[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Debate: Nursing or Medicine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Nurse and Doctor.png (478KB, 657x490px) Image search: [Google]
Nurse and Doctor.png
478KB, 657x490px
>Nursing or Medicine
Well, /sci/? Which is the better field?

>inb4 "they're both shit"
>>
My mom is a nurse, my dad is a doctor - and I'm speaking just anecdotally

Doctor (specifically, emergency medicine)
>rotating 12 hour shifts, he works full time at 4x 12 hour shifts weekly
>salary is $350k/yr
>malpractice insurance is 25k/yr or so
>has to relicense every couple years for competency
>has to work when sick unless able to talk a coworker into working for him
>graduated in 1985 with 40k in student loans
>unheard was bio, MD, residency at 4 years total 12 years before he started to make a comfortable salary

>Nurse, orthopedics
>works 3x 12 hour shifts a week
>4 year undergrad degree
>makes $45/hr (90k year)
>doesn't have to take exams to show continual competence, just has to take CEU's and pay a fee every 2 years
>malpractice not needed or required
>lots of overtime available

From a pure financial position, and factoring in opportunity costs, nursing is the field to go - after 15 or so years the MD route, of course, wins

But who wants to help sick people all day anyway
>>
>>8594741
My dad is a nurse, my mom is a doctor - and I'm speaking just anecdotally

Nurse, orthopedics
>rotating 12 hour shifts, he works full time at 4x 12 hour shifts weekly
>salary is $350k/yr
>malpractice insurance is 25k/yr or so
>has to relicense every couple years for competency
>has to work when sick unless able to talk a coworker into working for him
>graduated in 1985 with 40k in student loans
>unheard was bio, MD, residency at 4 years total 12 years before he started to make a comfortable salary

>Doctor (specifically, emergency medicine)
>works 3x 12 hour shifts a week
>4 year undergrad degree
>makes $45/hr (90k year)
>doesn't have to take exams to show continual competence, just has to take CEU's and pay a fee every 2 years
>malpractice not needed or required
>lots of overtime available

From a pure financial position, and factoring in opportunity costs, nursing is the field to go - after 15 or so years the MD route, of course, wins

But who wants to help sick people all day anyway
>>
>>8594798
This doesn't make any sense. Why does a nurse supposedly have a MD? Why does a doctor supposedly have only an undergrad?

I think you swapped some shit you dyslexic retard.
>>
>>8594798
oh nevermind you just pasta'd and swapped the other guys post cause you're a retarded edgelord.
>>
>>8594812
>14:30:24
>>8594815
>14:31:26

Hah, took you a minute and 2 seconds to de-brainlet-ize yourself. You are a brainlet. This was actually a very clever test and I am the same guy who posted >>8594771

You failed the test. You are not smart enough to be a doctor, go for nurse.
>>
>>8594741
Doctors don't have to clean shit
That is a plus for me and exactly why I am an MD
>>
>>8594826
But you guys do have to hold test tubes of shit, especially if you become a GP or an ass Doctor
>>
>>8594741
Nurse if you want to ever have a life and get paid very well for it
Doctor if you lack a soul and will to have a life, yet want to make a lot of money
>>
Both are glorified trades. Nursing won't get you any respect, and only the specialized fields are high paying, and they require graduate degrees. Sometimes the programs are just as competitive as med school. Speaking of md - everyone will instantly think you're a genius if you're a doctor. This, of course, isn't true, but if you get your md and go into a coveted specialty, you're pretty much in the best possible position for upward socio-economic movement available in the USA. You won't find many other professions where you're guaranteed a high salary (250k+) so quickly, short of inventing the new Facebook. Neither are science.
>>
>>8594919
>Neither are science.
Medicine is applied Biology and Nursing is applied Medicine.
>>
>>8594934
Medicine isn't very methodical and relies on guessing and "what works." Don't kid yourself.

Medicine and nursing have little to do with eachother, besides the fact that the two work in the same building. It's like psychology and psychiatry. Both are attempting to treat the same ailment, but with drastically different approaches and viewpoints.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.