[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would heat sinks work in space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: heat sinks.jpg (2MB, 2560x1740px) Image search: [Google]
heat sinks.jpg
2MB, 2560x1740px
Would heat sinks work in space?
>>
>>8585440
Because there's no air going over them
>>
>>8585437

Kind of but not really. Massive radiator vanes might be effective, but the shit in OP is worthless.
>>
>>8585446
Oh yeah ok, that makes sense

How effective would it be though, just radiation? I suppose if they were big enough....
>>
>>8585448

was memeing, i dont know lmao XD
>>
>>8585448
They will also sublimate/evaporate a bit (which might be significant depending on the material and temperature). That might be useful for short-term mission.
>>
>>8585437

You need heat sinks in space
>>
>>8585457
Yes but without atmosphere the only transfer of energy is radiative.

The thermal exhaust port of the Death Star (Rogue One was never necessary to explain it) works because the interior of the Death Star has an atmosphere. If you blow air out into space you'd be transferring the heat by convection.
>>
>>8585463

It probably does radiate the heat away

IIRC, the author of the above page is big on excess heat being radiated as neutrinos
>>
File: ships (1).png (218KB, 700x474px) Image search: [Google]
ships (1).png
218KB, 700x474px
Example of what real heat radiators would look like.
>>
>>8585601

That's bound to mess up your trajectory.
>>
File: ships (19).jpg (387KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ships (19).jpg
387KB, 1920x1080px
>>8585621
Why?
>>
>>8585601
>>8585621
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/why-does-it-look-like-that-part-3/
>>
>>8585437
You're right heat sinks wouldn't work sink they require air flow to operate. Otherwise, you are left with thermal radiation alone to do the cooling which is an extremely inefficient way of cooling down. Take a vacuum flask you store coffee in for reference.
>>
File: HeatSinksOnISS.jpg (629KB, 4288x2929px) Image search: [Google]
HeatSinksOnISS.jpg
629KB, 4288x2929px
>>8585437
They're in use now.
Doesn't anyone do searches on the web anymore?
http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3702/does-the-iss-need-more-heating-or-more-cooling
>>
File: new_horizons_02[1].jpg (485KB, 1800x1391px) Image search: [Google]
new_horizons_02[1].jpg
485KB, 1800x1391px
>>8585645
Seriously.

>Radiator fins on the New Horizons rtg on lower right
>>
>>8585437
who's to say that inside the infrared-transparent surface there aren't infrared flashlights amping up the emission capability?
>>
>>8585601

Radiators can be anything in the end as long as it radiates the heat away
>>
>>8585621
Why?
>>
>>8585723
Physics
>>
>>8585437
Personally I am more skeptical about the note next to the shield generator claiming the star destroyer has an energy source that is roughly equivalent to a medium-sized star.
>>
>>8585906
what, you mean converting the ship's heat energy to electrical so that it can go back to heat in the first place? that can be done with the same principal as refrigeration w/ a sterling engine on the coils. Then, the flashlight could emit the same infrared photons as say a thousand-dergee blackbody without being itself anywhere near that hot.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.