But again, as I understand it they have already have made some progress with mice. But you know the saying "we have cured cancer thousands of times - in mice".
>>
>>8597263
A lot more progress would be made if we tested humans instead of mice.
>>
>>8597263
>Mice
If I remember correctly they managed to reverse age within a few month old mice, but the mice got cancer.

Which isn't bad as it showed progress. I'm sure there is an article on the thing floating about.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.