[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Double phd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Sup /sci/ I'm a 3rd year chem student and looking into getting a phd because a bs alone doesn't pay shit.
Here the problem: I can't decide on what to specialize in, and as the masochistic retard that I am, I'm contemplating doing two simultaneous phds. So here's the question: if I do that, do I have to do two doctoral thesis or can I make one thesis that encompasses both areas? Because I don't mind taking extra clases but two investigations is sort of overkill.
>>
>>8596753
>>I'm contemplating doing two simultaneous phds
That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.
>>
>>8596762
... that reality does not escape me
>>
>>8596753

How is that possible?
>>
>>8596784
One of my undergrad math professors purportedly had 2 PhD's. I'm not sure if he did them simultaneously however.

I think it's possible but really only realistic if you have one project in mind for research which happens to give dissertation level results in two different fields at the same time.

Otherwise I doubt that two different programs would accept you in the same school at the same time, and if you tried doing it in two schools at once you would most likely be dropped from one or the other if they found out.

t. PhD student.
>>
>>8596753
>I'm contemplating doing two simultaneous phds.
Why?

>>8596789
>One of my undergrad math professors purportedly had 2 PhD's.
That is relatively common in Germany though they tend to do them sequencially.
>>
>>8596753
You are a fucking idiot man.
>>
>>8596795
>Why
I just can't decide on a phd, figured if I could kill two birds with one stone I would.>>8596823
>>8596823
Lmao I know
>>
>>8596753
You are grossly, _grossly_ underestimating the amount of work required in earning a PhD

You also don't seem to understand what even goes in on a PhD if you think you can just tack on extra classes for another one
>>
>>8596762
>>8596784
>>8596753

Listen, OP, a PhD is a process that will more or less consume your life for a while. Getting two of them simultaneously would be an (almost) impossible undertaking, even for industrious students such as yourself. As somebody else mentioned, people who end up getting multiple graduate degrees complete them sequentially.

Basically, quite being a naive retard and choose a specific program.
>>
>>8596873
>I just can't decide on a phd, figured if I could kill two birds with one stone I would
unless you watch has 96 hours per day you'd better follow this advice: >>8596875

I did a PhD in Physics and had approximately zero spare time. Which was not too bad since I had no money either so I was relieved of opportunities to use money.

As to what to do, I don't know the chemistry field well enough though there is some overlap with solid state science. That is fairly safe wrt. leaving for industry in case an academic career in more starvation does not suit you.

Semiconductors and nano-materials are fairly safe for work and full of activity and opportunities for really interesting work.
>>
File: flower.jpg (17KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
flower.jpg
17KB, 225x225px
>>8596753
>I'm a 3rd year chem student and looking into getting a phd because a bs alone doesn't pay shit.
Meanwhile in computer science...
>>
>>8596753
>can I make one thesis that encompasses both areas?
My thesis is going to encompass 4 papers in 3 different fields so yea do this. I don't think any university allows for simultaneous registration of multiple PhDs anyway.

In my opinion most graduate students that take their discipline/education seriously will tend to study, work and publish more than the bare minimum required.

>Because I don't mind taking extra clases but two investigations is sort of overkill.
It's grad-school, you can take literally any extra classes you like, it doesn't even have to be from your department.
>>
>>8596883
>Basically, quite being a naive retard and choose a specific program.
Hahahaha I'm glad I decided to post this here before talking to a professor about it, I'd rather have people on the internet thinking I'm a retard than having someone who could potentially write recommendation letters for me
>>8596915
Good to know that, I really only want to study chemistry but I want to work in different areas. For example i want to conduct research in medicine (treatments, drug development and the like) which would require organic chemistry, but I don't enjoy organic chemistry all that much. I do enjoy inorganic chemistry, and physical chemistry is a really beautiful subject too.
Honestly I'm just a train wreck of indecisiveness
>>
>>8597009
Yeah, better getting shit from an anonymous board than the people writing your letters of rec. Also, be sure to get into any research opportunities you can as an undergrad. Good luck.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.