[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bizzaro question, I hope I phrase it right...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: youcandoit.jpg (694KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
youcandoit.jpg
694KB, 1920x1280px
If you were to go to the North or South Pole and stand directly on the Earth's axis point (I'm talking like directly on top of) and jumped, would there be any difference? Would twisting your jump in either direction make any difference? What I'm getting at is would gravity effect you the same way as it would if you were standing at the Equator?
Thank you for your time and patience if you choose to answer.
>>
A magnetic field is not regular dofus.
>>
>>8589515
Sorry dofus here, don't follow? A short explanation please? I understand that gravity created by the Earth's mass would be consistent regardless of location. I was just curious weather or not a change in position relative to rotation would make any difference?
Has it ever been tested?
>>
>>8589497
you wouldn't be able to jump as high because of inertia you don't have at the poles but the mass difference at the pole and equator is pretty much negligible

Earth's equatorial diameter is 7,926 miles (12,756 km), but from pole to pole, the diameter is 7,898 miles (12,714 km) — a difference of only 28 miles (42 km).
>>
>>8589523
Thank you for your response. So it would make a difference, albeit a negligible one?
>>
>>8589530
Undetectable to human touch. It would require sensitive equipment to measure your takeoff pressure, weight, and time in the air. At that, you would probably need several jumps at both locations measures, and the differences might still be within error bars of the experiment.
>>
>>8589534
Cool, thank you Anon.
>>
>>8589542
a consequence from your question is that the inertia from the planet spinning is why space agencies prefer to launch their rockets closer to the equator
>>
>>8589546
Sweet, thanks for the fun fact! Have a nice night Anon.
>>
>>8589552
y-you too
>>
The gravity gradient (variation with height) above Earth's surface is about 3.1 µGal per centimeter of height (3.1×10−6 s−2), resulting in a maximal difference of about 2 Gal (0.02 m/s2) from the top of Mount Everest to sea level.[6]
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.