[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too late at going software dev at 24?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: lapl.gif (3KB, 419x126px) Image search: [Google]
lapl.gif
3KB, 419x126px
Hello guys.I just finished System Engineering ,am currently in my Master's degree on Real-Time systems and i was wondering if it is too late to go on software development.So far i coded at school in C/C++.It seems jobs on my field are a bit hard to get and you need a lot of time to get experience etc.. on PLC,HMI, SCADA...,+ they seem a little braindead.

Would a C# option sound viable?
>>
>>8590380
I don't get it, aren't you already in software development if you're doing masters on Real-time systems?
>>
>>8590401
No , it aint viable or its not too late?
>>
>>8590412
Im on systems engineering meaning: PLC programming, Industrial automation
>>
>>8590380
its never too late for anything..

you're here for ~80 fucking years. do you really have the mental fortitude to be sitting around for 60 more years being bitter about not doing something that only takes 4 years.
>>
>>8590417
I'm not meaning university..i am meaning just getting a job on high level programming software development.
>>
>>8590416
>Im on systems engineering meaning: PLC programming, Industrial automation

Why would you downgrade to typical software engineering?

Also, yes. C# is so fucking popular it is ridiculous and it is just going to get better. With shit like Xamarin I wouldn't be surprised if C# became this century's C++. It is already getting there. And C# is relatively easy, specially if you know C++. I would even call it C++++

t. Programmer
>>
>>8590423
Why would you call it downgrading..your job is better paid and alot less stressful.
>>
>>8590431
>Why would you call it downgrading

Because from my point of view doing system programming is a lot more technical and therefore more fun and respected. Typical computer programming is trivial. The only reason I'm here is because I have an education in pure mathematics so obviously I will never touch embedded systems or robots (unless I got a masters in that shit and I'd rather get a masters in pure mathematics).

This job is technically trivial. The only fun part about it is when I am working on my own in-company projects that I can get creative with and have a good time but when you are working at a company like mine (pre-historic) and some client calls needing a fix and you need to bust out a virtual machine running windows XP to open Visual Basic 6 and read for potentially hours to find and understand that one function you need to modify, it gets tedious. I would much rather be doing robots.

>>8590431
>your job is better paid and alot less stressful.

Less stressful I can probably agree. The in-office free time I have is almost ridiculous but better paid? I thought that systems programming was the better paid industry within software? Specially embedded systems programming. Is that not what you do?
>>
>>8590450
My field of Study is Automation and Systems Engineering.Even though i stuied a bit of Verilog for embedded its not what it means.My field resolves around industry usually.Be it pharma,food petroleum or anything that has automated lines of fabrication...where you have robots ,motors,sensors,motor-drives,human machine interfaces.
>>
>>8590466
That doesn't sound bad but if you want to do the jump anyways then download Visual Studio Community 2015 Update 3 (which is free and under the license you can write and distribute software legally as long as you are an individual or small company with less than something-hundred clients)

With it you can download all the different .NET libraries and program in C#, but also C++, visual basic, javascript, anything. You can also use it to write desktop applications, mobile applications (Xamarin) and web applications (Webforms, which works both with VB and C#)

There are also 3 different .NET libraries There is the traditiona .NET which wraps your program inside a virtual machine for easy distribution (but slow for computation, obviously). There is NATIVE .NET which actually compiles your C# code into machine instructions to make powerful applications, and there is Universal .NET to specifically make universal windows (desktop and windows phone) applications.

You can all with it. Get started. Download a book first about C# and then about .NET and then become a pro.

I recommend C# 6 and .NET Core 1.0 by Mark J. Price if you want to really become a C#/.NET professional. This book is not about C# programming, it is about the technology in general.

To learn C# I recommend any free .pdf that tutorials websites have.
>>
>>8590482
Thank you for the advice friend.
>>
I know people in their 30's and 40's who just changed their field to programming. Some of them are pretty good and beat some of the seniors in terms of knowledge. A lot are self-taught as well. I don't see why something would be "too late" at all. You just have to put the time and effort in.

Some Github portfolio with some projectd ad you're in.
>>
File: evilgreenflower.jpg (249KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
evilgreenflower.jpg
249KB, 1600x1200px
>>8590413
No, it's not too late. You're a kid in my eyes, you can do whatever you want.

>>8590450
>Because from my point of view doing system programming is a lot more technical and therefore more fun and respected.
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.