[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone give me an example of how cos and arccos are inverses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (6KB, 280x142px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 280x142px
For example inverses in my head "undo" each other to get back the identity

(1/x) * (x) = 1

3x + 5 inverse is 1/3(x-5)

But cos inverse is arccos

How does that shit work?

arccos(cos(x)) does not equal x?
>>
>>8588431
your first two inverses are inverses under multiplication
the function 1/x is certainly not the inverse of the function x. see, apply them both in any order and you just get 1/x.
inverses are like x^2 and sqrt(x). like so: (sqrt(x))^2 = x
so just like that, acos(cos(x)) = x
>>
>>8588431
There are different kinds of inverse, brainlet.
>>
>>8588447
please explain cause im dumb
>>
>>8588446
I dont get what you mean here
>the function 1/x is certainly not the inverse of the function x. see, apply them both in any order and you just get 1/x.

1/x * x = 1
>>
>>8588431
>arccos(cos(x)) does not equal x?
this is literally how arccos is defined
>>
[math] cos(x) [/math]

Dom: [math] \mathbb{R} [/math]

Range: [math] [-1,1] [/math]

now if [math] y = acos(x) [/math] then [math] cos(y) = x [/math] with [math] x \in [-1,1], y \in [0,\pi] [/math]

[math] cos(x) [/math] is not injective so it doesn't have a true inverse, but we can restrict the domain to produce [math] acos(x) [/math]
>>
>>8588456
he means nesting the functions
f(x) = x ; g(x) = 1/x

f(g(x)) = f(1/x) = 1/x
g(f(x)) = g(x) = 1/x
>>
>>8588456
do you know what a function is? read closely, all the information you need is in that post
>>
>>8588491
no please explain you seem to understand
>>
>>8588469
ok i see, so not multiplcation but nesting of the functions.

when you say inverse, we mean function nesting?
>>
>>8588504
you cannot just say "inverse," you have to be more specific.
the additive inverse of 5 is -5 since 5 + (-5) =0
the multiplicative inverse of cos(x) is 1/cos(x) since cos(x) * 1/cos(x) = 1
the funtion inverse of f(x) is g(x) where f(g(x)) = x
arccos(x) happens to be the function inverse of cos(x). you could talk about "nesting" the functions, but the formal term for the operation is "function composition"
>>
>>8588753
Okay this makes sense thank you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.