[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Machine Learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: machine_learning-1024x724.jpg (83KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
machine_learning-1024x724.jpg
83KB, 1024x724px
Hi /sci/ MLfag here in there last year of highschool and planning on studying here: http://www.lth.se/english. I am wondering whether it is better to study Engineering Mathematics with programming courses or Computer Science and Engineering with Statistics courses in order to later research Machine Learning.
>>
>>8588297
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12720908

You would want computer science if you're going to do ML with a lot of Linear Algebra courses and statistics.
>>
>>8588319
Cool anon, thanks for the help
>>
>>8588297
do data science
it's pretty much the same thing but as a data scientist you can literally choose your wage.
I am not kidding, 300k starting is not obviously still unusual but not absurd in silicon valley
>>
>>8588531
He's doing undergrad so doesn't matter what he takes really he'll get introduced to these subjects in a typical compsci or math undergrad then can go to grad school for ML/data science specializations

Wages mean nothing because data science could be automated and disappear in a few years, just learn yhe basics first then in 4 years reassess
>>
>>8588297

An undergrad CS degree is a terminal degree that will NOT prepare you for graduate school in CS or any other field. Major in EE or Pure Math or anything else if you want to pursue graduate education in CS.
>>
>>8588539
but data scientists are the guys doing the automation.
These are exactly the jobs which are nozt going to get rationalized (for now obv.).
Data Science is going to blow up in the next years as companies start gathering Exabytes of data someone has to make use of.
>>
Lund University hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

In my language Lund means dick. Enjoy 20 nigger dicks up your asshole when you go there.
>>
>>8588573
So because in you're language that means dick that means the university is bad?
>>
>>8588539
>Wages mean nothing because data science could be automated and disappear in a few years, just learn yhe basics first then in 4 years reassess
Do you even know what data science is?
>>
>>8588564
But for undergrad should i still do CS or should i listen to >>8588541?
>>
Dual major in CS and math. Not sure why there's such dispute in choosing one or the other.
>>
>>8588598
Yes? No self-respecting university would call itself a cock. Nobody wants to learn how they take nigger dicks up their anuses on the reg.
>>
>>8588608
You should talk to a program advisor at the school or approach an ML professor at your school not listen to anybody here.

What you certainly need is a grad level stats course. For example you can learn regression from a stats textbook but unless you've gone through a thorough graduate-level stats course, you probably haven't seen the edge cases that invalidate assumptions and necessitate a more complex regression e.g. your regression may suggest there is no effect but when you look at the residuals, you may find systematic bias that you can model using a subject-specific random effect or some transformation as a generalized linear model. Shitty ML/data scientists produce invalidate analysis all the time because they don't have a rigorous grad course in stats so ask your program advisor what you need to get into one.
>>
>>8588623
Well is Sweden there is not undergrad system like in the US. Instead you specialize from the start of a 5-year program
>>
>>8588564
I can see you've just taken your first semester of a data science masters.
Trust me, the whole 'exadata' meme is overblown. Garbage data is garbage data, and the more data you have, the harder it is to perform sophisticated machine learning algorithms.
>>
>>8589879
you sure know better than all the companies investing millions in supercomputers.
>>
>>8589888

Which companies?
HPC is dead and underfunded.
Filled with 2nd rate "computer scientists".
>>
>>8589888
>you sure know better than all the companies investing millions in supercomputers.
You're sure eager to show you don't understand the argument.
>>
>>8588319
>>8588506
Not many computer science degrees are very mathematical. You know that mathematics, physics, and engineering are strong on mathematics, though. If you're going the CS route, I would be careful about making sure you're getting enough maths.
>>
ProTip: The best degree for ML is Applied Mathematics.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.