[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic Physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0471.gif (3KB, 486x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0471.gif
3KB, 486x256px
Hey /sci/, brainlet here.

In physics we know that acceleration is the change in velocity over time. Yet I've see some weird formulas for finding acceleration such as pic related.

Is there any intuitive way to conceptualize why acceleration is equal to the change in velocity over twice the distance? Why does this work when the denominator is time AND when it is 2(d)? Why are we multiplying d by 2 in the first place?
>>
>>8591377
Whoops. Meant d^2 not 2d.
But here is 2delta(d) in the denominator.

How is it that we can solve for the same variable (acceleration) using different denominators in (what would have been) the same equation?
>>
>>8591377
That's... totally wrong. Units don't work.
>>
File: IMG_0472.png (3KB, 229x122px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0472.png
3KB, 229x122px
>>8591381
>forgets to post pic
I really need to get my shit together
>>
>>8591377
Take calc 1 and learn how to differentiate/integrate basic polynomials.
Algebra-based physics is a shitty meme
>>
>>8591377
>constant acceleration
x=xi+vi*t+a*t^2/2
v=vi+a*t

d=xf-xi
vf-vi = a*t
t=(vf-vi)/a

d=vi*t+a*t^2/2
d=vi*(vf-vi)/a+a*((vf-vi)/a)^2/2
d=vi*(vf-vi)/a+(vf-vi)^2/2a
a*d=vi*(vf-vi)+(vf-vi)^2/2
a*d=vi*vf-vi^2+(vf^2-2vf*vi+vi^2)/2
a*d=-vi^2+(vf^2+vi^2)/2
a*d=(vf^2-vi^2)/2
a=(vf^2-vi^2)/2d
>>
>>8591377
> Yet I've see some weird formulas for finding acceleration such as pic related.

It helps to have a legitimate equation to start with..

Even with your correction, it is still invalid, see:>>8591383
Also it is genuinely tough to understand mechanics intuitively without using and understanding calculus to second >>8591386
>>
Here's the problem that I need to solve:

Pam, wearing a rocket on her back, stands on frictionless ice. Her mass is 45kg. The rocket supplies a constant force for 22 meters and Pam acquires a speed of 62 m/s.

1) What is the magnitude of the force
2) What is Pam's final Kinetic Energy?

I think for part 2 it's a bit easier since you just plug in the mass and velocity into the KE =(1/2)mv^2.
But for the first part you would need to work out acceleration, no?

We know the initial velocity is zero and the final velocity is 62 m/s. We know the distance that was traveled and we know her mass.
How do we find Force?
>>
>>8591390
>How do we find Force?
See >>8591383
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.