[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earth and its moon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: moon-earth-21260.jpg (15KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
moon-earth-21260.jpg
15KB, 640x480px
NASA posted an image of Earth and its moon from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
>what is the name of its moon?
Uh, the Moon.
>retards
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6716
>>
>>8585231
Oh cool, we're going to have this argument again?
Okay.

I see no reason not to call it Luna. It's pretty.
Also, the sun is named Sol right?
>>
>>8585238
That's just the Latin name, what are you retards problem?
>>
>>8585371
And nobody speaks latin. Nobody calls Deimos a "Luna", so our moon, which has traditionally been "The Moon" can get a nice, traditional name. I'm all for Luna, anyway.
>>
>>8585231
The Moon is generic and universal. It's the Moon in English, La Lune in French, лyнá (Luna) in Russian... if we chose a latin word, then it loses a bit of universality.
>>
>>8585384
>no one
>the world speak english is wha thi retard think

>>8585387
It's called Luna on Spanish world most speaked language.
Im from Argentina, the moon is Luna, the Sun is Sol.
Now shut the fuck Up.
>>
>>8585238
>we're going to have this argument again?
Which argument is that, Billy?
>>
>>8585391
And it's called der Mond in German, Alqamar in Arabic, and so on.

It would be pointless to name it according to one culture, it should keep its name so that in every language it sounds unique and not alien to that language.
Same with the sun.
>>
>>8585238
The moon is the moon and the sun is the sun. When we invented those names, we didn't even know there were other such objects at all. So if you want to clear up the nomenclature, I advise you to call other large objects orbiting planets satellites (the proper name) and other glowing gas balls stars (again, obviously the proper name). Everything else is plain retarded.
>>
Moon is the name of the satellite that is orbiting the planet Earth. Most satellites are not man made, we call em moons most of the times.
>>
Something related to "the Moon" is called "Lunar"
Something related to "the Sun" is called "Solar"

Luna sounds nice. Sol also. But I speak spanish so I could be biased.

Anyways.
>>
File: Mooninites.png (13KB, 461x325px) Image search: [Google]
Mooninites.png
13KB, 461x325px
>>8585231
We should just call it "The Big Cheese" and lay to rest the conspiracy that the moon isn't made of cheese.
>>
Better use names from a dead language. Selena and Helios
>>
>>8585231
>earth
>not Gaia which makes more sense
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.